PDA

View Full Version : SmokyOkie Brisket Method on a Butt

Teaser
08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
So I was wondering - would it be possible, or worthwhile, to apply the principle of SmokyOkie's brisket method to a pork butt? Hot sear with extended smoke? Anyone tried it?

glued2it
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I have considered searing a butt but, I havn't tried it. Not sure how much it would help or hurt.

Teaser
08-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I've added it to my list of things to try. The thought drags up childhood memories of getting my own butt seared on occasion. Don't remember if those helped or hurt either :msn-wink:

-dave

SmokyOkie
08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I did, once by accident, break a butt open over the grate in my drum. It smelled so good that I left it there, bark side up for about 30 minutes.

I thought that what it did for the flavor was awesome.

Teaser
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Going to smoke a butt or two for some coworkers in a couple of weeks. I'll give it a try before then.

peculiarmike
08-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Boy! This certainly has possibilities! I'd say go for it.
Just make sure you share the result, good or bad! PICS YOU KNOW! And the blow by blow account.
Remember, smokers eat their mistakes. :ack2: :roflmaoha0:

Teaser
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Oh I will. Sadly it's looking like no more smoke until at least the first week of Sept. Finally managed to get myself out of management, but now I'm traveling twice as much. :tap:

Best I'll be able to do is squeeze in some grilling here and there.

donnylove
03-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Teaser - Did you ever try the sear on a pork butt?

I've volunteered to do some weekly Friday lunches as a fundraiser for our Relay for Life campaign and my plan is to do pulled pork, since it is so good reheated. I'll prolly smoke a couple butts this weekend or early next week in preparation for the frist lunch (next Friday). My plan is to try searing, unless someone here tells me not to . . .

Joneser
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I know of a guy on another forum that swears by it....never had it myself, been to afraid to screw something up...Now if it happens by accident, I'll go with it, but until then..
Let us know how it turns out for you. You can be the Guinea pig..

SmokyOkie
03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Teaser - Did you ever try the sear on a pork butt?

I've volunteered to do some weekly Friday lunches as a fundraiser for our Relay for Life campaign and my plan is to do pulled pork, since it is so good reheated. I'll prolly smoke a couple butts this weekend or early next week in preparation for the frist lunch (next Friday). My plan is to try searing, unless someone here tells me not to . . .

I doubt it could hurt, just hafta change when you foil or you'll end up with some pretty tough bark.