PDA

View Full Version : BITTER SMELL from Weber Smokey Mountain...



tackdriver
06-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to relocate and move outta town and my last smoke was about a week ago on the WSM. I had some leftover unburned charcoal still in the bowl and needed to cook off the rest of the gunk on the grates, so I lit a chimney and dumped it in. I opened up all the vents and let it go as high as it could.

I'm not sure if water seeped in there or what but the smell is very strong and bitter. Is this gonna ruin my food the next time I cook? I was trying to burn off any food residue to keep that from happening?

What could be smelling so awful? I usually keep it very clean.

Thanks!

Primo
06-20-2013, 04:47 PM
What did you cook on the old charcoal ,That u used ? Sounds like a moldy situation .Just burn it off with high flame and heat.

tackdriver
06-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Just cooked a couple turkey breasts. It's rolling at 375. That good enough to burn it off? I don't want it to taint the flavor of my food next time.

Primo
06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Just cooked a couple turkey breasts. It's rolling at 375. That good enough to burn it off? I don't want it to taint the flavor of my food next time.
I would get it as hot as you can get it .let it rip .You wont have any problems with tainted meats that way .It will burn all the foul away.

PigCicles
06-20-2013, 06:18 PM
I agree .. sounds like a mold issue. If I suspect anything on my charcoal I'll dump it and start fresh. Hope all turned out well for you.

This message supported by duct tape and bubble gum.

Buzzwinder
06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
:whathesaid:

SmokyOkie
06-20-2013, 08:09 PM
:whathesaid:

:whathesaid: You should probably try to get in the habit of coming back after the fire burns down and rinsing the water bowl and dumping the old charcoal. It also is not a bad idea to leave vents open when not in use so as to allow air to circulate through the cooker.

tackdriver
06-20-2013, 09:50 PM
You guys nailed it. Been burning at 350 degrees and higher for hours and the stench is gone. I left the water pan with grease in it for a week in hot enclosed environment and it was probably mold. Will completely empty and clean after it cools.

Thanks!