PDA

View Full Version : Weber Chimney Starter

Teaser
08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Attention TQJ Tulsa area members: I'm looking for a Weber Chimney starter, anyone know of a store in the Tulsa area that carries them? Must be the one from Weber. Why? I dunno, 'cause I want one :msn-wink:

-dave

glued2it
08-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I picked mine up at academy sports.

Teaser
08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks Jeremy :thumbs up:

Willkat98
08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Try Home Depot or Ace Hardware if you got them around there.

Wife bought me the black one with the wood handle for Father's Day (from the kids).

I said "Its not a Weber"

She said, Whats the difference.

I said "Watch"

1 full black starter was only 1/3 of a weber chimney. Onto the turkey fryer to get going, black paint peeling off and flying around the yard. In 2 minutes, the aluminum rivets melted and the bottom of the chimney gave way (I already had the dogs in the house)

She said "Why didnt you just tell me?"

I said "Picture is worth a thousand words"

Teaser
08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Try Home Depot or Ace Hardware if you got them around there.

Wife bought me the black one with the wood handle for Father's Day (from the kids).

I said "Its not a Weber"

She said, Whats the difference.

I said "Watch"

1 full black starter was only 1/3 of a weber chimney. Onto the turkey fryer to get going, black paint peeling off and flying around the yard. In 2 minutes, the aluminum rivets melted and the bottom of the chimney gave way (I already had the dogs in the house)

She said "Why didnt you just tell me?"

I said "Picture is worth a thousand words"

Not a pretty picture I imagine.

I have the same chimney, two as a matter of fact. My rivets are still intact (the chimney's anyway) but the rust has started calling me by my first name. An indication that 'my' rivets may not actually be so, um, intact.

08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm real new to everything regarding charcoal , just started in may this year. Bought a cheap starter and thought it was OK , saw the webber at a true value store and grabbed it . Night and Day :thumbs up: Not only bigger , but the air holes where the charcoal sits made all the difference. :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Westlake Ace hardware, Hastybake store, home depot, Academy.

The Weber is powdercoated with aluminum and it will resist rust a lot longer that the cheap black ones. The grate int the Weber is also cone shaped so it starts a fire much more efficiently.

Nuttin but Webers for me.

Teaser
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
True Value...I think we have one of those in town. I'll check it out Phil, thanks!

Willkat98
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
True Value...I think we have one of those in town.

Just remember,

True Value Hardware, is more than just a name. It's their way of doing business that's the True Value.

Teaser
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Just remember,

True Value Hardware, is more than just a name. It's their way of doing business that's the True Value.

um...now yer scarin' me

SmokyOkie
08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
um...now yer scarin' me

And with good reason! Look away from the darkness!!

BA_LoKo
08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Dave, if you're going to be in town this weekend, and I hope you are, I'll have one for you (I've got an Academy handy). That's assuming that you don't find one down there. Let me know.

TX Sandman
08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
One thing you might want to watch out for when using any chimney. As they wear out, the fire grates can warp and spill lit coals all over the ground. Or deck, feet, whatever.

One trick I picked up from another forum was adding split rings to the chimney to help hold the grates in place.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4757/dsc00435uq2.th.jpg (http://img468.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00435uq2.jpg)

I love my Weber chimney, but I also want to keep the coals where they belong.

My :twocents:.

Teaser
08-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Dave, if you're going to be in town this weekend, and I hope you are, I'll have one for you (I've got an Academy handy). That's assuming that you don't find one down there. Let me know.

Thanks Kev! I wish I was able to come up this weekend. I really hate to miss the big bash. Stuck here this weekend and not really sure whats happening the next. Then I'm on the road for a couple of weeks. Figured I could stop and grab one on my way to or from the airport.

Thanks for the tip Rob, I hate the smell of burning toes!

Willkat98
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the tip Rob, I hate the smell of burning toes!

One of my very good friends died over Labor Day weekend a few years back.

Some of you have been members of the same forums he had been on.

We use to get together once or twice a year.

He and I would always laugh, as he use to always tell me that I gave him some of the most sage advice on smoking.

In particular, his favorite tid bit of mine was:

"Lit lump, looks an awful lot like unlit lump"

Seared a farking hole in my foot dumping a chimney in the Bandera with no shoes on, scooting my foot around the yard to stop the burn, praying I didnt hit a dog chit pile

Teaser
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Might take your mind off that other problem if you played footsies with lit lumps again.

Note to self: no more bare feet or flip flops around the smoker.

08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Has anyone tried anything that worked to keep most of those small chunks from dropping out ? Mom just had a gas insert put into her fireplace at home.
I was wondering if the old screens from the doors ( over 50 years old and pretty heavy screen ) would last more than a couple of chimney s.

I always wear shoes ( sneakers ) but no matter how many times I tell the dogs to put their shoes on ........http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/littlelou66/computer%20fun/banghead.gif

SmokyOkie
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
My guess is that the ashes falling off the lit coals would restrict the airflow, but you never know.

My answer is to light the chimney in the smoker or grill.