PDA

View Full Version : Check my strategy for me

TBS-BBQ
12-14-2011, 03:42 PM
I've got a little competition this weekend. It's actually Monday night, and it's a "friendly" comp between me and a friend at our local fire department. We've both got to do 2 racks of ribs and a brisket for judging by the guys on Monday night. Problem is, I have to cook Sunday due to work. Here's my plan, let me know what you think. I'll do the ribs 3-2-1, saran wrap while warm, then foil, and reheat in an oven at 200 prior to the meeting. Brisket is basically the same, run it to about 180, then saran wrap, foil, and reheat in the oven. My thoughts on the brisket temp are I don't want it to be over-done after resting/reheating. Any changes you all would make? I beat this guy last year and I'm looking to continue the streak. Thanks in advance.

BluDawg
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
If it were me I would cook the bones 3-2 and cool them down, then reheat unwrapped in the oven and glaze the last 15 min. As for the brisket cook it to to 190 cool it down & run it up to 200 in the oven to finish. Skip the plastic wrap as it will cause the meat to steam during the cool down over cooking it, wrap loosely in foil and reheat everything at 250

TBS-BBQ
12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I understand the reasoning behind no saran wrap, but why cool the brisket to just bring it back up in the oven? Why not go straight from the UDS to the oven, or leave it in the UDS to 200? Just wondering.

SmokyOkie
12-14-2011, 04:29 PM
SWkip the saran wrap. When you reheat, do it meat side dwon and pull th foil up tight to the meat then crimp it leaving the bone side open. this will keep them moist without steaming.

You aren't doing KCBS,so I would cook the brisket to 200 and keep it it it's au jus in foil.

People like over cooked brisket so long as it is juicy.

If you cook it to 180 it will be pretty rubbery and hard.

Of course, you do realize that if your buddy is any good at all and is not reheating, your chances are kinda dim.

TBS-BBQ
12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
He has to cook Sunday and reheat also. Plus, he's using a gas cooker with no charcoal, just some wood chips. Last year all we did were ribs and I was able to beat him. It's really just a friendly comp that results in a lot of trash talking and eating, with bragging rights to the winner. In July, our town does a little backyard comp that we are actually on the same team. We got third last year.

SmokyOkie
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Best of luck to you. Please let us knw how it goes...and pix are nice too!

TBS-BBQ
12-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Well, we had our little comp last night. 15 members of the department were the judges. I won the ribs 12 to 3, and the brisket 10 to 5. It was a fun night, I know I should've taken pics, but I didn't get a chance to. I'll figure that out and post them next time. I thought the brisket was good, the ribs, I've done better. Overall it was fun and there were no leftovers. :thumbs up:

PigCicles
12-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Good on you buster! It can be tough to cook then reheat and get the real results that you want. Wood fuel should win over gas any day just on flavor alone.

Congrats on taking the bragging rights :cheer: