PDA

View Full Version : Health Issues and Prayer Request

Schmokin Party
10-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I joined this forum at the recommendation of Tim when I bought my smoker from him about a year ago. Over the course of the past year, I have thoroughly enjoyed my interaction with this group, including lots of practice on my new Backwoods Smoker.

In June, I fell and dislocated my shoulder while on a company outing. In the process to repair my rotator cuff, I experienced swolen lymph nodes in my neck which was ultimately diagnosed as Mantle Cell Lymphoma Stage 4B in September. This has been a difficult diagnosis for me to grasp, obviously hoping against all hope that it was simply an infection that would go away, however, the tissue biopsy proved otherwise.

I have not mentioned this on the site up until I saw Tim's post today about their unfortunate diagnosis. He recommended that I post this in this area. I am currently in round 2 of R-CHOP chemotherapy, and so far I only have encountered minor side effects from the chemo -- hair loss and some neuropathy in my fingers. The reality is that I am 25 days into this journey, and I have six total rounds of chemo (21 days each round) to complete, so there is a long road ahead.

As a Believer, I believe in the power of prayer, and I would ask that you hold me and my family in your prayers. I fervently believe that God is walking along side me in this journey. I cherish and value your friendships and your prayers.

Mel

SmokyOkie
10-08-2012, 11:05 PM
You will be in our thoughts and prayers Mel.

I consider it an honor to be your friend.

Joneser
10-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Praying for you, Mel. Stay Strong.

Uncanney
10-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Stay strong, Prayer sent.

BYBBQ
10-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

jwbtulsa
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
As a trauma nurse, I find comfort and pride to be able to help others in their most fragile stage. It is rather frustrating though to care for those that I can't "fix". This is where I must rely on a higher power than myself or others.
I pray that you are cared for well and can enjoy what you can. As time goes by you will have friends that you never would have thought, find humor in things that no one else understands, and... well, some days will just be really crappy.
All the best to you Mel. and to the ones that are at your side. May God bless you and keep you always.
Prayers from Tulsa, Ok
John

BluDawg
10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
You can beat this Stay positive & keep your eye on the prize, In the mean time I'll put in a good word for you.

Bubblehead
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Stay strong Bubblehead!!

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

californiasmokin
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Prayers sent !

I wish I lived closer I would stop by you and tims with a meal on nights you and cindy weren't feeling well!

Course my cooking might just make you sicker!:roflmaoha0:

I hope that your bonds with your friends and family grow strong!

PigCicles
10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
But of course Mel .. We are all here and pulling in all directions for you as well. Stay strong and think about the best times when things get tough. Guess I'm just sayin Love, Peace, N Chicken Grease ... You're in our prayers

This message proudly sponsored by beer drinkers and bbqers everywhere.

BigAL
10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent, Mel. Stay positive.:thumbs up:

Vermin99
10-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent from us too!!

chadd17
10-09-2012, 07:22 PM
We will keep you in our prayers.

Buzzwinder
10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Prayers and of course best wishes sent from my house hold to you and yours. Stay strong brother! God Bess!

jwbtulsa
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
HA!
PigCicles made reference to chicken!

tomshoots
10-10-2012, 05:48 AM
May the Lord bless and heal you. Good luck Mel!

Fatback Joe
10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear that.

Good luck with the treatments. I wish you a full recovery.

Schmokin Party
11-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I just completed round 3 of chemo, and had scans on Monday of this week. The scans revealed that mid way through my treatment process, that the cancer is ALMOST in complete remission. The heart scan revealed that the chemo has not had an adverse impact on my heart, which is also good news.

I have three more rounds of chemo left and the doctor is very optimistic with my progress so far. Thanks to everyone who is praying for me. Your prayers and a great medical team are making a difference. Thanks!

Buzzwinder
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Good news indeed! Will keep the prayers coming until you get this thing beat! God Bless! :thumbs up:

BluDawg
11-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Great news:cheer::cheer: I'm happy for you and you family now go give the reaper a KO punch:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
11-16-2012, 06:49 PM
That's great news Mel.

I think what really did it was your thinking abotu needing to stick around long enough to use up that new Generation 2 backwoods Party.

Schmokin Party
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I got the results of my PET scan last Friday. The scan showed no active cancer and I am now under going aftercare treatments every two months for the first year. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. God has blessed me richly during this time. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement during the past six months.

Mel

Uncanney
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
:wow: I guess your going to sleep well tonight.
Way to go.

tomshoots
03-21-2013, 05:28 AM
:cheer::cheer::cheer::monkey::monkey::monkey::monk ey::monkey:

Siesta Man
03-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Wonderful news Mel,

Always remember, there are hundreds of us on this forum with links to many hundreds more that love Queing that are pulling for you. There is a saying that there is strength in numbers and I believe that is true with PRAYER. I think that the Man Upstairs has heard and responded to the prayers sent on your behalf.

May God Bless you and your family friend. E.T.

Buzzwinder
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Outstanding News indeed Mel! :thumbs up:

californiasmokin
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I got the results of my PET scan last Friday. The scan showed no active cancer and I am now under going aftercare treatments every two months for the first year. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. God has blessed me richly during this time. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement during the past six months.

Mel

I am glad to hear that you have no active cancer and hope it is still so!!!!Hope you celebrated big time.

jwbtulsa
08-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Glad to know you have another few smokes in ya. F-ing cancer. Stay healthy and post some pics of those great meals. Bless you friend. John