PDA

View Full Version : Gonna build my own charcoal grill

YankeeQ
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Well gentlemen, the brother in law and I built my first smoker a few years back. The whole nine yards, its an off set stick burner on a trailer, has plenty of room for wood and coolers. stainless steel cutting board, hickory shelf along the front, chrome stack from a peterbuilt for the stack and a beer can crusher mounted to it. I'm in love with it. (although it needs a slight modification)

That being said, I want to build a charcoal grill.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome and appreciated. The more info, ideas, do's and dont's that i can get, the better!

I can tell you that i want a pretty basic one. I want it deep enough front to back to hold full racks of ribs and prob 36 inches wide. prob want 12" height from grate to top so i have room for butts. i'll put a teltru temp gauge in front about 6" high. Gonna put the top vents just above grill grates. want a large front door for coals (much like backwoods versions of charcoal grillls). adjustable coal rack for different cooks. but also deep enough to put a minion basket on bottom and off to 1 side for smoking.

Please help me out so i can build it right the first time, thanks gang!

BluDawg
02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Take a look see at this it's on my wish list
http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=93705385

YankeeQ
02-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks, I've seen there stuff on YouTube. I'd love to buy a grill from them, but that'll never happen.

SmokyOkie
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Being able to lower and raise the fire grate is a must for good temp control, an dheavy steel makes a big difference too.

YankeeQ
02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
I completely agree with both. i can build it with quality steal from a farmer i work for and maybe buy a little if need be, but can do it for a lot cheaper than buying one. I wanna do it quality and have it til i kick the bucket

Being able to lower and raise the fire grate is a must for good temp control, an dheavy steel makes a big difference too.