PDA

View Full Version : Rib Work

Fatback Joe
07-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Trying to work on the comp ribs some. Although I have been placing pretty good and with consistantcy(8th-12th), I have noticed that the taste portion is where I need to bring it up the scores to have a crack at top 5.......time to figure out what the judges want.........more like time to make myself go ahead and do it since it wouldn't be my choice to eat.

Did a couple of slabs to just to try to find a better taste.........and I think I found a look I like better as well. My normal recipe comes out looking a little orange, and although it has not hurt the scores, I think I like the looks of the other batch better and would be better off going that route.

Took some raw pics and with rub, but they look just like all the rest so moving on to on the smoker. Test rack is on the left and control rack on the right.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Ribs/Bothongrate.JPG

Not the best pics, but I think the color of the "test" rack is much more appealing.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Ribs/GrateCloseup.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Ribs/Cut.JPG

End result was I think I found a taste that I am going to try the next comp. It was sweet and the first bite seemed awesome, but too much to sit and eat a whole rack.............sticking with the original recipe for home use.

PigCicles
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Trial and error and a lot of taste testing will get ya there Joe. Let us know how you're new recipe works out for you. Looks good to me, but taste needs to be there too.

SmokyOkie
07-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Lookin' good Joe. Never forget though that comp food and home food are two different things.

IMHO, you'll end up with juicier ribs if you cook them whole and then turn 'em into St. Looies.

seaham358
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
IMHO, you'll end up with juicier ribs if you cook them whole and then turn 'em into St. Looies.

SmokyOkie is 100% correct on this... I'm just a Junior smoker but I don't need to be an expert to know what taste good.. I got sucked into doing the St. Louie cuts after visiting another web site. It seemed like if you did them another way I was doing something wrong.
My wife made me cook some the "Old" way a month ago and I will not be cooking many St.Louie cuts ribs after that.
They were so moist it was crazy..
The left ones do look better.. What appeals to the eyes can play a role in the taste also, if that makes sense??

Fatback Joe
07-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Never forget though that comp food and home food are two different things.

No doubt. I think that is one of the biggest obstacles to get over as far as comps go........then, after you finally accept that you and the judges disagree, is figuring out how they like it.

I have to quit thinking about it or I won't do a comp again.

SmokyOkie
07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I think we all know that the brisket end of a rib is the meatiest, juiciest part of the rib. A lot of judges ( the non-cooking type of judge) count off for the little gristles in the brisket end, so taking that off is most likely a good idea.

For home use, we leave them on, but we also find that if we only use 3 1/2 and downs, the little gristly things are edible ands you don't really even notice most of them.

Hey Joe, what do you do with rib#s 11-13? #s 9&10 will be a lot nicer if you leave them on.

Fatback Joe
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey Joe, what do you do with rib#s 11-13? #s 9&10 will be a lot nicer if you leave them on.

Ok, talking just comp wise here and not home eating...............

These two slabs are how I trim them up getting ready to cook for a comp. These 2 in particular I trimmed up and didn't like them after trimming so I just kept them around for home use. I do things a little different than most (shocking I know :msn-wink:) in that when I cook multiple slabs at a contest I don't pick the best one to turn in. I cut them all up and then pick the best looking individual bones to turn in........generally the bones from the middle of the racks..........the bones on the end don't matter much to me......they get eaten by friends/family/me........but they don't go into the box....they can be dry as hell and I don't care are far as competition goes.......they will never make it into the box.

I generally cook between 4 and 6 slabs of ribs (trimmed like in the pics) and cook them in rib racks and with the set up of my smoker (along with being in with 2 butts and 2 briskets in there) space gets tight enough that I like having them down St. Louis style for cooking. I only need to get about 2 good bones per rack to make my box (minimum 8 pieces in FBA). Trim them up before cooking and don't have to worry about space, gristle, anything else........

All that just to say I am not too concerned with ribs 9 & 10 or 11-13.........

Hope it made sense. Compwise my scores are right on the money, just the taste is lacking.........appearance and tenderness are good enough to win.

I am always open to suggestions as well, but that is just the reason behind my madness.

SmokyOkie
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Hope it made sense. Compwise my scores are right on the money, just the taste is lacking.........appearance and tenderness are good enough to win.

I am always open to suggestions as well, but that is just the reason behind my madness.

Heck, flavor is the easy part. Your scores in appearance a nd tenderness are always good enough to win? With every judge? At every table you present?

Man that is an accomplishment.

You'd have better flavor if you left them intact for the cook then trimmed 'em:smack::msn-wink::D

That, and skip the mustard.

Fatback Joe
07-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I have been told on more than one occassion (by judges) that my sauce I had been using (on pork and ribs) is probably not something that the judges would consider to be a BBQ taste and it is probably hurting me even though it tastes good.........the whole "not what the judges are expecting" thing..........you know the story..........give them what they want, not what tastes good. :msn-wink:

I guess I will find out in the near future..........next comp is in September for me.

Fatback Joe
07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
That, and skip the mustard.

I only used it once (at home) just to see what the deal with it was.........and never since.