PDA

View Full Version : Oh The Versitle Webber Bar-be Kettle

BluDawg
05-08-2014, 06:16 PM
This iconic piece of American BBQ Genius IMO is King. It's the one piece of equipment I can not do with out. It never fails to produce year round. I grill steaks one meal and Smoke a Brisket or a Butt on little fuel set & forget up to 16 hrs just by changing the fire lay and a little creative use of the pitmasters Duct tape (Aluminum Foil)to redirect the air flow. It has given me more for my money than any other piece of gear.
The OTS I have I bought new in 1985 for 65.00 It has held up remarkably well and still has all the original pieces. You have Kettle
your proud of lets see it.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/Weber/PHOT0092.jpg

BYBBQ
05-08-2014, 06:58 PM
They are hard to beat as an all round cooker. I have a modded OTG that seldom gets used anymore since I bought the Keg.
I also have a Smokey Joe Platinum that has been modded with the added bottom vents, ash catcher, and temp gauge. In it's rolling cart with my 15 gal. Mini UDS....

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Misc%201/100_1291Small.jpg

tomshoots
05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Purty hard to beat a 25.5 inch Weber! Done a lot of great cooks on one. And the little Smokey Joe was my go-to when I lived in an apartment.

chester
05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
oh how I love my weber..... i've done

Burgers - every style,

Chicken -too many ways to count
Ribs, steaks, meatloaf’s, ABTS, dogs and sausages, fajitas, kabobs, fruits, vegetables, potatoes, endless foil wrapped meals when it was too hot to cook indoors, fish on wood planks, smoked fish with wood…. Pork …bacon wrapping everything imaginable,… I’ve taken my weber to parties, camping, get togethers , any reason to use my Weber , if I am cooking for a crowd or at home for two, it is my go to summer/ spring fall and sometimes when I need a break from the long cold winter cooker…

I love my Weber …..

cabinetmaker
05-09-2014, 06:27 AM
I've never owned one, or cooked on one. Oh my gravy! How have I survived these 65 years. My chargriller does all that and more.

BluDawg
05-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I have some Love for a Smoky Joe as well it can be a Very versatile lil cooker too I will do everything it's big brother can on a smaller scale and with a little imagination transform it's self in to a nice lil smoker.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCN0725.jpg

BluDawg
05-09-2014, 09:18 AM
I've never owned one, or cooked on one. Oh my gravy! How have I survived these 65 years. My chargriller does all that and more.
Sorry you have had a sheltered life:monkey:

kingkoch42
05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Sorry, no pictures but.. a little story.
Weber started to introduce the kettle in France back in the beginning of the 80's but wow what a price. In 1982 on a business trip to the States I found one for $75 (they were costing close to 8 times that much here) so...
I said, I have to take a chance. I bought it, cut the box down so it could be checked as luggage (didn't have to pay for extra luggage in business class back then) and brought it back !

Nobody at French customs even looked at.

I had many a year grilling on it and often had to replace the grill and/or the grill supporting the charcoal with grills that I could find (Weber replacement parts at the time were unknown here).

Once I even succeeded in burning the wooden handle so I made a new one.
One of the rivets holding one of the bottom vents rusted out, I replaced it with a large screw.

The end came in 2012 when one of the leg supports rusted out. I figure that 30 years for a BBQ that cost $75 is a pretty good deal.

I have a Spirit E-310 Premium now - I do not think that it last that long. I miss the kettle.

PigCicles
05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Webers are hard to beat for versatility. Take care of em and they go a long time. Good share!

No chickens were harmed in this statement. But it doesn't mean I didn't want to.

peculiarmike
05-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I picked up a well used one sitting by the street. Cut the top 4" off, kept the lid, and scrapped the rest. I'm going to use the ring I cut off to adapt my rotisserie to my drum and the lid will fit perfectly.
Never owned a Weber. They sure have sold a bunch of them.

tomshoots
05-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Had a few of them too. Great cookers!!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Rumblefish
05-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Totally agree w/ Bludawg. Some of my fondest childhood memories were helping my dad watch the big Weber. As an adult, I have always had 1 or 5 being used:msn-wink:. I would never want to be without one.