PDA

View Full Version : Ground venison ideas?.......

YankeeQ
03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Long story short, i have a buddy that is getting some free beef and he needs to get rid of a decent amount of venison. He's coming over sunday and we are grinding a bunch up to make maybe burgers, maybe sausage....

Any ideas would be sweet. 1 qualifier tho, we dont wanna spend the money or time to stuff casing, there's enough going on sunday that i wanna keep it fairly simple.

Here's what i was thinking: 80/20 venison/pork fat, fresh cracked pepper, coarse kosher and some greek seasoning. patty and smoke with oak. (oak burgers are incredible)

Thanks gentlemen

PigCicles
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Have you considered throwing together a quick meatloaf for the day? :shrug:

YankeeQ
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
i haven't...but thats a good call. I have made some mean sloppy does in the past as well

BYBBQ
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Make some burgers with the beef and maybe use some pork and make a country style sausage (breakfast sausage). Either way make them into burgers, sausage size patties, or both. Then separate what you don't cook that day with wax paper, then vac-seal into meal size packages, and freeze them for future eating enjoyment.

YankeeQ
03-14-2013, 04:23 PM
can you thaw previously frozen meat and then re-freeze it?

i thought you cant, thats what i was trying to avoid.

and as far as your ideas, i was hoping for seasoning ideas or personal recipes. im for sure gonna grind the meat and mix with others.

thanks gang

Make some burgers with the beef and maybe use some pork and make a country style sausage (breakfast sausage). Either way make them into burgers, sausage size patties, or both. Then separate what you don't cook that day with wax paper, then vac-seal into meal size packages, and freeze them for future eating enjoyment.

Siesta Man
03-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Long story short, i have a buddy that is getting some free beef and he needs to get rid of a decent amount of venison. He's coming over sunday and we are grinding a bunch up to make maybe burgers, maybe sausage....

Any ideas would be sweet. 1 qualifier tho, we dont wanna spend the money or time to stuff casing, there's enough going on sunday that i wanna keep it fairly simple.

Here's what i was thinking: 80/20 venison/pork fat, fresh cracked pepper, coarse kosher and some greek seasoning. patty and smoke with oak. (oak burgers are incredible)

Thanks gentlemen

Your 80/20 is right on for the grind. Your idea for sausage is pretty good. Lived in Montana for a number of years and we ate a lot of venison sausage. We used a basic sage sausage, a little heavy on the black pepper and made patties instead of links. Make your patties and lay them out on wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze with some wax paper in between the patties. Bag them and back into the freezer. Any spices will work if you like them so go for it. E.T.

BYBBQ
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Yes, you can re-freeze meat according to USDA-FSIS as long as the meat is handled properly it is safe to re-freeze. Loss of moisture and some texture is the main loss when re-freezing, but since you are grinding the meat that shouldn't be a problem.
Most meat commercially bought in a grocery store has been re-frozen at some point. You buy steaks at the store and then freeze them when you get home, you are re-freezing that meat.

I must not be too far off, Siesta Man gave you the same method of handling and freezing the patties.:msn-wink:

MossyMO
03-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Here is my suggestion - http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?12213-Venison-Bacon

If you do not want to order seasonings I can post you a home made seasoning recipe that from reliable source's tell me it is as good as I have always just ordered the seasoning.

Slim Jim
03-14-2013, 07:28 PM
+ 1 for the venison bacon. Only problem is that you can't create in an afternoon.

YankeeQ
03-14-2013, 07:38 PM
YUMMM, i really like that idea. If it wasnt for a time crunch to get spices ordered, i would buy them. but if you do have a recipe for the seasonings that would be great.

My smoker isnt set up for 130 degree smoking, but the guy who is bringin over the venison has an electric smoker.

so 2 things: can i please have that season recipe u mentioned and 2ndly what method do u use to smoke the bacon? the only method i have in one of my cook books is smoke at 135 til pork belly reaches 127-128 then drop smoker to 120 til its the color you want.

and a 3rd thing, because its bacon, what ratio of venison/pork fat OR venison/pork butt do you use?

Thanks a ton, i'm excited to try a recipe ive never even seen!!

Here is my suggestion - http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?12213-Venison-Bacon

If you do not want to order seasonings I can post you a home made seasoning recipe that from reliable source's tell me it is as good as I have always just ordered the seasoning.

MossyMO
03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
As I mentioned I have never done this recipe from scratch, I have always used prepackaged seasoning I purchase and now recall there are a few items that may need to be ordered as they are not something most people would find in their spice cabinet.

4 lbs. of ground meat
.16 oz. Prague #1
.25 Gelatin
.36 of Butcher Packer “Special Meat binder”
¼ cup of packed Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons of kosher Salt

Here is the recipe I follow - https://www18.corecommerce.com/~csk/uploads/file/Bacon%20Ground%20and%20Formed%20Recipex.pdf (https://www18.corecommerce.com/%7Ecsk/uploads/file/Bacon%20Ground%20and%20Formed%20Recipex.pdf)

In case you want to order the seasoning I use - http://curleyssausagekitchen.com/Seasonings/Smoked-Seasonings/Bacon-Ground-Formed-25.html

YankeeQ
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
awesome, thanks again

I have everything but the meat binder