PDA

View Full Version : Box of goodies!

Uncle Alvah
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Bought a 50/50 mix of apple and pecan. I've used apple many times, so I'm real eager to give this pecan a try!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/005_zps2c17a5b9.jpg

SmokyOkie
10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I like pecan and cherry together.

Uncanney
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't over do it on that pecan.

Uncle Alvah
10-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Don't over do it on that pecan.

Like what, 5-6 hunks in a UDS?

Uncanney
10-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Like what, 5-6 hunks in a UDS?

On the UDS I would bring 1 or 2 of those chunks you have pictured to the party.
I doubt that both will burn down all the way.
I love pecan and use it all the time. One time I over did it on a brisket and we could not eat it.
That is why I say take baby steps on you smoking woods.
Good luck, and hope to see more.

SmokyOkie
10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Overdoing it with any wood can make meat inedible. Low cooking temps are many times more th issue that the amount of wood.

IMHO though, Uncanney is right 2 or 3 chunks total should be plenty. Better to go light than too heavy.

tomshoots
10-12-2012, 09:22 PM
:whathesaid::whathesaid:

Uncle Alvah
10-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Low cooking temps are many times more the issue that the amount of wood.

I'm confuseled. Low cooking temps are the "issue" with what exactly?

SmokyOkie
10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Think of smoke as steam in the bathroom when you take a hot shower. Think of the meat as your mirror (the coolest surface in the bathroom/smoker).

The cooler the temp in the bathroom/smoker, the more condenses on the coolest surface. You don't want a bunch of smoke particulate condensing on the meat. That is what makes it bitter and inedible.

Uncle Alvah
10-13-2012, 12:50 PM
You don't want a bunch of smoke particulate
OK, now I'm with ya......I usually run about 225, whether you consider that especially low or not I can't say?

SmokyOkie
10-13-2012, 09:50 PM
That would be just fine as long as you don't have too much smoke in the environment. If you have nice thin blue, you will be just fine. If you have billowy white, you will ruin a meal in very short order.

kingkoch42
10-14-2012, 03:28 PM
On the UDS I would bring 1 or 2 of those chunks you have pictured to the party.
I doubt that both will burn down all the way.
I love pecan and use it all the time. One time I over did it on a brisket and we could not eat it.
That is why I say take baby steps on you smoking woods.
Good luck, and hope to see more.

Think of smoke as steam in the bathroom when you take a hot shower. Think of the meat as your mirror (the coolest surface in the bathroom/smoker).

The cooler the temp in the bathroom/smoker, the more condenses on the coolest surface. You don't want a bunch of smoke particulate condensing on the meat. That is what makes it bitter and inedible.

I just bought some pecan, cherry and maple wood chips for my cold smoker. In the past I have always used Oak chips alone or mixed with Sweet Acacia and was wondering what these new woods (for me) would do. the above two comments are just too good. - Sorry if I pirated the thread.

Uncle Alvah
10-15-2012, 05:14 PM
If you look at the pic of the wood chunks you see that many have some bark on the pieces. On another forum, it was suggested that I remove that bark before using them for smoking.
Thoughts on that?

SmokyOkie
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Bloney.:msn-wink:

tomshoots
10-16-2012, 06:35 AM
If you look at the pic of the wood chunks you see that many have some bark on the pieces. On another forum, it was suggested that I remove that bark before using them for smoking.
Thoughts on that?

Bloney.:msn-wink:

I've read that too. The claim is that bark gives it an "acrid" taste. Prior to reading that, I had never removed bark and had no problem. So it's BS.

Short One
10-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Here'a my :twocents:.

I have never removed the bark. But from looking at your pics it appears that the wood needs to be seasoned. When burning green wood there is a layer just under the bark that holds lots of moisture. It is my opinion that those who strip the bark off are using wood which has not been properly cured and the off taste is coming from the creosote which is formed from burning wet wood. I have ran a stick burner for years and have never had a problem with the bark.

Uncle Alvah
10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
When burning green wood

IIRC, Myron Mixon smokes with green peach wood, but I may be mistaken on that......

SmokyOkie
10-17-2012, 10:45 AM
You are correct.
Fruit woods act a little differently than hardwoods in that regard.

I always have better results from fruit woods when they are green and bark on.