PDA

View Full Version : Zippy Pickles, take 2

Willkat98
07-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant japs, calls for 1 per jar.

bigger jars, and we'll let them sit longer this time.

Bubba, thats a quarter next to the jap

Jake
07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
mmmmmmmm sweet with heat,

PigCicles
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Bet they're pretty tastey too. :thumbs up:

BTW ... that quarter is a long way from a C note :msn-wink: 399 more of em and that pepper won't look so big :roflmaoha0:

Willkat98
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Now WTF do I do?

They now say that you should not eat any fresh Jalepeno's (store bought) from the previous 2 weeks.

WTF?

You think the vinegar will kill the bacteria (if it's present)?

Fatback Joe
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Now WTF do I do?

They now say that you should not eat any fresh Jalepeno's (store bought) from the previous 2 weeks.

WTF?

You think the vinegar will kill the bacteria (if it's present)?

Feed them to your wife and wait a day or two.

Willkat98
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Feed them to your wife and wait a day or two.

You first.

PM me your addy

:msn-wink:

Might try one out on the bastard dog next door.

Fatback Joe
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
You first.

PM me your addy

:msn-wink:

Might try one out on the bastard dog next door.

I actually have a batch in the fridge, no need to send yours. :msn-wink:

Willkat98
07-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I needed to "make room" in the new jar for the jalepenos when I opened them last week.

Forgot I put a half dozen slices in the previous Zippy Pickle brine.

Last night, it was burgers on the grill, served on toasted bagels, with Sweet Baby Rays on one side, 4 zippy bread and butters on the other.

Man, were they good!!!

07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
So , a whole jalop into a jar of bread and butters ? Or do you halve or quarter it first ?

And how long before you start taste testing ?

Willkat98
07-24-2008, 06:06 PM
So , a whole jalop into a jar of bread and butters ? Or do you halve or quarter it first ?

And how long before you start taste testing ?

Quarter it, 1 week.

These were biggun's

Smaller Japs, I quatered 2 each jar

07-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks :thumbs up: I must have lived a sheltered life , never heard of this before :blushing:

Can't stand dill pickles , but bread and butter with a zing sound really good :sign0092:

SmokyOkie
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
These are good

Hot bread n butters (http://www.gedneypickle.com/index.cfm/go/products.detail/itemID/17900SF)

They used to make thick sliced ones, I like d them better, thick crunchy, spicy 'n' hot.

I'm going to have to try your method on some Claussen B'nBs

Willkat98
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Final update:

The level of heat permeation is in direct proportion to the # of Japs (or whatever your heat source) and time, after the initial infusion, becomes irrelevant.

This makes sense to me now, of course, after thinking about it. After 3 full weeks, there is no discernable heat difference since the end of week 1.

Batch #1 had more Japs, so naturally it took it longer to reach maximum heat.

But it is impossible to get the pickles hotter than the heat level of the original source, regardless of how long they sit in the jap solution. Makes sense, I don't know why I thought length of additional time was a factor.

Whole is the sum of the parts Mod

Great on burgers!

08-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the update :thumbs up:

Teaser
08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
You've inspired me to try a little experimenting myself there Bill. Shoved a quartered Serrano in a jar of Mt. Olive Koshers about a week ago. Will see what develops. :thumbs up:

-dave

TX Sandman
10-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Resurrecting an old thread, but I don't want to take any credit for this. Thanks for the idea, Bill! :thumbs up:

I finally made a batch of these. Started with a jar of Bread & Butter pickles Karen picked up by accident at the store. Not wanting to waste it, and having a spare pepper, I decided to give this a try. Cut 12 slits in a jalapeno and sunk it in the brine. First week, I could taste some spice, but not enough for me. This is after 3 weeks. It's got some bite, enough to let you know it's there. I'm gonna let it go another week or so and see how it all develops before I add another jap or pull this one out.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/307/dsc01839md9.jpg

Jake
10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Resurrecting an old thread, but I don't want to take any credit for this. Thanks for the idea, Bill! :thumbs up:

I finally made a batch of these. Started with a jar of Bread & Butter pickles Karen picked up by accident at the store. Not wanting to waste it, and having a spare pepper, I decided to give this a try. Cut 12 slits in a jalapeno and sunk it in the brine. First week, I could taste some spice, but not enough for me. This is after 3 weeks. It's got some bite, enough to let you know it's there. I'm gonna let it go another week or so and see how it all develops before I add another jap or pull this one out.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/307/dsc01839md9.jpg
oh yeah let us know how it turns out:drooling:

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Drop a Bhut or a Hab in it Rob!

TX Sandman
10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Don't have one. Besides, this is to see how it works, and see how hot they get. A hab may be my next batch.

Jake
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Drop a Bhut or a Hab in it Rob!

:blushing: what the heck is a Bhut??? :blushing: and dont tell me the thing at the back of me or that you would spell that but or butt :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0:

TX Sandman
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
:blushing: what the heck is a Bhut??? :blushing: and dont tell me the thing at the back of me or that you would spell that but or butt :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0:

"Bhut jolokia" is "ghost pepper" in India. Basically, it's the hottest known pepper out there. Click here (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/071026-hottest-pepper.html) for some info.

Okie grew some in his garden this year. For some ideas on what he did with 'em try here (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1599) and here (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509).

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Bhut Jolokia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXuFuN5KPbw&NR=1), the world's hottest pepper.

Actually, it appears the pepper in the video was a Habanero though. Bhut Jolokia is measurably 3 or foru times hotter.

Jake
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
so these are the ones or like the ones in the post smoky sent me on the town it showed a bunch of peppers from india and said they were the hotest, huh i was always tod a habenaro was the hotest.... dam liars.:msn-wink:
now back to the links. thanks for the info guys.

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Use your spell checker Jake!:roflmaoha0:

No, not liars, just ignorant, and being ignorant isn;t so bad. There are things that all of us are ignorant of.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance can be a temporary condition that is easily cured with education. Stupidity is not.

No shame in ignorance if you seek to correct it. :msn-wink:
Use your spell checker Jake!

Jake
10-28-2008, 07:25 PM
oh smoky, with all this spell check talk i think you may be a substitute teacher, grammar boy.
ps i used spell check and only 2 things showed up. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
No Jake, I just like being able to know what your saying.:roflmaoha0:

It's all good bro. You just keep on posting. I'll figure it out.

Jake
10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
ok my friend i'll try to post slower for you :msn-wink::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoh a0:

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
U da Dood Jake.:thumbs up:

Fatback Joe
10-29-2008, 07:14 AM
ok my friend i'll try to post slower for you :msn-wink::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoh a0:

Try to type with an Okie accent........I don't think it is the speed, it is the accent that is getting him. LOL

californiasmokin
10-29-2008, 07:32 AM
oh smoky, with all this spell check talk i think you may be a substitute teacher, grammar boy.
p.s. i used spell check and only 2 things showed up. :msn-wink:

Use Firefox Jake, it will underline any words in red that might be spelled wrong.

Willkat98
10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Use Firefox Jake, it will underline any words in red that might be spelled wrong.

Cali,

Do you need a plug in for that?

My Firefox doesnt underline anything, but I think I only have Mouse Trails and AccuWeather add ins loaded

californiasmokin
10-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Cali,

My Firefox doesnt underline anything, but I think I only have Mouse Trails and AccuWeather add ins loaded

I don't think so Bill,
When was the last time you updated to the latest version?
Joe(Pigcicles) was the one who clued me into it.

Willkat98
10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't think so Bill,
When was the last time you updated to the latest version?
Joe(Pigcicles) was the one who clued me into it.

Thanks Paul, I'll look into it tonight.

I have the latest, like 3.02 or whatever the one that came out couple weeks ago.

Maybe I gotta switch something "on"

I doubt I'm a perfect speller, but ya never know :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Try to type with an Okie accent........I don't think it is the speed, it is the accent that is getting him. LOL

No, not really. I'm just trying to figure out what hoter is, or maybe that's just a Canuck accent. Or is that a Florida accent?

Cali,

It was on mine the first time I loaded FF about 9 months ago.

Fatback Joe
10-29-2008, 11:48 AM
No, not really. I'm just trying to figure out what hoter is, or maybe that's just a Canuck accent. Or is that a Florida accent?

The Florida accent varies depending on what part of New York you are from. :msn-wink:

Willkat98
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
It was on mine the first time I loaded FF about 9 months ago.

So what your saying is you just ignore all the underlines?

LOL

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
The Florida accent varies depending on what part of New York you are from. :msn-wink:

Until you get farther north ot in the middle, then it's kinda like the movie Deliverance:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

So what your saying is you just ignore all the underlines?

LOL

Yeah, sometimes. Sometimes it misses them too. It's no the best spell checker and it really seems to have a prollem w/ contractions.

Willkat98
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Tim,

Have you tried making zippy pickles with a pinch of that ninja dust?

That might be pretty good

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
No, but I will, and I'll report back.

TX Sandman
10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Tim,

Have you tried making zippy pickles with a pinch of that ninja dust?

That might be pretty good

Y'know, that crossed my mind as well. Only problem I see would be no way of removing the dust if it starts getting too hot.

BTW, no noticeable change in my zippy B&Bs from last week. I have to agree with Bill: after the first week or 2, you've probably got about all the heat you're gonna get.

:shrug: Now, do I add another jap for comparison, or do I start over with a different batch and maybe a hab? Decisions, decisions. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I vote one hab per jar. the peachy flavor of the hab would be a great compliment for B&Bs doncha think?

BTW, need any aji dulce or rocotillo's?

TX Sandman
10-29-2008, 07:05 PM
BTW, need any aji dulce or rocotillo's?

You mean you *still* have peppers?

Need, no. Want, heck yeah. PM on the way. :thumbs up:

Willkat98
10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
:shrug: Now, do I add another jap for comparison, or do I start over with a different batch and maybe a hab? Decisions, decisions. :msn-wink:

I think you can add one safely to the experiment.

Here's my reasoning

The pickles have been sitting in the same brine for weeks/months before you bought them

Added a jap, and 2 weeks later they are hotter.

There should be no reson why you can't add another to the same batch to crank it up

Think about it.

Its still the same initial brine, only 2 weeks worth of heat. If you crank the heat, in 2 weeks it MUST absorb a similar amount.

Stepping back

The jar you bought, pretend it was from the back of the shelf.

In 4 weeks, it would be at the front.

No time difference is lost from when you start the experiment, IMO

Am I making sense, or has watching Ghost Rider with Nick Cage tonight impaired me

Jake
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
what??
i think what bill is "TRYING" to say is add the pepper, it will make it hotter, it has too when you think about it. but after bill made me dizzy im not going there. :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

TX Sandman
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I think you can add one safely to the experiment.
Am I making sense, or has watching Ghost Rider with Nick Cage tonight impaired me

:D Too easy. I'ma let that one go by.

Yeah, I'll probably add a jap to the current jar. Problem is, it's only 'bout a half-jar at the moment. Too many testers. :msn-wink:

what??
i think what bill is "TRYING" to say is add the pepper, it will make it hotter, it has too when you think about it. but after bill made me dizzy im not going there. :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

:chickn4: :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Worst that could happen is that they would end up hotter than you want, but that doesn;t ruin them.

Side, it doesn't sound like they'll be around long enough to get too hot anyway.:msn-wink: