PDA

View Full Version : Saw Three New Grills Today

lostarrow
03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Had to get blood work done & finished about 3 PM so went "shopping".
Kroger had the Char-Griller Kamodo for $299, looks much better built than most chargriller products!
If you wanted an almost affordable Kamodo cooker might be worth looking into. Main problem the cast iron grates were too thin to cook fish , seafood & fragile veggies without a basket.
Acadamy had a Cajun Injector UDS, for $129, think with a charcoal ring ( easy to make it would be a decent vertical smoker.
Academy also had a CB-940X for $299 assembled!
Looked great big cooking area , heavy charcoal grates even the cutting boards weren't warped
I can't have any of them
If I had a good charcoal grill & no smoker if I needed to be very frugal I'd get the UDS, it would be hard to build one for much less.
If I had a good grill & needed a smoker & money wasn't important I'd get the kamodo.
If I did not have a good charcoal cooker I'd get the CB-940X it'll work as a great grill & good smoker!
I paid $159 for a CB-940 in 1980 ,it functioned well for 15 years as my only cooker!

tomshoots
03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Had to get blood work done & finished about 3 PM so went "shopping".
Kroger had the Char-Griller Kamodo for $299, looks much better built than most chargriller products!
If you wanted an almost affordable Kamodo cooker might be worth looking into. Main problem the cast iron grates were too thin to cook fish , seafood & fragile veggies without a basket.
Acadamy had a Cajun Injector UDS, for $129, think with a charcoal ring ( easy to make it would be a decent vertical smoker.
Academy also had a CB-940X for $299 assembled!
Looked great big cooking area , heavy charcoal grates even the cutting boards weren't warped
I can't have any of them
If I had a good charcoal grill & no smoker if I needed to be very frugal I'd get the UDS, it would be hard to build one for much less.
If I had a good grill & needed a smoker & money wasn't important I'd get the kamodo.
If I did not have a good charcoal cooker I'd get the CB-940X it'll work as a great grill & good smoker!
I paid $159 for a CB-940 in 1980 ,it functioned well for 15 years as my only cooker!

I'm very interested in the CG Komado. There are some good video reviews on YouTube.

Cajun Injector UDS? Ugly Drum Smoker? Didn't know they made one. At that price, not much reason to build your own, huh? Or is this more of an ECB?

SmokyOkie
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
I bought a CB 940 in the mid '80s. A few years ago it was rusting out and I had it rebuilt out of stainless. I had a local small foundry make some grates for it, but they didn't last long.

Eventually I found some Charbroil adjustable cast iron grtaes that fit it perfectly, then somebody stole my comp trailer and they got the grill with it.

I have seen the 940x. It is not quite the grill the CB-940 was.