PDA

View Full Version : Lexington BBQ Battle Results

Fatback Joe
05-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Well, as the defending GC there, I had hoped for a little better showing, but it is what it is.

Chicken 13th - Chicken was the one thing I had been able to count on the last several comps, but not this one. I over cooked it a bit, but it was the taste scores that did me in. Seems you either loved it or hated it and 2 judges hated it. :shrug:

Ribs 9th - They were ok and the judges agreed, pretty consistent scores, but nothing special.

Pork 1st - I thought it was the best pork I had done in a while and the judges thought so as well. 1st in pork by 9 points over second place. :cheer:

Brisket 19th - Worst comp brisket I had ever made and the scores reflected it. Just had a bad chunk of beef. As soon as I removed it from the smoker I knew I was screwed. :misbehaving: Since I started cooking Wagyu, I only cook one at the comp and it cost me.

Wound up 8th overall.

Anyhow, nice to get the first solo comp of the year out of the way........on to the next one......with 2 briskets this time. :msn-wink:

Smoke'n Hebrew
05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
1st place pork is something you should be very proud of.:thumbs up:
I'm sure you will do better next time on the other category's.

swamprb
05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Well, at least its over. I know how you feel, better luck next time.

tomshoots
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Certainly down from "GC" status, but still not bad overall. Be proud of your Number 1 Pork! Good show!!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Most excellent showing Grasshopper!:thumbs up::msn-wink:

PigCicles
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
First solo down with a head of steam - next one you'll take back that seat plus one. Sorry for the dip - looking forward to your next success though

Schmokin Party
05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Nice Job! I hear the Okie likes wagyu burgers.....maybe he has an extra...LOL
:thumbs up::thumbs up:

BYBBQ
05-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Certainly down from "GC" status, but still not bad overall. Be proud of your Number 1 Pork! Good show!!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

:whathesaid:..:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Fatback Joe
05-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Nice Job! I hear the Okie likes wagyu burgers.....maybe he has an extra...LOL
:thumbs up::thumbs up:

I have another Wagyu in the freezer that I am contemplating grinding up Okie style.

In any case, I am bringing 2 briskets next time.

SmokyOkie
05-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I have another Wagyu in the freezer that I am contemplating grinding up Okie style.

In any case, I am bringing 2 briskets next time.

I'm a firm believer in 2 of everything.

Fatback Joe
05-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm a firm believer in 2 of everything.

Yeah, I knew better........especially with all the SRF complaints lately I should have taken some extra precaution. It did not cook up well at all.

SmokyOkie
05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I knew better........especially with all the SRF complaints lately I should have taken some extra precaution. It did not cook up well at all.

Did I tell you that they have been shipping product that isn't aged at all? That would be OK if they told folks how long ago it was killed, but to send someone something different that what they were used to and not tell them the difference is a little less than ethical to me.

Smoke'n Hebrew
05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Did I tell you that they have been shipping product that isn't aged at all? That would be OK if they told folks how long ago it was killed, but to send someone something different that what they were used to and not tell them the difference is a little less than ethical to me.

If not for the BBQ community in the US who would buy Wagyu brisket? I think it would all be ground into "Kobe" burgers. Snake River should appreciate the favor that their BBQ customers do for them. They are not the only purveyor in the country, are they?

SmokyOkie
05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
"E=Mitchell Rubin;133391]If not for the BBQ community in the US who would buy Wagyu brisket? I think it would all be ground into "Kobe" burgers. Snake River should appreciate the favor that their BBQ customers do for them. They are not the only purveyor in the country, are they?[/QUOTE]

No, but one of the better known.

they seem to have a bad case of swelled ego and are not doing a very good job of handling their new found success. they need to remember that they can fall into oblivion faster than they rose to fame.

Fatback Joe
05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle things. Time will tell