PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs rub

cabinetmaker
08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Anyone ever use these? I've used the bbq rub and the original sauce. Sauce was "OK", rub was great.

http://www.buystubbs.com/index.html

Edit: No affiliation!

peculiarmike
08-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Yep Curt, I use Stubbs Rub, it's good stuff. :thumbs up:

Willkat98
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Yep Curt, I use Stubbs Rub, it's good stuff. :thumbs up:

Doh!

I must resist answering....

I have a particular balloon knot saved up just for the Stubbs story.

It really gets me going.

I've said it on multiple forums, but I just don't have time to get into it today.

All this money being made off the Stubb's name and recipes, after his death (died pennyless or of meager means) and none of his descendants share in the "family recipes" bought out from Stubbs after some financial hard times. The expanded rubs and recipes are not even his.

Who is this great rape ape who is make a fortune off someone else's demise?

That fat fork, roll my fat azz around in an electric chair, Paul Prudomme.

God that guy boils my blood.

peculiarmike
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I like it. I use it. And will continue.
I didn't know the fellow or his situation. His finances were HIS business, not mine. I seriously doubt he took small change for his recipe. And his decendants didn't come up with the recipe, why would they deserve any reward from it? Besides, he sold it.
In a lot of cases where people suddenly come into money it simply gets pissed away and they are back where they were, or worse. Ignorance of money management.
Prudhomme? Again, I don't know the fellow. Hard to judge from a distance.
But I like Stubbs Rub.
:twocents:

SmokyOkie
08-13-2008, 11:20 AM
I like it. I use it. And will continue.
I didn't know the fellow or his situation. His finances were HIS business, not mine. I seriously doubt he took small change for his recipe. And his decendants didn't come up with the recipe, why would they deserve any reward from it? Besides, he sold it.
In a lot of cases where people suddenly come into money it simply gets pissed away and they are back where they were, or worse. Ignorance of money management.
Prudhomme? Again, I don't know the fellow. Hard to judge from a distance.
But I like Stubbs Rub.
:twocents:

Stubbs' family sold the recipes Mike, not him. The recipes were part of his estate, and therefore, their property.

Neither here nor there though. IMHO, at least the family took something away in the deal, and they'd have gotten nothing if it weren't for MR Fata$$ Prudhomme.

I used Stubbs once on steaks and thought it was nothing more than the usual all-in-one seasoning, nuttin special.

On the other hand, there are several of Prudhomme's "Magic" seasonings that I would pay well for the recipe of.

JamesB
08-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, I ain't tried the rub. Didn't care for the sauce and really didn't like the food at Stubb's BBQ in Austin...

But, if ya'll say the rub is worth trying I might give it a go...

James.

Willkat98
08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
On the other hand, there are several of Prudhomme's "Magic" seasonings that I would pay well for the recipe of.

The secret ingredient is cajun chin fold sweat

Willkat98
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
IMHO, at least the family took something away in the deal,

They got nothing.

The bankruptcy creditors got the funds.

I'll turn off my rant now.

:twocents: divided 50 ways

Teaser
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
...to leave your lover

Sorry, 70s' flashback :wings:

PigCicles
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
The secret ingredient is cajun chin fold sweat

I detect a degree of dislike here, with a splash of disdain.

Where's the love Bill? I don't feel the love :shrug: :msn-wink:

BBQ Addict
08-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I haven't used the rub but didn't care for the sauce at all. I'd rather desecrate the meat with Kraft bbq sauce rather than use Stubbs. (to my own defense, I don't own a bottle of kraft bbq sauce...:ack2:)

As for his money, that was his family's affair to handle. If they were in bankruptcy before he died then hopefully the sale put them closer to $0.00.

cabinetmaker
08-14-2008, 06:52 AM
:wow: I certainly did not mean to start a major controversy here. Just wanted to know what you guys thought of the rub, not the business. I think if we avoided everyone with any questionable biz practices we wouldn't buy much of anything!

Willkat98
08-14-2008, 08:23 AM
:wow: I certainly did not mean to start a major controversy here. Just wanted to know what you guys thought of the rub, not the business. I think if we avoided everyone with any questionable biz practices we wouldn't buy much of anything!

You didnt start anything.

I kicked the beehive over

:blushing:

Teaser
08-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I kicked the beehive over

Now would that be your traditional beehive or one a bit more 'urban' :msn-wink:

Willkat98
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Now would that be your traditional beehive or one a bit more 'urban' :msn-wink:

Don't make me kick over another one!

Okay, sorry bout that.

My comments should be deleted.

I went off the subject, and in all fairness, I was way off base to the original poster.

I have never tried the Stubbs line, so immediately my post was off base and in the wrong forum.

Soooooo,

Back on Topic:

Does anyone else like the Stubbs line of rubs?

I have to admit, after looking at the website, there are definitely ones that I would like to try, or am intrigued by.

I'm kinda getting tired of the rubs I've been using, so this line has given me some ideas.

Fatback Joe
08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I tried the sauce and thought it sucked. I think I will try it again though now that I know Paul is behind it........I love that guy.

peculiarmike
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, all I did was say I liked the rub. It's NOT my favorite, but I use it at times. And I don't give a fat rats a** if they got a penny from it.
Then, this big foot came by and kicked ............................. :ack2:

:D

Fatback Joe
08-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey, all I did was say I liked the rub. It's NOT my favorite, but I use it at times. And I don't give a fat rats a** if they got a penny from it.
Then, this big foot came by and kicked ............................. :ack2:

:D

What is your favorite?

peculiarmike
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I use a lot of Double Q. And a good bit of Cowtown Sweet Spot Rub. And Willingham's W'HAM. Those are my biggies. But I use Rufus Teague, Stubbs, Fat Boy, etc. at times also.
I'm a rub junkie. You don't know until you try it.

www.doubleqq.com (http://www.doubleqq.com)

www.cowtownbbq.com (http://www.cowtownbbq.com)

www.willinghamsbbq.com (http://www.willinghamsbbq.com)

I have nothing to do with any of them except using their products.

Fatback Joe
08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I use a lot of Double Q. And a good bit of Cowtown Sweet Spot Rub. And Willingham's W'HAM. Those are my biggies. But I use Rufus Teague, Stubbs, Fat Boy, etc. at times also.
I'm a rub junkie. You don't know until you try it.

www.doubleqq.com (http://www.doubleqq.com)

www.cowtownbbq.com (http://www.cowtownbbq.com)

www.willinghamsbbq.com (http://www.willinghamsbbq.com)

I have nothing to do with any of them except using their products.

I have never tried any of those. I need to give them a shot.

I spent so long getting my homemade rub to where I want it that I didn't even try anything new for quite a while...........recently I tried Plowboy's Yardbird rub and forking love it.

SmokyOkie
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
That Okla. Joe's Sweet spot is great on the slathered baked taters.

nmayeux
08-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I love it when Bill goes Kickin'! Anyway, being from Louisiana, I always thought that Bill's ex was a little to gourmet for my tastes! Cajun and creole cuisine is very "country" in nature, and that is what gives it its character. If we wanted spicey french food, I would take a bottle of Tabasco to the stinky cheese place...

Anyway, I like to make my own rubs!

SmokyOkie
08-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I love it when Bill goes Kickin'! Anyway, being from Louisiana, I always thought that Bill's ex was a little to gourmet for my tastes! Cajun and creole cuisine is very "country" in nature, and that is what gives it its character. If we wanted spicey french food, I would take a bottle of Tabasco to the stinky cheese place...

Anyway, I like to make my own rubs!

You a HOOT Noah!

Why don't you share some recipes?

Got any idea where I could get a clone recipe for any of Prudhomme's 'magic' seasonings?

nmayeux
08-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Tim,

Almost all of my recipes are seasoned with garlic powder, cumino, kosher salt, black peper, cayanne pepper, a little white pepper, mustard powder, and parsly flake. Full parts for the first three, and partial parts (to your taste) of the others. I also love to add a little smoked paprika if I can get it fresh, and I add some of Alton Brown's chili powder recipe when I have some on hand.

Red beans and rice, jambalaya, black beans and rice, and gumbo usually start with these seasonings. I quit mesuring years ago, but do adjust so that the spices compliment the ingredients and the expected consumers.

The key to real coon@$$ cooking is make the meal very flavorful, but not overpowering. Personally I can't stand anything blackened, and I don't like to have my tongue scorched by dishes so hot they would blind you if you splashed some in your eye. I like the subtle tastes of the added ingredients like shrimp or crab which are usually lost in modern exported cajun cooking.

Next time I head out to Kansas, I might have to stop buy and do some cooking at your place. I bet you could show me a few things about chinese cooking!:msn-wink::drooling:

SmokyOkie
08-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't know about Chinese, but my daughter in law is Vietnamese and those folks know the spring roll business.

I think your tastes in Cajun are similar to mine. Let me ask you, coffee black roux for gumbo? Maybe sausage, chicken, crab, duck and then some nice sized fresh shrimp at the last minute?

Is your jambalaya saucy and red or is it pork fat laden, dark brown and about as much meat as rice (dark chicken, pork steak, smoked sausage, andouille with the necessary veggies more for seasoning than for veggie value).

I would always enjoy a visit from a Louisianan. I always said that if I were ever to leave Oklahoma, it would be for Lousianna. Colorful people, colorful way of life, and equally colorful eats.

I prolly don;t use as much cumin in my Cajun stuff as you, bu the rest is similar. I use tons of cumin, just not in Cajun stuff.

If you're ever up this way, mi casa, su casa. My guess is that we'd cook up enough good stuff to make all the neighbors gain 10 pounds.

BTW- I just got motivated (thanks to your post) to search out a Prudhomme clone recipe, and I think I finally found it. the Okette and I just did 4 chix 1/4s and did the legs with the clone and the breasts with the real thing and couldn't tell the difference! And guess what, it has cumin in it!

Thanx Noah! I also got a seafood magic clone recipe from the same site, and I'll report on it soon.

nmayeux
08-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I thought that Oklahoma was right next to china...:oops:

Not quite so black on the roux, as I seem to get awfully close to burning it at the dark red stage... As far as I know, jambalaya should be brown, other wise it would be creole! I use all of the ingredients above with the addition of okra in the gumbo, and I am glad you found what you were looking for. Now make a couple of changes and make it your own! Chef Tim Prudokie...:wings:

I tried to post a pic of the jambalaya, but it seems that I have maxed out my quota of pics. Maybe next time!

SmokyOkie
08-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I slow it way down when it starts to roll over from brick. I have found out that temperature is the most important thing in determining the color. It's like when it reaches the max color for that temp, it won't get any darker unless you crank the temp up a little, no matter how long you cook it. Of course though, haow fast or slow you heat it will make a difference in whether or not you can get it to that stage w/o scorching.

BTW-I like Okiehomme better.:msn-wink::D

PigCicles
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Okay OkieHomey ... let's have a copy of that clone recipe. I could've used it yesterday, but would've been well before your post though.

cabinetmaker
08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I thought that Oklahoma was right next to china...:oops:

I tried to post a pic of the jambalaya, but it seems that I have maxed out my quota of pics. Maybe next time!

We have a quota of pics?:shrug:

SmokyOkie
08-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Okay OkieHomey ... let's have a copy of that clone recipe. I could've used it yesterday, but would've been well before your post though.

Here ya are:

1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t cayenne
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t black pepper,Ground
1/4 t thyme,Dried
1/4 t oregano,Dried
1/4 t rubbed sage
dash cumin
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in a covered
container. Sprinkle on any poultry to taste.

For a whole chicken, make double recipe.

We have a quota of pics?:shrug:

No Curt, I think he means with his image hosting account.

SmokyOkie
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Everybody has different taste I guess, that's why there are so many products doing well in the marketplace.

PhillyMike
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Bad Byron's >>>>>>>>>>>>> Stubb's

SmokyOkie
08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm like Noah. I make most of my own. If I find one that I like, I usually copy it and then tweak it to my tastes.