PDA

View Full Version : Blackberries -- Advise Needed

tsunami_tommy
07-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I've got a blackberry bush that is neglected but still producing berries. I have no idea how to take care of it or what to do with the fruit. I was wondering if anyone had any pie or schnapps/liquor recipies. I would think any raspberry reasoning would work here as well. If anyone has any advise lay it on me.

SmokyOkie
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
In the fall, remove all but the 1st year canes. Only the first year canes will produce next year and the less other plant there is to support, the more energy will be available for the producing canes. You should also be able to see where some canes arch up and then down to the ground. the plant is trying to reproduce there. Weigh the tips down and make sure it is easy for them to root into the soil. They will become new plants next year.

As to recipes, depending on how sweet they are, add sugar and allow them to macerate a few hours taste them and see how sweet they are. Add a little simple suger if they haven't mad a substantial liquid on their own, then put them in a baking dish and dump a box of Jiffy cake mix on top and bake. It should make a dandy cobbler though all berries are slightly different and you will likely need to tweak the recipe to fit your berries.

tsunami_tommy
07-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I've noticed in past years that the old canes dry up like twigs and pull out really easy....those need to go right? And any of this years need to find their tips back to the ground.

Should I be trimming the bush this time of year. I just cut some cane ends (branches) cause it's growin wild. I'm probably killing the yield by doing this right?

Thanks for the recipie!

Now I need one for the blackberry wine.

BlazerQue
07-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Now you are bringing back memories. We had lots of wild blackberries growing around our place. We'd pick them and then take them to my grandmother who would then make cobbler with them.

Another piece of family lore:

My parents eloped 50 years ago today. They left a note stating that they were going blackberry picking and went to South Carolina and got married.

SmokyOkie
07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I've noticed in past years that the old canes dry up like twigs and pull out really easy....those need to go right? And any of this years need to find their tips back to the ground.

Should I be trimming the bush this time of year. I just cut some cane ends (branches) cause it's growin wild. I'm probably killing the yield by doing this right?

Thanks for the recipie!

Now I need one for the blackberry wine.

Prolly better to train them where you want the bushes to go. This is not the time of year to prune them. The ones that turn prown and die are the two year old ones. If you want, you can mark the ones that produce this year by tieng a ribbon or something on them. they won't produce next year so cut them out this fall after they go dormant.

tsunami_tommy
07-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the advise Smokie!!!

SmokyOkie
07-19-2008, 06:48 PM
When they start making more berries than you can eat, send me a quart.:msn-wink:

Oh. wait, we already have more blackberries than tx sandman has blueberries.