PDA

View Full Version : Pizza stone?

SmokyOkie
08-26-2012, 09:59 PM
While shopping for granite counter tops last weekend I picked up a piece of scrap 3mm granite. It is a bit irregular in shape, but it looks to be big enough to make pizza.

Then while once again granite shopping this Saturday, I asked another stone seller and he suggested soapstone. He also said he had a piece of sink drop that he would cut me a piece of for next to nothing.

Now, the question is granite or soapstone, and square or round. The grill I would use it on is 18x20 so I am thinking 16" square or round either one.

Please share your thoughts with me. Any and all input is appreciated.

BYBBQ
08-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Soapstone, unglazed quarry tile, or ceramic material would be good choices.

I wouldn't use granite, it starts to crack, splinter, and can explode little pieces when it gets to around 500.

A lot of people use kiln shelves for pizza stones in BGE and Kegs. Check these out.....

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

BluDawg
08-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I use a 24" ceramic floor tile I think it was 2.00 at homo depot on sale.

swamprb
08-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I'd seen the Williams-Sonoma granite stones advertised, but never heard of any Soapstone pizza stones. I know there are a few wood stoves that are soapstone line on the exterior.
Google is my friend and found this site:http://temperatureware.com/temperature-ware/pizza-stones/

My FIL owned some property and his tenant made commercial sinks out of soapstone for chemicals etc. and had tons of slabs that eventually got bulldozed...if only I knew then.....

SmokyOkie
08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
The stone guy tells me that most pizza ovens use soapstone because it will not absorb anything and granite will.

PigCicles
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
So you're gonna go with a soap stone?

SmokyOkie
08-28-2012, 09:00 PM
I got an irregular chink of granite from another place and I can cook on it to test it out, but the soapstone is next to free so I better get it too.