PDA

View Full Version : Wood for smokers

mrwizardgi
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey all...

I have a Char-Griller Grillin' Pro 3001 that I added a sfb to. I have only done a couple of smokes and have only ever used wood chips. My dad got me a BUNCH of mulberry wood that he cut down last fall to use.

I don't know much about wood (other than what is ok or not ok to use) so I have a few ?'s I'd like to ask:

1. What does 'seasoned' wood look like. Although this stuff has been cut for about a year it looks like it still has quite a bit of moisture in it. How do I know if it's dry enough?

2. Does bark have to be removed to use it? My dad doesn't have a splitter and the bark isn't brittle enough to just peel it off.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks all...

J-

Geek with Fire
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
My thoughts on your questions are as followed:
For me seasoned means 2 splits sound like a broken baseball bat when you clank them together.
Moisture is bad, and if the bark doesn't easily come off, it's probably not dry enough. As far as the removal of the bark, if the wood is seasoned well enough, you don't need to remove it as it will burn rather quickly and not effect the smoke.

You can use wet wood, but I would preburn it first. I don't like burning it down to embers because you then lose quite a bit of the smoke flavor. I put mine in a metal basket and cook it over charcoal in my drum. When the wood starts cracklin its probably good enough.

Hope this helps.

mrwizardgi
08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
GwF:

Thanks for info. I will go home and check it out. I've been having a hard time finding good quality chunks of wood around here so I am hoping this stuff will be ready for the smoker before too long. I'm tired to using chips and having to add more every time I turn around! I'm thinking of buying some off of e-bay, but I don't know what a 'good' price for wood would be. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again!

J-

Jake
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
i read from a post earlier that there is a link at the top of the site what helps keep the q going (buy specialty wood)

cabinetmaker
08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
mrwizardgi, Where might the land of scarlet and cream be? Might be someone here thats close and can help ya out

SmokyOkie
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I think Scarlet and cream is the Nebraskan's knock off of UO's 'crimson and cream'.:roflmaoha0:

Welcome to The Joint Mr Wizard!

Why don't you stop by the 'Cmon in and sit down' forum and introduce yourself.

If the wood has been cut for a year, it is fully seasoned unless, od course it's been kept wet the whole time.

Splits will work better in you SNP. You shouldn't need a splitter if the logs aren't too big. you ought to be able to split it down with a hatchet and a hammer. Mulberry is good smokin' wood. You're lucky to have a bunch fall at you feet.

mrwizardgi
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
No rip offs...just the 'real deal'! :msn-wink:

I will head that way and put my 2 cents in. Thanks again for the advice all. Smokers are some of the best and friendliest peoples on the internets!

J-

SmokyOkie
08-15-2008, 09:35 PM
No rip offs...just the 'real deal'! :msn-wink:

I will head that way and put my 2 cents in. Thanks again for the advice all. Smokers are some of the best and friendliest peoples on the internets!

J-

Er, that was Knock off, not rip off.:D

Was I right, Nebraska?

Where abouts in Nebraska?

mrwizardgi
08-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Er, that was Knock off, not rip off.:D

Was I right, Nebraska?

Where abouts in Nebraska?

Yep...you got it! I'm in Gretna which is not quite a suburb of Omaha (yet). I'm originally from Grand Island...smack dab in the middle of the state.

Good smoke to you!

J-

SmokyOkie
08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
I knew there was a Gretna in Louisianna, but didn't know there was one in the Cornhusker state.

Jake
08-16-2008, 04:49 PM
mrwizard, i forgot to say hello and welcome to the q, i remember when i stumbled across it, i was so happy to find it, now i'm a little obsessed:blushing: t:roflmaoha0: so again welcome, and even though your a teacher i still wont use all that appropiate grammer:roflmaoha0: looking forward to hearing from you.

mrwizardgi
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks all for the welcome. Don't worry about the grammar...I teach science...I don't need no stinkin' grammar! Yeah, If Gretna wasn't on I-80 I wouldn't know it existed either! I look forward to hearing everyone's expertise.

J-

SmokyOkie
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
If it's on I-80, I've been through it!