PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Oven

Amigatec
10-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Anybody ever make one?

Since I have the new smoker now, I am thinking about turning my old one into an outdoor oven.

cabinetmaker
10-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Your smoker IS an outdoor oven. An oven is just a heated box that cooks food. It can be heated by gas, electric, charcoal, or wood, or even the sun depending on where you live.

I have 4 ovens on my patio:msn-wink:

Amigatec
10-19-2013, 12:05 PM
I want to use it for baked beans, and DO cobbler.

PigCicles
10-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Go for it. Like Curt said though .. an oven is just a heated box. If you convert your old one get some pics to show what you're doing. Ask if you have questions or want to run an idea across us.

This message sent grudgingly via tapatalk 4

BluDawg
10-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Your smoker IS an outdoor oven. An oven is just a heated box that cooks food. It can be heated by gas, electric, charcoal, or wood, or even the sun depending on where you live.

I have 4 ovens on my patio:msn-wink::roflmaoha0::whathesaid:All you need is a hotter fire. I run my pits 300+ so they cook what ever I through in.

Amigatec
10-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I am thinking something like using the fire to just heat the oven, and running the chimney differently.

I have my old smoker that is a reverse flow offset, and extending the plate in the bottom to seal the bottom and running a piece of pipe from the extension to the chimney. Tht way the smoke doesn't flavor what I am cooking.

cabinetmaker
10-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Well ok. Then trade me the reverse for a gas oven.:roflmaoha0:

BluDawg
10-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I want to use it for baked beans, and DO cobbler.

I am thinking something like using the fire to just heat the oven, and running the chimney differently.

I have my old smoker that is a reverse flow offset, and extending the plate in the bottom to seal the bottom and running a piece of pipe from the extension to the chimney. Tht way the smoke doesn't flavor what I am cooking.last time I looked my DO had a Lid that keeps the heat in and the smoke out then there is the new high tech miracle product called Aluminum Foil:shrug:

Amigatec
10-19-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm just wanting explore different options.

I may make the plate and pipe assembly removable.

jerry516planes
10-20-2013, 12:01 PM
I cook pies, cobblers and deserts in my gravity feed. We like the smokey flavor and is only a matter of increasing the heat. A wood smoker would be a lot harder to get less smoke with but not impossible.

Amigatec
10-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I plan to use just charcoal in it, I would like to bake bread in it as well.

jerry516planes
10-20-2013, 01:52 PM
When I was in the middle east the bedowins built adobe ovens. They would brick up a tube of about 16" inside diameter with an outside diameter of 24" or more. They would make it about 24 to 30" tall. The tube would have one brick left out at the bottom for a firedraft. They would fill it to the top with wood and let it burn down to coals. Once the bricks are good and hot they scrape oll the coals out and seal the airhole at the bottom. Place bread, goats or whatever they want to bake inside and seal the top. The residual heat from the bricks cooks what is inside. A simple concept.

I always thought if I had time I would build one out of a piece of concrete pipe.

I just have too many projects the way it is. LOL.

jerry516planes
10-20-2013, 02:11 PM
If you are a fabricator the gravity feed system is very effective.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?8953-Gravity-Fed-smoker