PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Weed

taz6317
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Anybody know what this tall, green, yellow and red thing is?. It was a stow-away with one of my bell pepper plants when I bought them. It looked interesting even as a seedling so I let it grow to see what it would be. You can see little sort of broccoli looking strucures near the leaf bases in the second pic. Kinda neat.

It's not too bad to look at, but I gotta get it outta my pepper's pot. Wondering if I should transplant it or just yank it. Or maybe I could smoke it.....

SmokyOkie
07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I posted it on a garden forum. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

taz6317
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Guess I shoulda thought of that. Don't really know any gardening forums tho and figured there's lots of knowledge here, what the heck.

Jim

glued2it
07-30-2008, 04:43 PM
There is a great place that holds a lot of knowledge on plants.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org

SmokyOkie
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
It appears that it is a variety of Amaranthus known as Joseph's coat and is not just a weed, but a desireable plant for a garden. As colorful as it is, it's understandable why.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/josephscoat.gif

taz6317
07-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Thank's Tim! I kinda figured it might be something desirable since (I believe) most nurseries sterilize their soil, so anything growing in a potted plant for sale probably is not just an errant weed. I thought it looked neat when it was 1 inch tall, so no wonder it is considered desirable. I think I'll move it to the periphery and see how it does. Thanks again, I was getting nowhere with the online plant ID gizmos I was finding.

SmokyOkie
07-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Glad to be of help. It is a nice looking plant and I would like to have some of them too.

Reme,ber though, the definition of a weed is just a plant that is growing where it isn't wanted to. If you like it and want it, then it isn't ever a weed.

peculiarmike
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Tasty looking buds duuuuuude, I was leaning toward smok...............
Nah, that was then.
The "broccoli" will probably produce seeds. If you want to propagate this move it to where you want it and it will probably reseed itself and spread if left alone. Or you could save the seeds and plant where you want it.
Looks good, in a mixed bed it would add a lot of color.
Interesting.