PDA

View Full Version : comp chix on cobb grill

Chargrilled
12-12-2011, 09:43 AM
thinking about picking up a cobb grill for chic cookin at comps this coming year. Hope to fit about 10-12 thighs on it for 6 turn in pieces. Any experience with these grills. I know they cook up to 450 degrees and burn with like 8 briquettes.

notbobvilla
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I bought one of those a few years ago to use when we went RV'ing. I never liked it because it was way to small to cook on. It did hold temps well and only used 8-10 briquettes. Wife thought it was big enough but I only used it once and put it in the storage bin of the RV. I think I saw it floating around the garage recently, if I can find I will look at it again to see how many thighs fit on it, I don't think very many will. We can probably work out a deal to get you one cheap.:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I would recommend that you look to see what the winners are using for their chix and make oyur choices from among them.

I don't know about the Cobb, but I do know a lot of folks use Webers.

Remember Trav, you will want to cook at least a dozen thighs, so think in terms of what would handle that without overcrowding and still give even cooking across the grate.

Chargrilled
12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I bought one of those a few years ago to use when we went RV'ing. I never liked it because it was way to small to cook on. It did hold temps well and only used 8-10 briquettes. Wife thought it was big enough but I only used it once and put it in the storage bin of the RV. I think I saw it floating around the garage recently, if I can find I will look at it again to see how many thighs fit on it, I don't think very many will. We can probably work out a deal to get you one cheap.:msn-wink:
Let me know!!!

I would recommend that you look to see what the winners are using for their chix and make oyur choices from among them.

I don't know about the Cobb, but I do know a lot of folks use Webers.

Remember Trav, you will want to cook at least a dozen thighs, so think in terms of what would handle that without overcrowding and still give even cooking across the grate.
Got the Weber taken care of Tim. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I figured.:msn-wink:

Chargrilled
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
thinking the way of the weber, 12.5 inches diameter of cooking space would leave me enuff for 10 thighs but I already got a weber and will start cookin bird with smoke on that. Unless I am offer a good opportunity on a used Cobb grill???? :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
You don't want to do your chix on a little Weber. Use the big Weber, and don't worry about how much smoke you put on it.

Chargrilled
12-14-2011, 01:50 PM
yea, we got an 18.5" not a smokie joe, good to go. Sort of, got to build another drum or have my partner bring his smoker as we'll be doing everything else on one drum, thank god for cambro:msn-wink:

notbobvilla
02-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm sorry Chargrilled I forgot all about looking for the Cobb :exasper: Wife says it's still in the basement of the RV, you still interested in trying one out?

Chargrilled
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
thanks for lookin brother, we are going another direction with the chicken. We'll see how it turns out and will be in touch.

cabinetmaker
03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry Chargrilled I forgot all about looking for the Cobb :exasper: Wife says it's still in the basement of the RV, you still interested in trying one out?

Your RV has a basement?:wow:

SmokyOkie
03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Your RV has a basement?:wow:

You kowtow Curt, the storage area under the main floor.

notbobvilla
03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Anytime you want try the Cobb just let me know. It's just laying around.
Hey Curt just like a 914 is a NARP, the RV basement is a NARB (Not A Real Basement):msn-wink:

cabinetmaker
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I guess it is kinda like a basement.:blushing::shrug: After all, a 914 is kinda like a Porsche, it just handles better.:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
It is kinda funny to think about an RV with a true basement.:msn-wink: