PDA

View Full Version : BluDawg's Bark & Bite Q Sauce

tomshoots
07-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Actually, Bark & Bite is the name of his rub which is a key ingredient in the sauce. So I just stuck the name.

Dawg asked me to try his new sauce formulated for beef. Said he thought it was pretty good, but wanted a second opinion. Just so happened I was up for a brisket this weekend anyway, sot I agreed to give it a whirl.

So here are the recipes:

Blu's Bark & Bite
8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

For the sauce

1/2 cup catsup
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup white vinegar * next batch will try red wine vinegar
3 tbl grape jelly (apple ok too)
1 pkg liption onion soup mix
1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbp butt glitter (Blu's Bark & Bite)
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbl mrs butterworth

dump everything into the blender blend on high 2 min
pour into a 1 qrt sauce pan and bring to a simmer over med low heat simmer 10 min cool & bottle

I followed the rub recipe to the letter. Took a taste, and decided to use it on the brisky as well as in the sauce. But I thought I might need more, so I made another batch. This time I took a couple of liberties with it. I bumped up the garlic by one tsp. and eliminated the cayenne so Mrs. Shoots could handle it. The two batches combined came out great. Better IMO than either alone.

Then I turned to makin' the sauce. Again, I followed the recipe to the letter except for the ketchup. I didn't have enough regular ketchup, so I had to use Ketchipotle for at least half the required amount. And I used the original B&B, not my version.

So how was it? I tasted before the simmer. Hmmm...different. After the simmer it was much better. Not bad, but I knew it was too spicy for the missus. Shoulda cut back on the spice to compensate for the spicy ketchup. That's when I made a third batch of the rub cutting the pepper and made a second batch of the sauce with the tamed rub.

Then I mixed the two sauces and offered a taste to my bride. She dug it! And so did I. Very tasty. Couldn't wait to slather it on some smoky beef.

Coated the beef with B&B and let it all make friends together in the fridge overnight.

This afternoon, I tasted the sauce again, and to my delight, it was much better! The flavors had all married and become more complex. The real test was on the meat. It was a home run! Absolutely deeeelish!! Perfect for brisket slices or for burnt ends.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/tomshoots2/IMG_2336.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/tomshoots2/IMG_2337.jpg

This sauce is tomshoots approved. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good not-so-sweet Texas style Q sauce for beef.

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Bubblehead
07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Sounds like a win to me!!!!

SmokyOkie
07-08-2012, 10:03 PM
So when is he gonna put it on the market?

BluDawg
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks Tom you can cash the check now:roflmaoha0:

So when is he gonna put it on the market? I'd rather give away the recipe Tim. To me it's all about puttin a smile on a face. However it is copy written.:shrug:

SmokyOkie
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I know what you mean Craig. It's just that I'll come a lot closer to trying it if I don't have to find time to make it. Know what I mean?

It does sound and look very good!

Vermin99
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Great looking stuff!!

tomshoots
07-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks Tom you can cash the check now:roflmaoha0:

I'd rather give away the recipe Tim. To me it's all about puttin a smile on a face. However it is copy written.:shrug:

Great! It pays about as this Moderator gig!:roflmaoha0:

Uncanney
07-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Looks and sounds great.
Are you on a diet? Your plate looks a little lite.

BigAL
07-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Looks and sounds great!:thumbs up: Thanks guys!

PigCicles
07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
You got my interest up with this and if it's Tomshoots approved .. well - I'll try it anyway.

Blu - thanks for letting your recipe out I look forward to giving it a taste :thumbs up:

kingkoch42
07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Definitely on the "todo" list:thumbs up: