PDA

View Full Version : Chargriller guys beware.

cabinetmaker
09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Installed a new thermometer in the chargriller. I knew the stock one was off, but never dreamed how far. I thought it was reading about 50 degrees low, but that s not even close. At 150 the cg read 150. At 200, the cg read 150. At 250 the cg read 160. At 275 the cg read 175. 100 forking degrees!!!!!!! No wonder my Turkeys get done so quick! The therm on the chargriller seems to read progressivly lower as temps rise.

Good news is I was able to keep it at 250 for almost 9 hrs with the TBS and very little work.

Chargrilled
09-06-2008, 05:10 PM
After getting the extra therms installed in the lid and the remote therms I used in a potato wedge I could tell ya that the original CG therm was a POS. I could see if being off by 100* or so. Grill ware at wally world is what I installed in the lid, down by the grill plates and either side of lid, they work nice. It was just hard to drill 7/8" holes in the lid without the proper bit:blushing:.

Tel tru's would work better, only 1/2" holes:msn-wink:

glued2it
09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
That's what happens when you get a chargriller instead of an brinkman SNP:roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
09-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Only accurate method of measuring internal smoker temp is to put a probe in there feeding a digital thermometer.
Those "thermometers" in the door of most smokers are just decoration.
And it will NOT hurt the probe if it "touches metal". Some folks think so, but NO.
You should put it through a potato or small block of wood so it reads the air temp where you are cooking. The very tip is where a probe reads temp.

SmokyOkie
09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
That's correct Mike. The temp at grate level could vary as much as 100 or more from the temp at the level of the door thermo as well. That is what you need to learn what the meat should look like and know the IT of the meat as well.

The OS AW-131 (http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=18&scid=71&pid=763) is prolly as good a wireless as you could want.

If you learn your cooker, you won't much use the door thermo any more.

Think about this as well. A good bimetal thermo costs around $50. You can;t expect that in a $200 cooker.

Most thermos that come with production type cookers are not even bimetal. They're expansion spring thermos which are by nature inaccurate at best.

Hastybake (http://www.hastybake.com/) is the only one I know of that uses a bimetal thermo in their hood.

The Chargriller is a very good value for the price range. You just can't expect a Backwoods (http://www.backwoodsok.com/index.html?840673f8) quality cooker for $200. They use Tel Tru, but I'm an Ashcroft industrial fan myself.
They are calibratible.

cabinetmaker
09-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Ashcroft is the brand I just installed in the CG. its just below the stock one. Using my digital probe is exactly how I checked the calibration of the Ashcroft. It was dead on.

SmokyOkie
09-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Boiling water is always 212 unless it's under pressure, it will get hotter, or at high altitude, it will boil at lower temps. If you are at normal elevation and your pan if water is not under pressure and your thermo shows 212 you are guaranteed that it is accurate.

Ashcroft is my brand of choice for a bimetal thermo as well.

PhillyMike
09-08-2008, 07:31 AM
or if you heat it in a microwave. It can superheat without boiling.

Willkat98
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Never been much of a tater slayer.

I have a vertical, so it has much different heat distribution than the Chargriller

I open a tube of biscuits and place them around the grate levels, wait 20 minutes, then visually see where the hotspots are.

Capt Dan
09-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Never been much of a tater slayer.

I have a vertical, so it has much different heat distribution than the Chargriller

I open a tube of biscuits and place them around the grate levels, wait 20 minutes, then visually see where the hotspots are.

Thats an awesome idea, smoked bisquits!

Good info on this thread. I use the tel tru on the Lang as a reference to the fire, not the temp at grate level, easy to just glance at it between sips and see if the needle is straight up in the air , or she needs some more wood!

SteevieG
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I know I'm late in responding but I use the Maverick with the above mentioned potato. The lid therm is always 30-40 degrees off. I haven't drilled the hole for the probe to go through like many have, I just run it under the lid. Not great for the cable and I lose a tiny bit of smoke that way, but it works well for me.

Smokin Bill
03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Where is the thermometer mounted on your CG? The one I got rid of had the hole for the thermometer up high; I kept that hold plugged and drilled a new hole as close to the grate as I could so I read the temp where the food was rather than at the top where all the heat goes. If you thermometer was on top, it's probably pretty accurate just reading the wrong place.

SteevieG
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Yep, it's up high and it probably is pretty accurate up there. But, as you already mentioned, the temp at grate level is really what matters. Since I don't use the CG much for smoking anymore I may go ahead and drill the hole. Can't really hurt anything since I mostly use it for grilling now anyway and do the smoking on my WSM.

Smokin Bill
03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Yep, it's up high and it probably is pretty accurate up there. But, as you already mentioned, the temp at grate level is really what matters. Since I don't use the CG much for smoking anymore I may go ahead and drill the hole. Can't really hurt anything since I mostly use it for grilling now anyway and do the smoking on my WSM.

Have you done the other "make it work" mods like lower the smoke stack and keep the heat low? They can work pretty good if you make a few easy mods.

SmokyOkie
03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
My son just inverts the ash pan and hangs it at the top notch above the inlet. It seems to difffuse the heat stream enough that he doesn't need to lower the stack. He sways he doesn;t want to extend the stack because it would steal some grill space.

Smokin Bill
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
My son just inverts the ash pan and hangs it at the top notch above the inlet. It seems to difffuse the heat stream enough that he doesn't need to lower the stack. He sways he doesn;t want to extend the stack because it would steal some grill space.

Not sure I understand inverting an ash pan, mine didn't have one. but for the little space the stack takes, it's worth it to me to have heat all the way down to the grate.

SmokyOkie
03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
The ash catcher under the charcoal grate in the main chamber. Turn it upside down and then hang it where the hot air coming into the chamber has to go under it. It spreads the heat evenly and does away with th blow torch effect that you would have if you didn;t extend the stack down or invert the ash pan.

Smokin Bill
03-13-2009, 05:13 AM
The ash catcher under the charcoal grate in the main chamber. Turn it upside down and then hang it where the hot air coming into the chamber has to go under it. It spreads the heat evenly and does away with th blow torch effect that you would have if you didn;t extend the stack down or invert the ash pan.

We must be talking about two different smokers.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SteevieG
03-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Yep, I do that and I extend the stack down. I have a basket for the fuel, too. It works OK on ribs and things that I don't have to do all night. I just don't trust it for overnight cooks anymore, even with the remote probe thermometer. I do like to do ribs on it so that I don't have to cut or roll them, though.

I suppose it's not as bad as I make it sound, I just like the WSM better. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
We must be talking about two different smokers.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Chargriller smokin pro?

Chargrilled
03-13-2009, 12:35 PM

ash pan, this one is almost destroyed but you get the idea.:shrug:

Smokin Bill
03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Chargriller smokin pro?

What a DA I am....:blushing::blushing: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

BA_LoKo
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM

ash pan, this one is almost destroyed but you get the idea.:shrug:

Brother, mine didn't come with wheels and an axle in the fire box. Did you get that at Lowe's? :roflmaoha0:

My fire books looks very similar to yours. Very warped and very well used. I've gotten my money's worth out of it though.