PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a dutch oven....

YankeeQ
03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
In an ideal world, I'd find a a full set of Griswold dutch ovens at a garage sale, all complete with lids, handles and triviets. for cheap.

Now back to reality, I need to buy a dutch oven and dive into DO cooking this summer. I currently have a large cabela what they called a dutchoven. But it doesnt have a hanging handle, legs and the top doesnt have a rim around it to hold coals on.

Any recomendations on brand and size? Eventually i will own multiple DO's but for this summer i just want to buy 1 versatile sized one.

I'm not brand partial, I own lodge, cabela and some other off brand skillets. But i am up for recomendations.

Thanks gang

BYBBQ
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I think this 6 qt. would be a good one to start with. Most likely find it on Amazon cheaper than on the Lodge site. JMHO

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/camp-ovens-and-grills/6-quart-camp-dutch-oven-L12CO3

Amigatec
03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a 10" Lodge and really like it.

YankeeQ
03-03-2013, 02:35 PM
How often do you folks have to change out coals in say a one hour cook?

This will seem like a dumb question. Will there be condensation on inside of the top lid?

I would hate to make a cobbler and not have the top of the cobbler turn out right because dripping water. That being said, I assume that there isn't condensation because the hot coals on top prevent that.

Thanks folks

Short One
03-03-2013, 02:53 PM
you answered one of your questions yourself and for changing coals I just add more as needed. Don't forget to rotate the pot over the coals, quarter turn, and the lid, quarter turn the other way, every 15 minutes or so to keep the heat even. Looking isn't a bad thing when starting out, just makes the cooke longer, as you loose the heat out of the oven when lifting the lid.

YankeeQ
03-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the rotating tip! That's perfect because I am a rotater on grill, pit, stove or in oven.

you answered one of your questions yourself and for changing coals I just add more as needed. Don't forget to rotate the pot over the coals, quarter turn, and the lid, quarter turn the other way, every 15 minutes or so to keep the heat even. Looking isn't a bad thing when starting out, just makes the cooke longer, as you loose the heat out of the oven when lifting the lid.

YankeeQ
03-03-2013, 03:19 PM
As I research stuff, I'm seeing "cook tables" food Dutch ovens. Can I just use disposable foil pans and put my bottom coals down to get the process started and keep it simple?

Short One
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Anything to collect the ashes if cooking around the house. Sis went to a farm supply store and got a metal feed pan, may be hard to find anymore beings every thing is made of rubber anymore. You can use a piece of metal flashing formed in a circle and held with two paper clips if you need a make shift wind break. Should be pictured somewhere on forum.Just make sure that what ever is under the pan is not combustible.

Short One
03-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Check this post:http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?2756-Dutch-Oven-Cook-Competition

YankeeQ
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Ahhhhhhh

I see now. I suppose u get more even heat that way, and it would cut down on a breeze burning thru coals too fast.

I like it!

YankeeQ
03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
The wifie got me a DO for my birthday.

Its a 14" 8 qt (bread oven, technically)

I hope this is a decent starter DO and versatile. I dont wanna take it bake for a different sized one and hurt her feelings. I dont know enough to know if its a good one for beginners. but its officially for this beginner.

2 things:
I love low and slow cooking in almost everything except frying foods or grilling steak. have you guys cooked with Do at 225-275 much?

Its pre seasoned, do i need to scrub it down and season again?

....now what to cook first on it........

Short One
03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
A 14" is a nice pot. A little large for just cooking for two, but should work. Should be able to bake in it plenty easy. I got a cast iron gas stove burner grate I use to sit stuff on when baking.

YankeeQ
03-07-2013, 08:33 AM
A 14" is a nice pot. A little large for just cooking for two, but should work. Should be able to bake in it plenty easy. I got a cast iron gas stove burner grate I use to sit stuff on when baking.

There is the wife, daughter and granny here. So it wont be too bad cooking with that pot, plus i am a left over king, i almost never waste food.

I plan on making some kind of meal in it this weekend. Told the wife i would bake in our gas oven the first time. She said, "ya, ok. I gaurantee your'e outside using coals"....she might know me.

YankeeQ
03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Can i use the cheapest briqs possible?

I assume i dont need quality briqs

thanks gang