PDA

View Full Version : What Spices?

chayne
12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Been on here for a few months now. have posted a few pics of my smoke that i have done. i have a question though, what spices should almost always be kept in the spice cabinet. it just seems like each time i want to do something, i have to run to the store to get things. so was just curious what should always be a staple?

PigCicles
12-26-2011, 09:21 PM
The basics that will get you by are salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin.

Other add ins can be dry mustard, white pepper, basil, oregeno, thyme, corriander, celery.

That isn't everything, but it will get you a good rub. You will just need to measure everything until you find what you like best for which ever meat you are seasoning.

SmokyOkie
12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
The basics that will get you by are salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin.

Other add ins can be dry mustard, white pepper, basil, oregeno, thyme, corriander, celery.

That isn't everything, but it will get you a good rub. You will just need to measure everything until you find what you like best for which ever meat you are seasoning.

From there you might also want to expand your savory herb collection with things like sage, rosemary, marjoram and such.

You also don't want to forget the basic sweet spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, etc.

erain
12-27-2011, 05:31 AM
From there you might also want to expand your savory herb collection with things like sage, rosemary, marjoram and such.

You also don't want to forget the basic sweet spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, etc.

agree with Tim... especially if into sausage making, then also mace, fennel and anise, and dont forget red pepper flakes... i personally like peri peri peppers...

one other thing you may want if you do up salmon or say chicken noodle soup, and that is dill weed.

and being we on a roll, oregeno and basil. i have been buying these freeze dried and think they have superior flavor.

one thing i would warn about is dont buy more than what you will use in a short time. they do loose there flavor over time. the big containers are attractive pricewise, find a couple people to split them with so you go thru them faster.

rwc565
12-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I agree with what pigcicles and smokieokie said, but the one thing they left out is Lowery's seasoning salt. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I agree with what pigcicles and smokieokie said, but the one thing they left out is Lowery's seasoning salt. :msn-wink:

I don't use many "all in ones", and if I do, they are usually of my own making.

Here is an approximate clone recipe for the Lawry's product if you would like to make your own. If you try it please let us know how it turned out.

2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

chester
09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I don't use many "all in ones", and if I do, they are usually of my own making.

couldn't sleep this AM and there a small craft advisory on the lake so i'm shore bound, it's just getting light outside so its to early to cut the grass so i find myself going back in the files here.....gonna try the this lawrys duplicate, i bet they add msg though, never read the label, but just a guess.

I'm of the make it yourself if you can kinda guy and mix up my own "pre"made blends some are better than others and sometimes i can't 'member what i put into it, even then i'll use half a batch, then decide to change it up....its never boring this way, but can be frustrating when i nail something and can;t duplicate it.

something i have been toying around with cardamom....it really perks up a jerk blend :mouth zipped shut:

BluDawg
09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Easy *GOSP, Old Bay, Goya perfect seasoning, Mcormick's season all, Celery salt
*Garlic
Onion
Salt
Pepper