PDA

View Full Version : Comments please

edgybob
07-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Did some ribs a couple of weeks ago and would like some comments.

I used mustard and a rub recipe that contained brown sugar on the ribs.

After I took them from the propane GOSM, I brushed them with sauce and seared them on the gas charmbroiler. This gave them the dark spots you see.

They were delicious and were consumed to the bone by a couple of people who claimed they did not even like ribs. So I am satisfied with the taste.

My concern is with the dark bark. Some of it was pretty crispy but the meat underneath was juicy (even 2 weeks later after I vacuum packed them, froze them and then reheated them). I just do not like the look of them.

I think the searing gave them that bark. Is there an alternative to brushing them and searing them? Should I mop them? How would I mop them? Should I use a rub that does not contain brown sugar?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn277/bobsalas/019.jpg
Ready to come out

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn277/bobsalas/020.jpg
Searing on the grill.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn277/bobsalas/021.jpg
Ready to eat.

I would not be so concerned aobut the wasy then look except we are have a BBQ at our house and I want eveything to be as perfect as perfect can be. Also, I would like to imporve my cook so that I can start a catering business here.

TX Sandman
07-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Don't see pics, so I can't comment on the looks.

I'd bet the searing did caramelize some of the sugars in the rub and sauce. If you're planning on searing the sauce, you're probably gonna have to live with that, though.

cabinetmaker
07-20-2008, 02:55 PM
No pics here either.

glued2it
07-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Take a look at this thread and we will get back to you.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106

Seems your pictures don't have the proper format.

Q-N-Brew
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Bob, I took the liberty of inserting the pics that you posted. You might consider resizing them at photobucket.

The dark bark is the sugars caramelizing from the heat. Looks good to me though.

cabinetmaker
07-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I see the pics now. Look good from here, but I'm no rib expert. Seems to me that taste is the important thing. I do know from experience that brown sugar will turn hard and crusty. Learned that the hard way.

edgybob
07-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks Q-N-Brew for the help with the pics.
Just wanted to see if you were awake.
So it was a phot size issue?

Seriously, I think my 30 seconds of searing may have been more like 90 seconds. Because they carmelized really fast.
It has been so long since I have eaten ribs at a rib joint I forgot what they are supposed to look like. Besides the place around here serve them smothered in sauce.
Just want everything to be perfect.

Q-N-Brew
07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Photo size was not the issue with it not posting. I just copied and pasted the IMG code under each of the pictures you had listed. The size that shows up now is causing the containers to readjust to hold them. That in turns makes the written replies wide and everyone has to scroll to read all of the reply.

If you resize to 640 X 480 then they show up fine and no scrolling is required. It's your call though.

mwthomas
07-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I see the pictures. Ribs still look delicious

glued2it
07-20-2008, 04:08 PM
That in turns makes the written replies wide and everyone has to scroll to read all of the reply.

If you resize to 640 X 480 then they show up fine and no scrolling is required. It's your call though.

well not everyone has to scroll just the one with small monitors.
I bought a large monitor to compesate for small......uh....... I mean large pics.:msn-wink:

600x800 is about the largets you want to go.
Remeber that not everyone views their screen just like you do yours.

I have to constantly remind myself of that.

TX Sandman
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Seriously, I think my 30 seconds of searing may have been more like 90 seconds. Because they carmelized really fast.
It has been so long since I have eaten ribs at a rib joint I forgot what they are supposed to look like. Besides the place around here serve them smothered in sauce.
Just want everything to be perfect.

Looking at those pics, they look perfect to me. The few times I've seared sauce on ribs, they looked like those. 60-90 seconds is about all you want to sear a sauce, IMO.

SmokyOkie
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
In Oklahoma and Texas, it is a sin to put sauce on BBQ before it is served. In this part of the woods BBQ is separated into 2 separate arts, one being the meat, the other being the sauce. a good many BBQ connoisseurs will not put sauce on their Q at all. In fact it is rare that folks put sauce on a SmokyOkie brisket, whether cooked by me or anyone else. It just doesn't need it.

If you do feel the need to glaze your ribs, you might try lowering the heat for your sear. Personally, I like the taste of slightly scorched sugars.

As far as catering goes, i think that edibility is more important than appearance. I mean it's not like it's a KCBS competition, most customersw don't really have a preconceived notion of what the appearance of a 9 rib should be.

If everybody loved 'em, don't change 'em.:thumbs up:

JamesB
07-20-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm not a fan of searing the ribs at the end, but a lot of folks do it... I will sometimes apply a finishing glaze that is high in sugar right as I take the ribs off the pit. This glaze sets up very nicely without needing a ride on the other grill.

If I use a variation of a glaze containing brown sugar, mustard and apple cider vinegar (from Danny Gaulden)... Pic below of the glaze on some spares.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/TexasQCrew/Food/Ribs_030108/th_RIBS_HW_030108_74.jpg (http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/TexasQCrew/Food/Ribs_030108/RIBS_HW_030108_74.jpg)

edgybob
07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I am just nervous aobut this event.
I am still learning, and having fun doing so.:eating:

Thanks again eveyone.

mwthomas
07-20-2008, 06:49 PM
If a turtle never stuck his head out of the shell he would never go anywhere. Do the event.
And remember-if your going to be a bear be a grizzly bear.

SmokyOkie
07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm not a fan of searing the ribs at the end, but a lot of folks do it... I will sometimes apply a finishing glaze that is high in sugar right as I take the ribs off the pit. This glaze sets up very nicely without needing a ride on the other grill.

If I use a variation of a glaze containing brown sugar, mustard and apple cider vinegar (from Danny Gaulden)... Pic below of the glaze on some spares.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/TexasQCrew/Food/Ribs_030108/th_RIBS_HW_030108_74.jpg (http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/TexasQCrew/Food/Ribs_030108/RIBS_HW_030108_74.jpg)

What's the mix ratio?

JamesB
07-20-2008, 09:22 PM
What's the mix ratio?

I don't measure when making this anymore, but here is Danny's original recipe. I keep it warm and apply it thin... I think if you let it cool and thicken up, as in the original, it really becomes too much on top of the rib, applied thin, it is really good.

DANNY GAULDEN'S "New" RIB GLAZE - September, 1999

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or beer)

1) Mix cold and bring to a simmer, stir until sugar is dissolved.
2) Let cool till ready to baste ribs.
3) If too thick, add more vinegar or beer.
4) Should be at least thick enough to coat a spoon.
5) Apply to ribs the very second they come off the pit.
6) Or put on a coat of glaze on about 2 minutes before removing ribs, then another as soon as they are off the pit.

TX Sandman
07-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I am just nervous aobut this event.
I am still learning, and having fun doing so.:eating:

Thanks again eveyone.

I'm the same way when I'm cooking for folks. Just relax, have fun, and remember you're cooking for family and friends. It's all good.

peculiarmike
07-20-2008, 10:29 PM
All I can say is -
Those ribs look FINE to me (and I've seen/chewed a few)
If folks ate them "to the bone" that says it all bud.
Don't get all sweaty, give it a go! Have fun. :msn-wink:

StrikeEagle
07-21-2008, 05:53 PM
I may be new to this community, but not at all new to Q. I've never understood the reason for grilling/searing ribs at the very end of a cook. Anyone care to enlighten me?

As for my personal experience, for personal cooks, and many catering gigs, I'll serve ribs both ways. Wet and glazed with a thinned sauce. I always serve my sauce as a side option, so even those who opt for dry rubbed ribs can add sauce as they please. Many folks just don't get the idea of a dry rubbed rib being served w/o sauce, so I also give the option for a glazed rib. I thin my regular sauce with a little vinegar, a touch of honey and a tad of "Gentleman Jack", apply it to the ribs and close the smoker for about 5 min to set the glaze. Just another man's method of finishing. :twocents:

As for being nervous, don't be. Reality is that your ribs will be better than 95% of the Q your friends and family have ever eaten. Your food will be the hit of the party. And, you'll be the hero of the Q to all who attend. :wow:

Have fun!

Jake
07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
look pretty dam good to me, dont get to worried about some marks as long as it tastes goooood who cares, i dont remeber a time i had someone say... man those ribs were great but did you notice the spots:roflmaoha0:
(i think its us who punish ourselfs more, when we want it to look 100%. i know i get p/o when i screw up grill marks on something, but no one else cares as long as it tastes good. :msn-wink:

BA_LoKo
07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Good comments, Jamie.

Since you're new, please stop by the "C'mon in & Sit Down" forum and tell us a bit about yourself. I see that you have a pellet burner "in the works". Have you got any pictures you could share?

In any case, welcome to the forum!

SmokyOkie
07-21-2008, 09:17 PM
We like BBs with sauce glazed over themfrom time to time, but to us, BBs aren't BBQ, they're grilling food. what the dance across the fire with the high sugar sauce does is to provide flavor and aroma packed caramel by virtue of scorching the sugar.

I think it's good stuff, but it's not Q to us.

Personally, I think a lot of nonQers have childhood memories of scorched BBQ sauce on chicken or something else prepared by their nonQer parents..I think the answer is that it's outdoor comfort food.

mr jig
07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, first i think the ribs look fine.

Taste of course is all important!

I don't think there is such a thing as "perfect" Q
Q is more art than science so there is a big luck component and lots of variables.

I would please myself first!
dick

SmokyOkie
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, first i think the ribs look fine.

Taste of course is all important!

I don't think there is such a thing as "perfect" Q
Q is more art than science so there is a big luck component and lots of variables.

I would please myself first!
dick

Equal amounts of each IMHO, but as a now famous man once said,"To the creative mind, Perfection is but a temporary state."