PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for the masses

Chargrilled
08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
This weekend's smoke: Cookin for 100 for a Sun. party at the Porter County Conservation Club.

I can only hope the new smoker is in by Fri so I can load up both of em but if not it will be a LATE Sat. nite/Sun. morning. Suppose to eat round 4pm. Want to get set up at noon or so to get a jump on things.

Menu:
55 Lbs of butts, Im thinkin theres going to be 5 or 6 of em in the case, 9#ers or so.
40# of bone/skinless thighs
10# beef franks

The plan: This afternoon I'm meeting my buddy (the meat man) over at his shop. We are going to take the case of butts and throw em into the vac tumbler with 1gal of water mixed with 3-4 cu of naked rub. That will go all nite. Fri. bring the butts home and put the chix into the tumbler with garlic/butter seasoning (to die for, had it in the past on chix wings) that will require a 2hr tumble, those are going to stay at his shop as it is next door to the party place.

Take the butts home and rub em and onto the smoker with cherry/oak wood. Bring them up to 170 or so spritzing every hr. Take em out and foil em and bring up to 200-205. Cooler for at least 2hrs and pullem. Going into a large roasting pan when I get onsite.

Setting up grill style cookin on site and doing the thighs and franks that afternoon.

Will be plenty of pics starting tonite when we set up the tumbler and right through the whole process.

Wish me luck, gonna need some, well at least some sleep and of course something cool to drink.:msn-wink:

TX Sandman
08-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Will be plenty of pics starting tonite when we set up the tumbler and right through the whole process.

Wish me luck, gonna need some, well at least some sleep and of course something cool to drink.:msn-wink:

Good luck, and can't wait to see the pics!

JamesB
08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Sounds like you've got it all mapped out... Will be interested to see what that tumbler looks like!

peculiarmike
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a BUSY time Trav! I would still like to see that vac tumbler first hand. Real interesting.
It will all turn out. Show us the pics!

Chargrilled
08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
This is similar to the one meat man has,

Ohhh yea baby, plenty of pics coming, I know exactly how you guys feels, THE ANTICIPATION!!!! Starting tomorrow morning I will post pics of the process we do tonite.

PigCicles
08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Best Wishes Trav! You're gonna be a big hit a the club. You better hang up some signs to remind yourself about the pics. There's going to be a point when you're so busy that you'll forget about em.

Hope you get that new pit in too ... what a way to break her in!

cbucher
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Good luck with the smoke. Sounds like it is going to be fun.

SmokyOkie
08-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Ohhh yea baby, plenty of pics coming, I know exactly how you guys feels, THE ANTICIPATION!!!! Starting tomorrow morning I will post pics of the process we do tonite.

That's not a smoker, it;s a liposuction machine.:roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Who makes that thing? Website?

Chargrilled
08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Mike here are some better pics of the actual unit we used.

We've arrived, got to my buddies place to start the tumbler, meat was delivered yesterday.

The vittles packed in boxes, p butt, chix, beef franks

The butts, they are bout 8-9# a piece, total 76#s! I will be doing 6 of them to equal round 50# or so, god I hope I can fit em on the smoker. Will be using the warming rack on at least 2 of them.
These are some of the best h dogs in our area, kids will love them, heck at almost $3 a pound I am going to eat some!! Our economy needs help!
This is the galon of juice that I made up for the tumble. It goes by weight and cut of meat on how much liquid you can add. I mixed 2 cu rub with the water and shook the heck out of it.
Heres the vac tumbler after we scrubbed her up
Tumbler with gasket installed, meat in and the marinade pour over it.
Heres the unit with lid on and ready to go
Here she is rolling her first tumble cycle, it is set up to roll once per minute (real slow) for 23 hrs. I plan on pickin the butts up after work today, rub and frig tonite and smoke tomorrow. Chix will go into tumbler next, garlic/butter seasoning added to 32oz of water, tumbled for 4hrs.

After pork is done we are going to pack up the trailer and head to the picnic site. I will grill the chix thighs and dogs on site and warm up the pork for sammys. God willing this will all work out and I will be a hero, if not, sound like I just bought McRibs for 100 folks.:roflmaoha0:

This by no means is the end of the pics, I will be adding pics of Sat. smoke in progress.

Chargrilled
08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Who makes that thing? Website?

here is a table top version

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0027519516520a.shtml

they come in all sizes, the one we used is 150# cap and like 8 grand I think

SmokyOkie
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM
"rub and frig tonite" They're gonna send you to the BOTB, or worse yet, to your room!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

$150 sure seems like a lotta bucks for something that only handles 4-5# of meat. I use a vacuum canister for my Tilia machine and shake it up manually. The vacuum really does help.

peculiarmike
08-16-2008, 06:36 AM
here is a table top version

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0027519516520a.shtml

they come in all sizes, the one we used is 150# cap and like 8 grand I think

Thanks Trav! The reviews on this tumbler are high. Looks like it does what they say it will. Course, most stuff from Cabela's is OK. :thumbs up:

Florida Bill
08-16-2008, 11:42 AM
You've definitely caught my interest with this vacum tumbler. I have to admit that I didn't even know that such things exist. I have a question though. When tumbling your butts for 24 hours, wouldn't they have to be refrigerated or does the tumbler do that?

Good luck with the project and I hope everything turns out well. And thanks for the pictures so far. Look forward to the others.

SmokyOkie
08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Will it really do anything that a good injection wouldn't do?

Jake
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
looking fantastic, you'll pull it off just fine, whats all in the garlic/butter mix for the chicken (not just garlic and butter??) you got my stomach going now. let me know whats all in it and i'll give it a shot.
i guess you could make a tummbler quite easy and cheap. it wouldnt be the exact same but would be close. well maybe, i assume it just turns and turns at what ever speed you want to, to coat and marinade the w.e.h.y correct?? now im thinking i am tim talor and looking at my salad spinner and going hummmmmmmm bet if i took the motor from that there vacum i could spin the crap out of it, LOL (just kidding.:blushing: well sort of:blushing:):roflmaoha0:

tsunami_tommy
08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
good luck trav!

Chargrilled
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Finally able to get these posted, what a weekend!!!!! After the event you would have thought I cured cancer, everyone was so appreciative. We received a bunch of compliments so I believe we pulled it off. Got 3 requests for catering, dont know if we are to that point yet. Dont know if I want to make work outta Q yet, right now its fun as heck.

I will start where I left off with the last post.

Flordia Bill - yes you have to refrig when tumbling for long times. The one that I am using is in a walk in cooler so no worries for me.

Okie - injection is still good no doubt, the vac tumbler is a totally different way of marinading, 100% saturation of the meat through out. The middle looks just as red as the outside in my case.

Jake - the garlic butter and herb marinade actually came with the tumbler as a sample pack, we used it on chix wings awhile back and they were a big hit, so I decided to use it on the chix thighs. I used 2 packages which were good for 25# a piece. It is a dry powder form and mixed with water to rehydrate, THIS STUFF IS TO DIE FOR, 40# of chix were gone as soon as I pulled em off the grill. I will get some further info for everyone.

Heres the photos so that everyone knows it happened:msn-wink:.

this is one of the butts after tumbling before rubbin.

butts after rubbing, what a mess, mrs was cleaning up behind me, thank god for her (shes the capt of our team:msn-wink:)

Butt arrangement, this was a trick getting 50# on the CG SP. New pit had not come in time:tap:.

setting up for an all nite smoke, started around 8pm.

This is how they looked at 170* spritz every hr or so.

Into foil and put into oven brought up to 205* and into the cooler for 5 hrs. Later that evening, this would have been Sat. evening now pulled out of cooler and set up a pulling station. 3 of us pulled for 1.5 hrs, man was that pork tender.
Put into this dish and platic wrapped, into the frig for the next morning.

Sun. morning I set up the pork in a roaster with Fin Sauce added (didnt have enough for my likin but I was thinking about the masses). Went over and got the chix outta the tumbler, man what a smell:wow:. Garlic butter with herbs.

have to post again as im at max pics. BRB

Chargrilled
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Here is the grilling set up, I just used their webers, had both of em fired.

Me in the middle of a 7 hr grilling marathon, next time I will borrow my buddys 6ft long stainless charcoal grill and get r done alot faster but heck it gave me something to do and it was near the keg:msn-wink:.

Inlaws came down with my wife, good fresh picked corn on a roaster.

Some of the masses

The assembly line inside

workin the grills,........still!

All in all had a blast, everyone had plenty to eat, bout 15# of pork leftover and not one piece of chix. Not as many kids as I thought so only went through 5# of the hotdogs but they froze the rest. The meat bill came to $200 and they let me have the other 4 butts that were left over.

thanks for lookin

peculiarmike
08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
See? I KNEW you could pull it off! :msn-wink:
Nice job Trav. You may be in the catering business in a blink. It pays well if managed right.
Looking forward to pics of the new rig.

Chargrilled
08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
See? I KNEW you could pull it off! :msn-wink:
Nice job Trav. You may be in the catering business in a blink. It pays well if managed right.
Looking forward to pics of the new rig.

Thats pretty bad when I couldn't find my own thread:smack:.

Catering business may be a ways off as it is a phenomenal amount of work, right now just enjoying the smiling faces. But the wife has made mention maybe in the future doing something.