PDA

View Full Version : Chargriller Egg?

tomshoots
02-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Saw this at Lowe's today. Looks like a cheap alternative to BGE's. http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-6719_4294857763+4294961701_44_?productId=3609214&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1

SmokyOkie
02-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I think you should go buy one and do a review on it for us.:shrug:

BYBBQ
02-25-2012, 11:20 PM
I have seen them and they are similar to a Keg. Maybe a little lighter weight.
They seem well made. I know the reviews I have read on other forums done by people who have Kegs or BGE's say they are worth the money.
I saw where someone posted that Menards(sp) had them for $249.00

tomshoots
02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
$199 at Lowe's.

BluDawg
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I saw one at Lowes a few weeks ago made me feel like a kid at Christmas then reality set in I have two pieces of cook equipment in the shed that haven't see the sunshine in a loooong time. I don't need another. But I promised me if I ever wear out something....:sifone:

SmokyOkie
02-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Give 'em a year or two to get the bugs out.

Vermin99
02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
The website says its 299 at my Lowes. It looks nice but like everyone else my patio keeps getting smaller and smaller.

pf89
02-26-2012, 12:37 PM
seen one at menards like it but it was not made of ceramic just wondering if this one is

BYBBQ
02-26-2012, 01:38 PM
seen one at menards like it but it was not made of ceramic just wondering if this one is

All the Char-Griller Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grills are insulated steel cookers.

tomshoots
02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
I certainly have no need for any new cooker but...:shrug:

It's less than half the price of any ceramic egg. Very tempting!

SmokyOkie
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
....And i don't even have and Egg.

PigCicles
02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
If I'm going to break down for a BGE style cooker, I want it to be ceramic. Jim said it is an isulated steel cooker. i would be a little leary of it holding up at high temp use for very long.

Boiled down - I'd have to see it in person and I expect to be very critical because I don't want to buy something that is going to burn through in a few years... just me maybe.

BYBBQ
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
If I'm going to break down for a BGE style cooker, I want it to be ceramic. Jim said it is an isulated steel cooker. i would be a little leary of it holding up at high temp use for very long.

Boiled down - I'd have to see it in person and I expect to be very critical because I don't want to buy something that is going to burn through in a few years... just me maybe.

I had the same reservations about the Keg I received as a gift from my wife. I have been cooking on it for over 2 yrs. now and haven't had any large complaints. They definitely have a learning curve, as most cookers do.

I might not be the best person to judge the over-all experience of cooking on an insulated steel cooker because I have never used my Keg for low & slow cooking, that's what I have drums and a Spicewine for, and if you look at my posts it does a great job of grilling at high temps(I love making grill marks on food).
That being said, I haven't cooked on a Char-Griller Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grill.

Are they built as good as a Keg? They do seem to be lighter built, even the cast-iron grates are thinner, but time will tell. They are a new item to the market.

Are they as good overall as a BGE ? I doubt it and they will never have the accessories that the BGE's have.

But will they be a good cooker for the money ( 1/4 the price of the same size BGE and 1/3 the price of a Keg ). I think that to many people they will be a good affordable alternative ( because of price ) to the BGE, Primo, or a Keg.

JMHO-YMMV

SmokyOkie
02-27-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm with you Jim on all counts.

Not everybody can shell out that much$ all at once.

At that price, if you did burn one out everyfew years, it would take a while to break even vs. a Primo or BGE.

I think the real question is how well they cook, and I can pretty well guarantee that if you cook hot and often, you would be replacing grates once a year or so.

PigCicles
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Well said Jim. I need to see if I can find one in person to look it over. I might be an easier sale if I was actually in the market for that style of cooker.

SmokyOkie
02-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Soooooo...do we all chip in and buy one and have whoever went to the trouble to buy it review it? It's $20 worth of curiosity to me.:shrug:

tomshoots
02-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Never owned or cooked on any sort of similar cooker. I would sort of lean toward The Keg if I was to buy one. Metal seems like a good idea vs. breakable ceramic.

But as Tim said, it's all about how well it cooks. It's no doubt lesser quality than Ceramic Eggs or the Keg, but still not bad for the price. It looks to be worth it to me. But as I said, I have no experience with egg type cookers.:shrug:

bamsbbq
02-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I say just build mini Smokey Joe Smoker. LOL

Cheap to build, cheap to cook on, cooks a surprising amount of food and energy effiecient. While not insulated I have had no problems cooking in 40* temps ;)

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

SmokyOkie
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
I say just build mini Smokey Joe Smoker. LOL

Cheap to build, cheap to cook on, cooks a surprising amount of food and energy effiecient. While not insulated I have had no problems cooking in 40* temps ;)

Maybe so, but the Egg will cook in -4

bamsbbq
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Ya it is a great cooker. I am a cheap sob and honestly couldn't afford an egg or anything similar :)

SmokyOkie
02-28-2012, 09:59 PM
A body doesn't have to have a fancy cooker to make great grub. It just makes it easier. I'm sure you do just fine with what you have.:msn-wink:

Animal
03-01-2012, 08:26 AM
The Lowe's site is down. Is this the one you are talking about, you have me curious

http://bbq.setzler.net/2012/02/29/char-griller-kamado/

cabinetmaker
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
I was in Lowes yesterday for some other stuff and stopped and took a good long look at this unit. At first look, the enameled finish is of good quality. The foldable side trays are made of stamped steel with either powder coat or industrial finish. Opening the lid revealed what may be a weak point with the hinge. Quite a bit of side play, but I know the guys who put these things together don't know how to tighten a bolt!!! The lid gasket is easy to change out. The adjustable, daisy wheel type exhaust damper looked to made of cast material of some kind. May aluminum or white metal. It said the inside was porcelain. The cooking grate is cast iron and looked like the same quality as in my CG/sfb. That unit is 7 years old and the grates are as good as new. The bottom shelf is stamped steel rather that just a wire grate. The wheels are lockable. Charcoal grate looks to be chrome, or stainless. didn't have a magnet on me. With my Veterans discount, its priced at 270.00. I think this would be a great addition for anyone's cooker collection, and I will have one soon.

I also looked at the new Oklahoma Joe's ( not affiliated with Joe Davidson anymore). $499.00. Its made of stamped steel, maybe 20 gauge. The cooking grates are black wire racks. I was not at all impressed by this unit. My Belfab unit of the same size made from 5/16" steel was 50 bucks less.

SmokyOkie
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Joe sold to Briinckmann a few years ago. If you want the old high quality Joe, buy a horizon. His brother roger is making them in Perry, OK.

You can get them at Atwood's and other places.

tomshoots
03-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Here's a review. I'll provide this link for Part 1. You can hit the other You Tube links for the rest; 4 parts in all so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWZ7h-aZdw&feature=related