PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Vittles

Teaser
08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
A little late posting, but here's what was for dinner last Saturday. Baby backs with a light rub of Spicy Texas Rib Ranger (which I didn't think to much of), hot links and a plain fattie for snackin'. Not shown are the rev'ed up brown beans, cornbread and assorted veggies. Amazing what a little heat, TBS and time can accomplish :thumbs up:

peculiarmike
08-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Yep, I agree! Amazing. Great looking ribs.
And hot links are one of my all time favorites! What brand?
I generally use Earl Campbell's hot links.
Love a good hot link sammie! :drooling:

Fatback Joe
08-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I was curious about the hot links also.........you don't see or hear much about them around here.

Teaser
08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
They were (I say were cause they're long gone) J.C. Potter links.

I've always had a weakness for smoked hot links.

Would like to finish off the ribs today, but I'm on the road again (OKC this time). Have to settle for a good midnight snack with I get back home Thursday.

SmokyOkie
08-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Joe, hot links ar a kinda Oklatex thing.

Teaser, you need educated to Mountainview hotlinks, out of Stillwell Okla.

There used to be a good q joint just off meridian and Reno. I saw them on the food channel and recognized them from when I had eaten there.

Fatback Joe
08-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I am familiar with them to some degree, but never have eaten one.........not a common item around here.

Jake
08-26-2008, 02:19 PM
is a hot link like a spicy smokey or is there more to it??:blushing:

Jake
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=769&d=1219757769
i know im new to smoking but i dont get this?? hows this work? seems to be missing a few key elements.
teaser chow looked great by the way, sorry guys full of ? and need to absorb it all

PigCicles
08-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Well it looks like the childs toy needs a couple more wheels. The tire makes a much better planter if you have it flat on the ground. The gate might be tweaked a bit. I still haven't found Waldo. But other than that your thin blue smoke (almost invisible blue smoke) is great! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

I'm not sure if I answered your question or not. If I missed it, keep trying.

TX Sandman
08-26-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure if I answered your question or not. If I missed it, keep trying.

I think Jake was wondering if that stack was the entire smoker.

Basically, Jake, that's a pic of the smokestack from Teaser's smoker. It shows the thin blue smoke (TBS) used to smoke foods. The firebox and cooking chambers are out of frame.

SmokyOkie
08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I am familiar with them to some degree, but never have eaten one.........not a common item around here.

You really should order some form Fannestil in Emporia, KS.

is a hot link like a spicy smokey or is there more to it??:blushing:

Generally speaking, they are spicy, but not just hot spicy. Good ones are full of herbs and spices, a real artisan type sausage. Most good ones come already smoked.

Others are little more than red hot dogs with jalapeņo in them.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=769&d=1219757769
i know im new to smoking but i dont get this?? hows this work? seems to be missing a few key elements.
teaser chow looked great by the way, sorry guys full of ? and need to absorb it all

That's the Thin Blue Smoke coming out of the stack of his smoker.

PigCicles
08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks Rob. I guess I spaced through that one. Silly me :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
08-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Basically, Jake, that's a pic of the smokestack from Teaser's smoker. It shows the thin blue smoke (TBS) used to smoke foods. The firebox and cooking chambers are out of frame.

Between the flower pot smokers and the drum smokers, I don't blame Jake for wondering.

I must admit, I had to look at it twice.

Teaser
08-26-2008, 08:00 PM

Teaser, you need educated to Mountainview hotlinks, out of Stillwell Okla.

There used to be a good q joint just off meridian and Reno. I saw them on the food channel and recognized them from when I had eaten there.

Dang, I'm sitting between I-40 and Reno on Meridian right now - do you remember the name of the place?

Have to go to a corporate type dinner tomorrow night down the street at the Kona Ranch Steak House, ever heard of it?

I'll look for the Mountainview links and give them a try.

Teaser
08-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Spot on, just showing a little TBS. Finally figured out how to consistently get just the amount I want on this smoker.

SmokyOkie
08-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Dang, I'm sitting between I-40 and Reno on Meridian right now - do you remember the name of the place?

Have to go to a corporate type dinner tomorrow night down the street at the Kona Ranch Steak House, ever heard of it?

I'll look for the Mountainview links and give them a try.

Where ya stayin, the Biltmore?

I checked the yellow pages online and I'm not sure. It may be the next big street north of Reno.

It looked like it may have been Earl's, but the map looked like they are west of Meridian. I'm dead sure it was east of Meridian.

there are tons of restaurants in that area, but most are just sos or just plain bad. Charleston's is good, Zio's is goood if you're in the mood for Italian, I usually camped out at the bar at the Outback. Nothin special, but fairly dependable.

wish I had a dollar for every night I spent over there.

I never tried County Line BBQ (way over on the opposite side of town), but a lot of folks talked about it.

Seems like it was just next door to the strip club at Reno and Meridian.

Kona ranch is between you and the airport on Meridian. Forget the steak and fill up on their coconut honey butter and fresh baked bread. The steaks are great, but MAN the bread and butter.

peculiarmike
08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Getting back to hot links.
They are certainly not mostly a OklaTX thing. Come on up to KC. Any joint worth it's sauce has good hot links, a lot make their own.
Quick's BBQ on 7th has about the best sausage sammie I ever. It's a 45 mile drive one way but I have to have one on a regular basis.

Chargrilled
08-27-2008, 10:33 AM
They are certainly not mostly a OklaTX thing. Come on up to KC. Any joint worth it's sauce has good hot links, a lot make their own.
Quick's BBQ on 7th has about the best sausage sammie I ever. It's a 45 mile drive one way but I have to have one on a regular basis.

We can get em round Chicago area also, not real sure what a good brand is round here though. Maybe Bill knows??

SmokyOkie
08-27-2008, 10:34 AM

I keep tellin' ya, KC got most of their BBQ inoput from the trail hands coming up from Oklahoma and Texas. The other half came from the cattle buyers coming from out east. That's where the wet ribs and pork shoulder came from.:smack::stir::msn-wink:

Willkat98
08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
We can get em round Chicago area also, not real sure what a good brand is round here though. Maybe Bill knows??

I'll have to dig up the instructions, but you can go to Peoria Packing House here and order hot links by the case, by asking for the recipe used at various BBQ restaurants here (most of which have roots in the deep South)

The Chicago varitation on hot links can sometimes be a little courser ground than I care for, having been eating an Alabama fine ground hot link from my local joint for the past 6 years.

Let me see if I can find the method, as I'm sure this can be done in other cities once you find if your local joint uses a packing house.

jts70
08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
I'll have to dig up the instructions, but you can go to Peoria Packing House here and order hot links by the case, by asking for the recipe used at various BBQ restaurants here (most of which have roots in the deep South)

The Chicago varitation on hot links can sometimes be a little courser ground than I care for, having been eating an Alabama fine ground hot link from my local joint for the past 6 years.

Let me see if I can find the method, as I'm sure this can be done in other cities once you find if your local joint uses a packing house.

You may want to try Bobak's , I go every time I am in Chicago. http://www.bobak.com/

SmokyOkie
08-28-2008, 09:45 AM

You can get just about anything in Chicago, including a lot of things you don't want to get, like mugged.:D

Bill, when you say fine ground are talking like Hot dog fine, or kielbasa fine ground?

Willkat98
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
You can get just about anything in Chicago, including a lot of things you don't want to get, like mugged.:D

Bill, when you say fine ground are talking like Hot dog fine, or kielbasa fine ground?

In between.

Not completely smooth like HD, but no fillers in there either. Think coarse sea salt or along those lines.

SmokyOkie
08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I hate cereal sausages. I like a medium grind as well, unless of course, it's andouille.

I was just browsing that Boback site that JTS posted the link to. Man I wish it wasn't in Chicago. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Jake
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM

yup thats what i was getting at, funny i actualy understood this morning, guess i should sometimes wait to post things once you have had a few wobbly pop's :msn-wink: im balmming it on being on graveyards:blushing:

Teaser
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Where ya stayin, the Biltmore?

I checked the yellow pages online and I'm not sure. It may be the next big street north of Reno.

It looked like it may have been Earl's, but the map looked like they are west of Meridian. I'm dead sure it was east of Meridian.

there are tons of restaurants in that area, but most are just sos or just plain bad. Charleston's is good, Zio's is goood if you're in the mood for Italian, I usually camped out at the bar at the Outback. Nothin special, but fairly dependable.

wish I had a dollar for every night I spent over there.

I never tried County Line BBQ (way over on the opposite side of town), but a lot of folks talked about it.

Seems like it was just next door to the strip club at Reno and Meridian.

Kona ranch is between you and the airport on Meridian. Forget the steak and fill up on their coconut honey butter and fresh baked bread. The steaks are great, but MAN the bread and butter.

Yep, the Biltmore. Was not to impressed with Kona's. Ribs and brisket were good, but on the bland side. Service was first rate though. Charleston's has always been a favorite, usually visit the one in Norman or the one located by the Channel 2 studios in Tulsa (just north of 41st on Peoria I think?). Got burned out on Outback some time back, haven't set foot in one for quite awhile. Dined at Zio's a few times and always enjoyed it.

I left my laptop battery charger at home and of course the battery died before I had a chance to read your response. I'll have to check out Earl's next trip.

Know of any good grub in Park City, UT?

Willkat98
08-29-2008, 08:45 AM
You may want to try Bobak's , I go every time I am in Chicago. http://www.bobak.com/

I grew up 2 miles from their store there on Archer.

Their summer grilling sausage is great!

They had opened stores in the burbs in the past 5 years, but all closed after family lawsuits started.

If anyone is flying into Midway Airport, I highly recommend stopping. They also had a restaurant attached. Not sure if its still there.

Although not as fresh as travelling into the city, you can now get Bobak's in the local markets too.

Thanks for the reminder js! I'll stop at Jewel (Albertsons subsidiary) for some Bobak's polish for this weekend!

SmokyOkie
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Yep, the Biltmore. Was not to impressed with Kona's. Ribs and brisket were good, but on the bland side. Service was first rate though.
Know of any good grub in Park City, UT?

What do you expect when you order Q at a steak house?:tap:

Never been to Park city. Sorry, can't help there.

jts70
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I grew up 2 miles from their store there on Archer.

Their summer grilling sausage is great!

They had opened stores in the burbs in the past 5 years, but all closed after family lawsuits started.

If anyone is flying into Midway Airport, I highly recommend stopping. They also had a restaurant attached. Not sure if its still there.

Although not as fresh as travelling into the city, you can now get Bobak's in the local markets too.

Thanks for the reminder js! I'll stop at Jewel (Albertsons subsidiary) for some Bobak's polish for this weekend!

I love the polish sausage! Hopefully I'll be in the city in Nov. for a Bears game. I'll be stocking up for the winter.