PDA

View Full Version : Tonights menu: chicken and corn

cabinetmaker
07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Smnoked a chicken and a couple pieces of corn on the cob for din tonight.
Heres the results.

Chicken hit 170 when removed
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_2747.jpg

corn
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_2748.jpg

On the plate.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_2751.jpg

Can't forget momma's strawberry Margarita.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_2753.jpg

Tim, are the plate holders familiar?

Smoked the corn without removeing the silk, and adding butter this time. I'll do it next time. It was worth the effort. Also, didn't use the bag this time. There was more smoke flavor, but all in all it wasn't as good.

PigCicles
07-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks like some good eats to me buster. All ya needed was a baked tater to throw on there. Thanks for sharing dinner.

cabinetmaker
07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Looks like some good eats to me buster. All ya needed was a baked tater to throw on there. Thanks for sharing dinner.

Been wondering about the baker. Haven't done it yet. What temp and how long? Usually do them at 375 for 1 1/2 hours in the oven. How long at lower temps?

BA_LoKo
07-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Dang, Neighbor. That all looks wonderful! Again, I get no phone call. :tap:

Oh well, I guess I'd better get the invites sent out and have you friends over. That way I can show up without notice. :roflmaoha0: (Not you, Jeremy. I'm sure you don't believe in clothes whilst you're home) :smack: :roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Been wondering about the baker. Haven't done it yet. What temp and how long? Usually do them at 375 for 1 1/2 hours in the oven. How long at lower temps?

If you do em at normal lower smoke temps it will take a couple of hrs or so. Consider a twice smoked tater. When the taters are soft, split em, whip em with say butter, bacon bits, pepper, whatever and put em back in the smoker for a while to gather more smoke .... mmmmm.

Now I want a tater too.

SmokyOkie
07-16-2008, 09:33 PM

About an hour @ 300 if you stick an aluminum nail down the middle. Done @ 190.

Jake
07-17-2008, 01:31 AM
smokie... no Sh@# a nail?? this work??. if so i'll try it. i hate when i do spuds and kill the outside and not the inside (not to often but still get p/o when i kill anything on the grill) i'm in for a new gimmick if they works. jake

Jake
07-17-2008, 01:37 AM
crap guys i got side tracked with the hole nail thing.
the food looks great, but heres my question. i use my grill, to smoke whatever i want to do. but would i be better off if i just bought a smoker to use when i need it (wifes going to kill me) i dont smoke often but i might if i had one (and the time) you guys use your smokers or your q to do it (or both)

nascarchuck
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
the food looks great, but heres my question. i use my grill, to smoke whatever i want to do. but would i be better off if i just bought a smoker to use when i need it (wifes going to kill me) i dont smoke often but i might if i had one (and the time) you guys use your smokers or your q to do it (or both)

If your good with working with your hands, check into making a drum smoker. Cheap, easy and they work great! Cost me less than $75 to make and is much more efficent than my CharGriller.

Here is my drum... http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756

peculiarmike
07-17-2008, 09:43 AM
OK - here's a smoked tater recipe that is real tasty. You can use the herb rub or your own choice. The bacon grease is the secret. Put a dollop in your hand and rub generously all over the taters.

Smoked Potatoes

These are basically smoked potatoes with an herb and spice rub. Sounds like barbecue to me.
INGREDIENTS:

8 baking potatoes (Yukon gold's are good for this)
1 cup bacon grease, softened, not melted
HERB MIX:
2 tablespoons ground sage
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons paprika PREPARATION:

Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times. Place on hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until soft when poked.
I do not foil the potatoes because I like a crunchy skin. I eat the skin. Don't turn them either. Just smoke about 3 hours at 250.
They're YOUR taters, do as YOU like!
Mike

SmokyOkie
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
smokie... no Sh@# a nail?? this work??. if so i'll try it. i hate when i do spuds and kill the outside and not the inside (not to often but still get p/o when i kill anything on the grill) i'm in for a new gimmick if they works. jake

5 or 6" aluminum. Must be aluminum. If you look you will even find themin the kitchen gadget aisle at the grocery store. Not only do they cook more evenly, but faster as well. Cabinetmaker says he cooks them @ 375, I was taught years ago never higher than 325, so that's what I've always done.

If you're good (talk to the Sandman) you can do good Q on a grill, but it's usually easier on a smoker. If you get a smoker, I predict that smoking will become an addiction. Once you discover that you can produce better Q than any Q joint in town and at a fraction of the cost, it compels you to do it often.

If your good with working with your hands, check into making a drum smoker. Cheap, easy and they work great! Cost me less than $75 to make and is much more efficent than my CharGriller.

Here is my drum... http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756

:whathesaid:

OK - here's a smoked tater recipe that is real tasty. You can use the herb rub or your own choice. The bacon grease is the secret. Put a dollop in your hand and rub generously all over the taters.

Smoked Potatoes

These are basically smoked potatoes with an herb and spice rub. Sounds like barbecue to me.
INGREDIENTS:

8 baking potatoes (Yukon gold's are good for this)
1 cup bacon grease, softened, not melted
HERB MIX:
2 tablespoons ground sage
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons paprika PREPARATION:

Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times. Place on hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until soft when poked.
I do not foil the potatoes because I like a crunchy skin. I eat the skin. Don't turn them either. Just smoke about 3 hours at 250.
They're YOUR taters, do as YOU like!
Mike

Mike introduced me to these (I've posted pix of the process somewhere on the site, but I can't find them. Anybody else?). He also introduced me to Okla Joe's Sweet Spot rub. We decided that we like it better than the rub that the recipe calls for. It tastes exactly like Lay's BBQ tater chip seasoning and goes well with the crisp skin. We like to sprinkle more on when we turn the taters. The sugar helps form a crust on the taters.

Kudos Mike!

cowgirl
07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Dang, Cabinetmaker, that looks really good! Strawberry margarita too....Mmmmm.

Jake
07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
ok i think im going to look into getting a smoker. shouldnt be to hard to make the drum up after all you guys did all the leg work, be like following instructions right (crap if i can set up some of the toys the kids get i should be able to do anything :roflmaoha0:) i'll keep you all posted when i make up my mind and get the time to do it.

cabinetmaker
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Consider a twice smoked tater. When the taters are soft, split em, whip em with say butter, bacon bits, pepper, whatever and put em back in the smoker for a while to gather more smoke .... mmmmm.

Hmmm, I do like a twice baked -I mean smoked-tater.

SmokyOkie
07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
The Okette makes a mean twicw baked...I'll have to try them on the smoker sometime.

peculiarmike
07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
ok i think im going to look into getting a smoker. shouldnt be to hard to make the drum up after all you guys did all the leg work, be like following instructions right (crap if i can set up some of the toys the kids get i should be able to do anything :roflmaoha0:) i'll keep you all posted when i make up my mind and get the time to do it.

Jake, if you need advise or direction making the drum smoker let me or BBQBubba know, we will steer you right.
All I can tell you is once you do whatever on the drum you WILL like it!
You get smoked and grilled flavor together.
Plus, you become a member of TheQJoint Drum Corps! :msn-wink:
"You can't beat drum Q!" :drooling: