PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Sandwiches from left over pulled pork

fredrogers
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
The other day I made Cuban sandwiches with some left over pulled pork. A Cuban is a panini sandwich.

4 hogi rolls
1/2 lb Ham
1/2 lb Provolone cheese
1/2 lb Pulled Pork
Pickles
Mustard

Assemble the sandwich toppings. I like Mustard on both sides of the bun, but the wife and kids skipped the mustard and pickles.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/cuban/0820081819a.jpg

Now the fun part. Butter the outsides of the bun. I do not have a panini press so I used 2 large skillets. In my case one was a stainless model and the other cast iron.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/cuban/0820081924a.jpg

I heated the cast iron on high and the stainless on medium high for about 5 minutes. Then I turned off the heat and placed 2 sandwiches in the stainless pan and staked the cast iron on top. I let them cook for about 5 minutes.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/cuban/0820081819b.jpg

The whole family loved them! :eating:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/cuban/0820081829a.jpg

Enjoy!

-=fred=-

Chargrilled
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
and im sittin here chowin on a cold piece of pizza.:tap:

That looks great, going to have to give them a try, :wow:

SmokyOkie
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Looks great Fred. In fact, the Okette and I were just trying to figure out what to have for dinner tonight. We haven't done them for a while, so we will do them tonight.

We like fried plantain chips with vinegar and salt to go along with them.

Here's a pic or two of an earlier cook:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cuban%20Sammies%20and%20Plantain%20Chips/Feb262008upload001.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cuban%20Sammies%20and%20Plantain%20Chips/Feb262008upload002.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cuban%20Sammies%20and%20Plantain%20Chips/Feb262008upload003.jpg

I have a 3# meat press that I use, and flip em halfway through. The CI skillet is a great idea!

Willkat98
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
you two should be brought up on charges for abusing your pork.

Assault by mustardization.

Other than that funkus, they look really good

PigCicles
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
:wow: Looks pretty good to me! And the fried plantains look wonderful too Okie.

I should eat something before I chew a hole in the monitor.

Florida Bill
08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Good idea on the Cubans! They really look good.

Chargrilled
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM

I take it someone doesnt like mustard, slather your butt all over with steamy hot mustard before you put rub on???:drooling: Although you cant taste it.:shrug:

How can you have a Chicago dog without mustard, they have pork in them,?????? a**holes and elbows!!!!!:smack:

cabinetmaker
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
:wow:, both of those look great. I'm gonna have to do that with some leftovers from my next butt.

Thanks for sharing.

Willkat98
08-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I love pissing off the foodies when I post in a Chicago food forum that I put ketchup and relish only on my hot dogs (never had the "garden on a bun" thing, and never will. Growing up, that was a north side (read Cubs=g.ay) of town thing)

And my italian beefs get sport peppers cuz I like it hotter than giardinara (sp) which is another foodie no-no.

As far as a slather, if you can't taste it, why bother?

Never have I found the need to put any type of "adherence" technique to get rub to stick to anything.

But alas, that is a different thread altogether.

BOT!

I like the fried plaintain idea. I usually fry them in butter and then add brown sugar near the end and "candy" them.

I'll have to try them on/with a nice pulled pork Cuban sammy

SmokyOkie
08-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I love pissing off the foodies when I post in a Chicago food forum that I put ketchup and relish only on my hot dogs
Add fresh chopped sweet onion and that's my dog!

And my italian beefs get sport peppers cuz I like it hotter than giardinara (sp) which is another foodie no-no.
I use hot pepperoncini. It's a texture and flavor thing. Never heard of usinig giardeniera. Sounds too much like giardia to me!

As far as a slather, if you can't taste it, why bother?
My thought exactly. Not only that, but would have to form a barrier to prevent the rub from penetrating the meat.

Never have I found the need to put any type of "adherence" technique to get rub to stick to anything.

But alas, that is a different thread altogether.

BOT!

I like the fried plaintain idea. I usually fry them in butter and then add brown sugar near the end and "candy" them.

Got the idea years ago when I had some at a Cuba restaurant in Miami

I'll have to try them on/with a nice pulled pork Cuban sammy

As for the mustard, it's part of what makes it a Cuban sammie. A good deal of what you saw on mine was cheese, I think.

Funny, I don't really like yellow mustard, but it's a must on a cuban.:shrug:

fredrogers
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Nice! Those plantains look awesome.

You said that you use vinegar on them, what kind malt vinegar?

The last time I fired plantains I gave them a garlic water bath half way though.

I love salt and vinegar chips so that sounds very nice.

-=fred=-

Jake
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
all look dam good to me, i love the home made panni press, im going to give it a shot (although i would like to buy one)
i must say im with bill with the mustard, but the rest of the family would put mustard on it too if they had the chance.:msn-wink:

Bbq Bubba
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Man, i'm glad you said it!!

Those sammies look great guys, right up until you killed all the flavor with that yellow chit......:ack2:

SmokyOkie
08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Nice! Those plantains look awesome.

You said that you use vinegar on them, what kind malt vinegar?

The last time I fired plantains I gave them a garlic water bath half way though.

I love salt and vinegar chips so that sounds very nice.

-=fred=-

Cider, but you could use malt.
There's no room for the water bath on these. They take about 3 minutes in the deep fryer.

all look dam good to me, i love the home made panni press, im going to give it a shot (although i would like to buy one)
i must say im with bill with the mustard, but the rest of the family would put mustard on it too if they had the chance.:msn-wink:

Man, i'm glad you said it!!

Those sammies look great guys, right up until you killed all the flavor with that yellow chit......:ack2:

Hey guys! Don't tell us about the mustard, talk to the Cubans.:smack:

It ain't a Cuban sammie w/o the mustard.

I will also repeat that even though I really don't like yellow mustard, I like it on theses sammies.

Willkat98
08-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey guys! Don't tell us about the mustard, talk to the Cubans.:smack:

It ain't a Cuban sammie w/o the mustard.

I will also repeat that even though I really don't like yellow mustard, I like it on theses sammies.

Try it with ketchup, and call it a Puerto Rican Club sammie

Jake
08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Try it with ketchup, and call it a Puerto Rican Club sammie
LOL:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: do tell who if i put on relish i would be:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Willkat98
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
LOL:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: do tell who if i put on relish i would be:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Argentina Po' Boy

fredrogers
08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Argentina Po' Boy

Nice LOL!

-=fred=-

peculiarmike
08-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I likes me a good Cuban sammie. And I Likes mustard on it also. That's the way it's supposed to be.
Last one I had had salami on it plus the regular pork/ham! And it was really good too, added a bit of interest.
Gonna have to try those fried nanners momma!
(I know, they ain't nanners)

SmokyOkie
08-23-2008, 10:45 AM
They looked so good yesterday that we did have them for dinner last night. In fact, I've still got a little pork thawed so I might just throw a couple together for lunch.

Mike, you do know that those are a different kind of nanna dontcha?

Willkat98
08-23-2008, 04:36 PM
IThat's the way it's supposed to be.

Last one I had had salami on it plus the regular pork/ham! And it was really good too, added a bit of interest.

What you had was close to a Cuban, but is called a Maverick Sammie.

From what I read, the addition of the salami is a favorite of Mark Cuban.

peculiarmike
08-24-2008, 02:11 AM
They looked so good yesterday that we did have them for dinner last night. In fact, I've still got a little pork thawed so I might just throw a couple together for lunch.

Mike, you do know that those are a different kind of nanna dontcha?

Yep. Just stirrin' chit. :D

peculiarmike
08-24-2008, 02:13 AM
What you had was close to a Cuban, but is called a Maverick Sammie.

From what I read, the addition of the salami is a favorite of Mark Cuban.

Gotta say it is a good sammie. The salami adds a nice touch.