07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
http://www.deltablues.net/recipe.html

Willkat98
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
What is a cracklin?

Fatback Joe
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Got it.

We call those pork skins here in Yankee country.

As a side note, my grandfather used to yell at the neighbor's cat and tell him tim Scat!

I wish I knew then to tell him that's why the cat was chitting on the fence.

Homemade cracklins and what is sold as pork rinds are the same in theory, but not in reality.

From Wikipedia FWIW

In the early 1960s the FDA implemented new rules regarding the commercial preparation and sale of cracklins, and the availability of the traditional cracklins diminished rapidly. Today's commercial versions, which are light and airy, bear little resemblance in either appearance or taste to the old-fashioned cracklins which used to be available from local butchers and supermarkets. The new version is heavily fried and light in taste compared to the older cracklins, which are greasy and occasionally have hair still attached to the fried flesh and fat combination.

Now take that info and scat!!!

Teaser
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Homemade cracklins and what is sold as pork rinds are the same in theory, but not in reality.

From Wikipedia FWIW

In the early 1960s the FDA implemented new rules regarding the commercial preparation and sale of cracklins, and the availability of the traditional cracklins diminished rapidly. Today's commercial versions, which are light and airy, bear little resemblance in either appearance or taste to the old-fashioned cracklins which used to be available from local butchers and supermarkets. The new version is heavily fried and light in taste compared to the older cracklins, which are greasy and occasionally have hair still attached to the fried flesh and fat combination.

Now take that info and scat!!!

I remember the hair. I would like to remember picking them off, but I'm not sure :ack2:

Also remember fresh roasted tails and ears - good times!

glued2it
07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the link!