PDA

View Full Version : *****grill grates*****

SmokyOkie
12-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Got home tonight and waiting for me on the front porch was a brand shiny new set of GRILL GRATES (http://grillgrate.com/).

I have read some good reviews on these things and decided to try some out.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SmokyOkie/SmokyOkie%202012/Cooking%20equipment%20etc/DSC_0011_zps2e43aefb.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SmokyOkie/SmokyOkie%202012/Cooking%20equipment%20etc/DSC_0004_zps3ab0b73d.jpg

From what I have read about these puppies, I can't wait to heat them up and get them dirty.

I will report back soon.

Does anyone else here use them?

jwbtulsa
12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I've seen them in several q views. Always wondered if they would improve my old rusty gas grill. My cast iron burners have seen better days and I get more flare up than I want sometimes. Perhaps they cod work for me too. I'll keep my eye on USBBQsupply just in case!

MossyMO
12-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Wife and I have GrillGrates and absolutely love them! They do a great job leaving seared grill marks and honestly make the food taste better; in fact food taste improves the dirtier they get in my opinion!

SmokyOkie
12-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Wife and I have GrillGrates and absolutely love them! They do a great job leaving seared grill marks and honestly make the food taste better; in fact food taste improves the dirtier they get in my opinion!

I don't know about grates, but my experience with hard anodized pans and such is that, like cast iron, they improve with seasoning.

swamprb
12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I thought Grill Grates were just another gimmick, until I saw another comp cook using them for a side category stuffed Pork Chop entry. The grill marks were awesome!

Had to get a set of them for myself and from the first cook I was sold! I thought my cast iron grates were the shiznit, but in my climate, no matter how much I cleaned, seasoned or stored them, the cast iron flaked and was generally a PITA to maintain, not so with the Grill Grates! I have them for my Genesis and Q200, Performer and Large Big Green Egg (watch for those Groupon deals as well!)

Saw something done that I never dreamed of, Cowgirl, turned the Grill Grates over and seared a chunk of Tuna on the flat surface. Brilliant! You are gonna love them Tim!

BigAL
12-14-2012, 06:56 AM
I've had my eye on those also, since Mo and his wife use them on their yoder and get some nice marks.

Can't wait to see how ya like them!:thumbs up:

tomshoots
12-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Heard nuthin' but good about 'em!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Vermin99
12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I have heard great things about them too and have seen awesome grill marks from people using them. I guess I am missing something though, I don't really see a benefit for using them other than the sear marks. I know they reduce flare ups but I don't have a problem with those. Maybe its my style of cooking, I do a lot of it indirect. Anybody care to explain in more detail??

BYBBQ
12-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I have heard great things about them too and have seen awesome grill marks from people using them. I guess I am missing something though, I don't really see a benefit for using them other than the sear marks. I know they reduce flare ups but I don't have a problem with those. Maybe its my style of cooking, I do a lot of it indirect. Anybody care to explain in more detail??

I agree with John.

Personally, in this world of instant gratification( where people don't want to take the time to learn to do things the right way), I think they're just another way for lazy people(not everyone) to by-pass learning to cook properly on their grill.
I can see where they would be practical for alot of people, such as swamprb stated the climate made them practical for him.

peculiarmike
12-14-2012, 04:14 PM
So, brother Okie, which of your 27 grills are they being used on????

Keep us posted with lotsa pics.

SmokyOkie
12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
So, brother Okie, which of your 27 grills are they being used on????

Keep us posted with lotsa pics.

I've got them on my Backwoods Pit Bull grill. I sent brad my measurements and these fit like they were made for it. I don't know if they were custom cut or stock size.

To the dissenters, I can assure you that I do know how to cook on a grill, and I am already seeing potential upsides that I hadn't considered. For one, in the case of delicate meats like fish, the fact that you can insert their special spatula under the meat to lift it w/o damaging it could come in real handy.

I have yet to cook with them so I can't really say a whole bunch, but if they work even nearly as well as my cast iron grates, I will leave them in place just for the fit.

SmokyOkie
12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Also, for any of you Weber users, they have a special deal on right now for your Weber.

https://www.mygrillgrate.com/dealoftheday.asp

Zeeker
12-14-2012, 07:20 PM
They sure look nice. :thumbs up:

tomshoots
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM

I agree with John.

Personally, in this world of instant gratification( where people don't want to take the time to learn to do things the right way), I think they're just another way for lazy people(not everyone) to by-pass learning to cook properly on their grill.
I can see where they would be practical for alot of people, such as swamprb stated the climate made them practical for him.

:whathesaid::whathesaid:

That being said, I'd still kinda like to try them.

BigAL
12-15-2012, 08:14 AM
John and Jim figured me out! :roflmaoha0: I can't get good look'n grill marks from my kettle......might help if I'd clean my grates and try different ways. :shrug:

Depends on price for me. If cheap enough I'd try them. If they are $100 then I'd rather use that on something new to try, protien wise. Good huge king crab comes to mind, 3/# type.

Also, tis the season to buy for yourself....right?:msn-wink::roflmaoha0: