PDA

View Full Version : My opinions on Royal Oak

Uncle Alvah
12-12-2012, 11:45 AM
For a long time, I used Kingsford briquettes in my UDS and my two Weber kettle grills. A couple months back, I switched to Royal Oak, mostly because my local Piggly Wiggly has had it on special, two 16.5 pound bags for $7.99. I've got a little over 100 pounds stashed.
After using it for awhile, I've noticed a couple differences in it and the Kingsford.
-It seems to take considerably longer to "get going", especially in the UDS. I typically drop 8-12 hot briqs into the fire basket. Next run, I think I'll light off considerably more and see what happens.
-I start my fires with lighter, and the RO needs a pretty good dousing to take off. With Kingsford, even a little lighter that gets just, say, the corners started, the burn will spread pretty quickly. Not so with the RO, it takes a good burn to get the show on the road.
I have not tried it in a starter chimney however. I need to do that.
-When it is burning well, it seems to last a LOT longer and burn considerably hotter than the Kingsford. I like that a lot.

I have had to adjust my cooking techniques a little with the RO, but all in all I like it a lot, and I like the price even more!

BluDawg
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
RO Briquettes have less by products and are compressed tighter that is the biggest difference. I used to use it all the time and my experience was the same. But UA get rid of the boyscout water chimney is the way to go!!! I haven't used their Briquettes in years but I've' burnt up truck loads of their lump.

PigCicles
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Uncle A .. thanks for your thoughts. Most will agree with you. Some like the briqs for size consistency, especially with dutch ovens. I would suggest you lose the juice and use a chimney with paper towels and a teaspoon or two of vegie oil or even better go to Lowes and get a cane burner to starr your fire. You will taste a difference in the food

This message supported by duct tape and bubble gum.

Uncle Alvah
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
get a cane burner

????????

swamprb
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Harbor Freight weed burner!

PigCicles
12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
They are available at Lowes by the welders and hand torches. With this you light the basket in the drum and uses disposable bottes

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/PigCicles/Torch/BurnerTorch.jpg

This message supported by duct tape and bubble gum.

jwbtulsa
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Good idea!

Buzzwinder
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
I have a cane burner (bought at Menards for 15 bucks) I also have a Red Dragon weed burner that gets to 500,000 BTUs and will send a flame 15 feet. The Dragon is a toy that the neighbors and the kids enjoy. The cane torch has become my go to lighting utensile though. Three minutes in the middle of the basket of lump and it's ready to go! One of the best purchases I've made besides the parts for my drum! :thumbs up:

Uncle Alvah
12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I had no idea those things even existed!

YankeeQ
02-25-2013, 10:21 PM
I love royal oak lump charcoal and briqs. The briqs are harder to start in the chimney starter, so I put in 2 " of lump charcoal first, then the briqs. I totally agree about the starter fluid, pitch it