PDA

View Full Version : Old hat to you guys?

mr jig
07-27-2008, 11:50 AM
New to me though.
I found some pork steaks cut from a pork butt, bone in.
They were about 3/4 thick a bit ragged!
I dry cured overnight for 12 hrs after rubbing with TQ at i tblsp per pound then added dark brown sugar by turning the steaks both sides on a plate full.
I rinsed and held till 3 pm .
I smoked in my Old Smokey electric smoker with 2 big handsfull of maple chips. Temp about 200, time 1 hr 50 min.
They gave up considerable water as they were Smithfield "self basting" pork.

Cheap, and better tasing than any smoked chop i have done or eaten.
I de boned them and cut in strips 2-3 inches sliced on the bias.
We served as an appetizer with a mustard mayo dip.
While they were a tad chewy if eaten off the bone,i feel i can fix that by reducing the cook by perhaps 15 min.
Based on this happy experience i will no longer be curing and smoking chops from the loin.
dick:thumbs up:

peculiarmike
07-27-2008, 12:19 PM
You know, I smoked an old hat once. Tough, bad flavor.
But those pork steaks are good eats! We generally grill them and sauce just before removing from the grill.
But they smoke fine also. I do smoke boneless loin pork chops now and then and like them too.
Each to his own! It's YOUR grill, cook what YOU like!
And post pics. Or we'll get Bubba on your case. :ack2: :D:D:D

PigCicles
07-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for sharing Dick. I sure do like them smoked chops. If you got a camera, we sure would have loved to see em ... we like to drool - A LOT :drooling:

mr jig
07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Fellas i can see that you guys like food ****!
My wife has a digital camera that i will have to learn to download photo's from to the computer.
I hope my son may have taken or may have some digital stuff from our Adirondack camp that i can send.
I really like the level of excitement displayed here!
Life is good!
dick

BlazerQue
07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
New to me though.
I found some pork steaks cut from a pork butt, bone in.
They were about 3/4 thick a bit ragged!
I dry cured overnight for 12 hrs after rubbing with TQ at i tblsp per pound then added dark brown sugar by turning the steaks both sides on a plate full.
I rinsed and held till 3 pm .
I smoked in my Old Smokey electric smoker with 2 big handsfull of maple chips. Temp about 200, time 1 hr 50 min.
They gave up considerable water as they were Smithfield "self basting" pork.

Cheap, and better tasing than any smoked chop i have done or eaten.
I de boned them and cut in strips 2-3 inches sliced on the bias.
We served as an appetizer with a mustard mayo dip.
While they were a tad chewy if eaten off the bone,i feel i can fix that by reducing the cook by perhaps 15 min.
Based on this happy experience i will no longer be curing and smoking chops from the loin.
dick:thumbs up:

I agree with you in that I like the taste and texture of a pork steak to that of a chop.

SmokyOkie
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Fellas i can see that you guys like food ****!
My wife has a digital camera that i will have to learn to download photo's from to the computer.
I hope my son may have taken or may have some digital stuff from our Adirondack camp that i can send.
I really like the level of excitement displayed here!
Life is good!
dick

Sounds to me like extra sweet Buckboard or "Arkansas" bacon extremely well done.

Here's a tutorial to help you with the pix:

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106

I agree with you in that I like the taste and texture of a pork steak to that of a chop.

It's all in the fat!

BlazerQue
07-28-2008, 12:20 AM
It's all in the fat!

Amen to that.

peculiarmike
07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Yep, fat IS flavor!
I must one tasty son of a gun! :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I think that's a little too personal.:roflmaoha0:

BlazerQue
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Saw some nice looking pork steaks at Publix this morning that called out to me, but I already had two chuck roasts in my basket for an experiment (details later); so, I left them for someone else to enjoy. sigh

SmokyOkie
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I never knew that beef minded pork company.

BlazerQue
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I never knew that beef minded pork company.

I already had enough beef to more than feed us for the week, and I'd just eaten ribs for lunch at my preferred local joint; so, I didn't need them for lunch.

PigCicles
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Ha! Never go to the store full - ever! It keeps you from making good decisions. Always buy the pork when it speaks to ya :msn-wink:. Can't wait to see your experiment though.