PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Jackb
05-09-2014, 12:31 PM
If you could only use one wood for smoking, what would it be and if you don't mind, why? Thanks!!

BYBBQ
05-09-2014, 01:21 PM
That's a tough question. I like to use several types of wood depending on what I'm cooking.
I use pecan the most. I use it on most things.
Apple, peach, or cherry are very good for poultry and mixed with pecan.
I also use orange and grapefruit for poultry and seafood.

Pick-up a couple different bags of chunks and see what you like the best. :msn-wink:

tomshoots
05-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Pecan, Hands down. Great for everything I smoke. Milder than hickory, stronger than mesquite. Sweet and nutty!

I love the fruit woods on pork and poultry though,

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
05-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Post Oak. It's easy for me to get, and it doesn't leave a bitter flavor on a long smoke.

PigCicles
05-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm in a toss up on this one. I like and use cherry. But also like and use pecan quite a bit.

Good question .. if I had to choose probably pecan

No chickens were harmed in this statement. But it doesn't mean I didn't want to.

Short One
05-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Hands down it would be cherry. I like the taste and it is readily available in my area. Several friends help locate trees that people need to get rid of.:thumbs up:

BluDawg
05-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Since I have more Post oak than mesquite.... Post Oak it's cheap sweat & saw gas

Primo
05-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I myself mixing Nut Wood & Fruit Wood together.
In most cases i use Hickory .
Certain food's certain Wood.

chester
05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
apple and or cherry for me...... but don't knock alder for fish.....

i've been known to toss in red oak for a long burn as well.

kingkoch42
05-11-2014, 05:27 AM
I use a lot of Oak but that is because I have a lot of Oak.
I find that too much Oak smoke or Sweet Acacia (I got a lot of that too) smoke is over powering. I don't know if it is true, but Sweet Acacia is supposed to be like Mesquite.

I love Cherry, Maple or Apple for pork. I like Pecan but can't find it in France - I have to order it from England and the shipping keeps me from using it very much.

Jackb
05-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Really good mix of replies; THANKS everybody~:thumbs up: