PDA

View Full Version : Quick Kettle Meat Loaf

Willkat98
08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Chit!

I forgot pics!!

3/4 pound ground beef and 3/4 pound ground pork (its packed like that and marked "Great for Meat Loaf"
3/4c bread crumbs
1 TBS Italian seasoning
1 Tsp Tony C's
1/2 c Sweet Baby Rays
1 egg

Mix, foil pan with spray oil, offset in kettle for 1 hour using alot of hickory, last 15 min spread some SBR on top of the loaf.

Per the tip of the turkey fryer thermo I had in the hole of the top kettle cover, 500* initially, settling in at 400* when I cranked the vents down.

1 hour, and it was done.

Instant mashers and can of corn in the micro meant a nice oven type family sit down, without heating the house a bit.

Toss away foil pan was the best part of the cleanup.

Teaser
08-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Never cared much for meatloaf, actually rather hate it. Strangely I have been thinking lately that I would like to try it on the smoker. Maybe a little smoke and sauce will win me over, maybe not. Never know until you try, right?

Willkat98
08-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm sure you'll like it.

Especially if you have ever experimented with a ground beef fattie.

Its just seasoned is all.

bowhnter
08-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I like meatloaf. Throw a little cheese and onions in the middle too

Fatback Joe
08-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Never cared much for meatloaf, actually rather hate it.

Same here.........every so often my wife will make one just to punish me or something. :ack2:

I had a meatloaf standoff as a kid..........took a few cracks with a belt........still didn't eat it.

cabinetmaker
08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Same here.........every so often my wife will make one just to punish me or something. :ack2:

I had a meatloaf standoff as a kid..........took a few cracks with a belt........still didn't eat it.

:whathesaid: Meatloaf :ack2:

Teaser
08-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I was known to try the old fake 'gonna throw up' move every now and then. Even my best gagging action was met with a cold hard stare that said eat or die. :tap:

Still, I'm curious about giving a smoked loaf a go.

Willkat98
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
.........every so often my wife will make one just to punish me or something. :ack2:

And therein lies your problem.

Don't let her near the kitchen!

Wife said the other day (since she is home all day) "I wish you would let me cook dinner"

I turn to the 9 yr old "Can mom cook?"

9yr old puts finger in her mouth and starts gagging.

Wife "Thanks for the vote of confidence"

SmokyOkie
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM

D@D@D@ You got a wife?:wow: Hard to imagine anyone hangin around with you long enough to get married!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Fatback Joe
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
D@D@D@ You got a wife?:wow: Hard to imagine anyone hangin around with you long enough to get married!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Yep, and believe it or not, 15 year anniversary is tomorrow. :msn-wink:

jts70
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Smoked meatloaf is great, give it a shot.

SmokyOkie
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I would say congratulations if I believed you!

Congratulations!

peculiarmike
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Smoked meatloaf is one of my absolute favorites.
I coat the top with ketchup (Heinz- Hunt's sux) after it is done and leave it in the smoker with smoke for another hour. The ketchup captures a great smoky flavor that is outstanding.
I use hickory to smoke meatloaf.
And I don't put a bunch of garbage in it, crackers, milk, egg, onion and seasonings mostly, along with some BBQ sauce and rub. I HATE green pepper in meatloaf.

SmokyOkie
08-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Smoked meatloaf is one of my absolute favorites.
I coat the top with ketchup (Heinz- Hunt's sux) after it is done and leave it in the smoker with smoke for another hour. The ketchup captures a great smoky flavor that is outstanding.
I use hickory to smoke meatloaf.
And I don't put a bunch of garbage in it, crackers, milk, egg, onion and seasonings mostly, along with some BBQ sauce and rub. I HATE green pepper in meatloaf.

:D
But do you have any opinions on the subject?

Willkat98
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Have you ever tried the "kicked up" ketchup Mike?

I know Heinz has a brand, but we've been using Ketchupeno for years.

Great way to flavor up some smoked meat loaf.

vegasbbqer
08-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I showed this thread to my wife (she can't stand even the mention of meatloaf or ketchup) and told her I would try one with barbecue sauce instead (Sweet Baby Ray's, her favorite). Needless to say I went to make my lunch the next morning to find out she had got up in the middle of the night and finished off the leftovers (no lunch, and a big fat I told you so, when she got up). Tomorrow she says I have to make another one tomorrow since her dad is coming over and she thinks it is right up his alley. This time I am going to tinker with more ingredients (the first was pretty plain just onions and some seasoning, didn't want the wife not try it) and am gonna wrap in bacon like a fatty. Oh, I forgot to mention that I did smoke it on the CG.

Short One
08-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Made a SMALL meatloaf a couple weeks ago and it rocked. Mixed 3 lbs gr. beef, 2 lbs venison burger, and 1 lb pork sausage with onions eggs gr. peppers ,crackers, ketsup, bbq sauce. Smoked with cherry to 170 and let cool some. It didn't have a chance as the folks we were camping with consumed it quickly and didn't even leave enough for me a leftover sandwich.

peculiarmike
08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
:D
But do you have any opinions on the subject?

Matter of fact, I DO, much like yourself. :D And that's OK.
Keeps the world turning. :msn-wink:

Jake
08-20-2008, 01:23 PM
congrats on the 15 years. heres hoping you dont have meatloaf for dinner:msn-wink:

peculiarmike
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Have you ever tried the "kicked up" ketchup Mike?

I know Heinz has a brand, but we've been using Ketchupeno for years.

Great way to flavor up some smoked meat loaf.

Have not tried it, but it sounds good. Not something I've seen around here either. But maybe I wasn't looking. :shrug: