PDA

View Full Version : got a ham tonight

Jake
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
anyone got any secret to any marinade or rub, other wise im just going to do it normal, but im open to suggestions

cabinetmaker
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
What kinda ham ya doing?

Chargrilled
08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
rotiss a ham??

fresh ham or cured already?

If cured and packaged I believe you will just be warmin her up.

These guys will be able to offer more help as I have not done much with em on the q.

Jake
08-22-2008, 03:40 PM
it's a prepackaged black forest ham..........it is already cured so we only need to reheat it but not sure what kind of rub/marinade to use?? any suggestions would be great :sign0092:

cabinetmaker
08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Mine is simple. Place ham in oval baking pan, flat side down. Pour on one bottle of Newcastle brown ale, 8 ounces real maple syrup, 8 ounces honey, and smoke @ 225 for 6 hrs.

SmokyOkie
08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Make a pates of brown sugar and cherry brandy. To it add ground clove, allspice, nutmeg, mace and cinnamon. Score the ham 1/2" deep in a cross hatch pattern to allow the glaze inside.

Smudge it with cherry smoke @ 200 indirect until it comes up to 140 internal, that is assuming you want it warm and not hot. There is danger in cooking a cured ham. it will dry out if you actually 'cook' it. you want to think in terms of reheating it rather than cooking it.

While you smudge it, catch the glaze that drips off and reapply often. It's OK to smudge cuz the cherry is light and the sugar will keep it from getting bitter.

when it's warm. stand it on end on foil, apply the glaze again wrap foil up around it tightly and let it rest for about 45 minutes.

Jake
08-22-2008, 11:10 PM
:msn-wink:sounds good, thanks for all the ideas guys. however i had to do what i came up with , i decided i would go with a honey mustard galze, warmed up some left over korean bbq ribs and some ranch crusted potatoes all and all it turned out ok, im not sure if i am sold on the honey mustard on the ham though. (good just not sure im sold on it yet, i think i'll keep it for chicken) heres some pics anyway, i know you guys usually only post pics of smokin but what the heck:msn-wink: (little embarassed about the dirty grill:blushing:) however it was on the oldest boys chores today to shop vac up the crap, but you all know teenagers..... oooooooooooh i forgot that one:roflmaoha0:
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/jakeandpippa/100_0739.jpg?t=1219463356
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/jakeandpippa/100_0741.jpg?t=1219463616
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/jakeandpippa/100_0742.jpg?t=1219463738
here i am chowing down, i look drunker than i really am:roflmaoha0: did you notice the chow bell to my left shoulder
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/jakeandpippa/100_0750.jpg?t=1219463836
here we are chowing and the girl trying to make a run for it to play with some friends.:msn-wink:
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/jakeandpippa/100_0748.jpg?t=1219464054
well all in all not bad for in a pinch, tomoorrow is smokin some ribs mmmmmmmmmmmmmm (in case your wondering my vote was on spares:msn-wink:)
you guys ever find it funny that you look at the pic after and we're the only ones with a beer:blushing: oh well all in all i'd give dinner a 7 or a 8 out of 10 not bad for flying by the seat of our pants tonight

Jake
08-22-2008, 11:15 PM
oh another haha note, if you look to the right on one of the pics of the ham you will see french fries that fell off the pan and into the grill, thought that was funny since another post was on frozen french fries:msn-wink:

vegasbbqer
08-23-2008, 12:30 AM
The ham looks mighty tasty, but that dining room of yours has a view I would kill for. Nothing but concrete and asphalt here in vegas (oh and the back of the neighbors house). :thumbs up:

TX Sandman
08-23-2008, 12:58 AM
:kewlpics: Great pics, Jake! Looks like that ham came out pretty good!

heres some pics anyway, i know you guys usually only post pics of smokin but what the heck:msn-wink:

Shoot, not me! If it's live fire, it's goin' up!

The ham looks mighty tasty, but that dining room of yours has a view I would kill for. Nothing but concrete and asphalt here in vegas (oh and the back of the neighbors house). :thumbs up:

:whathesaid: I have a view of my backyard, but it's dead grass and kid toys. Won't trade you, neither.

SmokyOkie
08-23-2008, 10:24 AM
:kewlpics: Great pics, Jake! Looks like that ham came out pretty good!

Shoot, not me! If it's live fire, it's goin' up!

:whathesaid:

That and I'm still trying to find the picture of the dirty grill.:D

A wise man once said "never trust a man with a clean grill."

PigCicles
08-23-2008, 10:31 AM
That ham looks good to me. Shoot even the outside dining looks nice. But I'm still trying to find that dirty grill you were talking about :msn-wink: We all have dirty grills.

:sign0092: for sharing

glued2it
08-23-2008, 12:25 PM
A clean grill/smoker is a new one.:msn-wink:

:kewlpics: Looks pretty good! I personally don't really do anything to the hams.A little mustard slather and no rub(usually).

Since I cure them that's where most of my flavor comes in.

Hams are awsome and I don't know why people don't cook them that much.

I even smoke caned ham.:blushing:

SmokyOkie
08-23-2008, 06:53 PM
A clean grill/smoker is a new one.:msn-wink:

:kewlpics: Looks pretty good! I personally don't really do anything to the hams.A little mustard slather and no rub(usually).

Since I cure them that's where most of my flavor comes in.

Hams are awsome and I don't know why people don't cook them that much.

I even smoke caned ham.:blushing:

what is caned ham?

BTW-I love dirty gir er grills!