PDA

View Full Version : Chix & ABT's

peculiarmike
07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
We have nephew Paul staying with us this week, junior in HS. He really likes the offerings from the smoker. Come to think of it, he likes about any sort of food. That's why he's known as "The Pit". A week is about all I can afford to feed him.
Anyhow, I made him put together a bunch of ABT's this morning and we smoked them and 10 lbs. of chix leg quarters this afternoon.
Did the chix on the drum and the ABT's on the GOSM gasser.
Everything turned out great.
Part of the chix got Happy Holla rub, part got Happy Holla and Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce, and three of the quarters got a new untried pecan honey seasoning I picked up at Cabela's last week. Has thyme in it and smells good, had to try it. It is good, maybe better on pork. Label says to add chopped pecans and use it as a crust on pork chops, and I think I will.

Jake
07-17-2008, 01:15 AM
holly crap that looooooooooooks good what is it a got going with the bacon wrap and how'd ya do it. im still wiping the drool from my mouth (i had to call my wife over from across the room to look) jake

nascarchuck
07-17-2008, 02:51 AM
Welcome Jake!!! :sign0016:

Those are called ABT's or Atomic Buffalo Turds. Oh, they are sooo good!

Basically gut the pepper, stuff with cheese (most common is cream cheese) and you can also mix meats, fruits, etc in them too. Wrap bacon around 'em and smoke 'em or grill 'em indirect.

Personally my favorite is cream cheese and fajita chicken meat.

Here are two how to posts on ABT's. http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Give 'em a shot. I bet you like 'em! :thumbs up:

peculiarmike
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
:whathesaid:
ABT's Jake! The smoker's friend. A tasty snack. :msn-wink:
I used chive and onion cream cheese, added a good bit of shredded cheddar and some Fatboy Rub. I have a jerky shooter I use to fill them, makes it much easier. Wrap in a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Smoke at 225-250 for about 3 hours with your favorite wood.

Go here for some recipes and items to help make them easier to assemble.

http://www.irondesert.com/pages.php?pageid=1

ENJOY! :cheers2:

(Oh yeah, you will want "something cool to drink" with them. Smoking the japs actually takes most of the heat out of them. I didn't say ALL.)