PDA

View Full Version : Water, sand or nothin?

Red Apple Guy
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I have the pan of my Weber Smokey Mountain filled with sand and covered with foil. How 'bout you?

Bbq Bubba
01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd say your ahead of the game, sand is the way to go!! :cool:

PigCicles
01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd say your ahead of the game, sand is the way to go!! :cool:

That doesn't make for much of a discussion bubba. At least put up a fight before you agree.

I say water, cuz I can. Sand is better though. c@

peculiarmike
01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Last smoke I changed the GOSM gasser to sand. Worked great, I like it.

ultramag
01-27-2008, 01:23 AM
I have the pan of my Weber Smokey Mountain filled with sand and covered with foil. How 'bout you?

I use sand, water, and sometimes nothing at all in my WSM. It depends on what I am cooking and the ambient conditions.

Kew_el_steve
01-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Water. No good reason. Freezing isn't a problem here, and that steam looks like it might do some good. It just works for me.

TX Sandman
01-27-2008, 09:37 AM
No WSM here, but I use water in my kettle if I need a heatsink.

Just to muddy the waters even more, I've heard folks use clay flowerpot bases in their WSMs and ECBs.

ds7662
01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Have been using water in the ECB's for a couple of years. No problems with it. Might give the sand a try though:cool:

JamesB
01-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I used water in the pan of my WSM for one cook only... the very first one on it. It produced a soggy bark on the brisket I cooked that day and I switched to sand the very next cook. That was several years go and the soggy bark could have been caused by something else, but I've been using sand every since.

James.

bowhnter
01-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Currently sand. As soon as I remember when I am at a hw store will get a couple clay saucers to give a try.

crewdawg52
01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I like beer. :)

TX Sandman
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM

It makes me a jolly good fellow. :D

JamesB
01-30-2008, 10:09 PM
It makes me feel mellow...

SmokyOkie
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM

So do I, but what's that got to do with the topic of the thread?:silly:

BrisketRex
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I've used water primarily but had a hard time getting hotter temps when I wanted them. I actually filled mine up with landscaping rocks...........it's all I had at the moment. I covered it with foil, and got the hotter temps I was looking for. So much so, that I was running it with two vents closed and the third vent just a hair open. I've been curious about the clay pot mod, but the rocks seem to work just fine.

I like beer too.................too much sometimes!

Willkat98
02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
My WSM, ECB, and Bandera all came with a water pan.

Water goes in the water pan, thats how it got its name.

I'll put sand in the sand pan, the first time I buy a cooker that comes with one.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
You can order the sand pan and the nuthin pan online. :chickn4:

creepyrat
03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
i use sand and cover with foil, and beer helps everything cook or it helps the cook or something like that

peculiarmike
03-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Actually, you can fill it with sand and then pour a bit of water in it to add humidity.
Then pour some beer in yourself. Generally works for me.

gunrunner2491
03-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Is the beer for you or the pit? I'm just asking.

Pork N Stein
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
When I still had my WSM I had switched to the foiled flower pot base in the top of the standard weber water pan. I had to close the dampers a little more to keep the temps down, but it was nice not to have to worry about running outta water on the overnight cooks, and sand had a tendency to turn into a rock hard mass in the pan after a while so when I wanted to use water for another kind of cook, it was a pain to get out. I guess it would have helped if I'd foiled the water pan before adding the sand...:blushing:

bowhnter
04-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I have to change my response I had above of using sand...

I now use nothing in the pan. I find I can control the temp just as well without anything in it so why bother. Just a simple cleanup by taking the foil off the pan after the cook.

swamprb
04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I started out using a claypot base with foil over it. It eventually cracked, I don't know if it was heat related or from bouncing around the trailer.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_2245.jpg

I used JB Weld to mend it.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_2244.jpg

While the epoxy was curing I had read of a guy using ceramic gas grill briqs in the waterpan for a heat sink. I had a bag of Red Lava Rocks from an old gasser so I put them in the WSM waterpan and a ceramic pizza stone on top. I foil the stone and have a foiled drip pan to catch the drippings.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_2242.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_2243.jpg

I just load up the WSM with briq, fire it up with a weed torch, watch my temps rise, put on the meats and adjust the vents down as the temps stabilize. It takes a little getting used to it but if you don't watch the temps on the way up and throttle down, it will get away from you and it takes a while to bring it down. It works for me and the temps are very stable and I rarely touch the vents.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_2238.jpg

I've never used water in the WSM pan, dry from the get go! Clean up is a snap, just toss the foil on the drip pan!
Brian

PigCicles
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Brian. I have some ceramic briquetts that I might try out in my GOSM to see how that works.

peculiarmike
04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I switched to sand in my GOSM last fall. It works fine.

SmokyOkie
04-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Being familiar with the chemical make up of JB weld (I run a chemical co.), I wouldn't recommend using it in your WSM. It will likely exceed it's temperature rating and put off some nasty fumes.

Are you familiar with Jim Minion's WSM method? He fills the c'coal pan then starts about 8 or 10 briquettes in a chimney and places them on top in the middle of the pan. This way, the fire has to burn down and out and you have less tendency to have temps run away on you.

GReat lookin' Grub!

TX Sandman
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM
GReat lookin' Grub!

:kewlpics: What he said! Thanks, Brian!

Ranbo
04-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Water or empty pan. Never tried sand.

Willkat98
04-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Nice pics Brian.

Love those handles on the WSM, even though it looks like you cook with the door upside down.

The door "knob" should be on the bottom to prevent air leakage (Now that, is another debate!!)

SmokyOkie
04-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Nice pics Brian.

Love those handles on the WSM, even though it looks like you cook with the door upside down.

The door "knob" should be on the bottom to prevent air leakage (Now that, is another debate!!)

Trouble maker.

swamprb
04-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Being familiar with the chemical make up of JB weld (I run a chemical co.), I wouldn't recommend using it in your WSM. It will likely exceed it's temperature rating and put off some nasty fumes.

Are you familiar with Jim Minion's WSM method? He fills the c'coal pan then starts about 8 or 10 briquettes in a chimney and places them on top in the middle of the pan. This way, the fire has to burn down and out and you have less tendency to have temps run away on you.

GReat lookin' Grub!

Have you read the JB-Weld promo claims? Pretty hilarious! Max temp is 600* I'm also using it to repair clay Kamados.

Jim Minion says he uses a weed burner to fire them up, so I guess that still is "the Method"!

Nice pics Brian.

Don't tell me about the door, tell the guy that had a WSM tatooed on his leg!
He' leaking!

My WSM's are in a cart and the knob on top works best for me there. Since I cook dry, there really is no need for it.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_1757.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/100_2237.jpg

SmokyOkie
04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Have you read the JB-Weld promo claims? Pretty hilarious! Max temp is 600* I'm also using it to repair clay Kamados.

Jim Minion says he uses a weed burner to fire them up, so I guess that still is "the Method"!

600 is a pretty good temp for mean cure expoxy, but don't you think there would be times that you might exceed 600? Once thermal decompisition begins in mean cure epoxies, they generally continue to degrade furhter even if the heat source is removed. I'm not telling you how to repair you equipment, I just think that I personally would just go buy a new terra cotta pan.

I suppose that Mr. Minion mat well use many different methods to fire up his many different types of cookers, but he has won national acclaim for his "Minion Method" of firing up WSMs for long or overnight cooks. That is what I was referring to.

I sure do like you WSM set up. It's one of the slickest looking rigs Ive seen . I don't own one, I've been holding out until they come out with a 22 1/2" model. Your rig solves the capacity problem...just buy two! Did you build your cart yourself or did you buy it. Why don't you share how you put it together over in the bullet smokers forum? I'm sure everybody would like to learn more about it.

I'm having a little difficulty identifying the cuts of meat on the smoker. What have you got cooking there?

Willkat98
04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Pretty cool

I had forgotten about the cart mod.

Good looking eats!

TX Sandman
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Kewl pics, Brian! Looks like those chix are huddling up, lookin' for trouble. :msn-wink:

Like Tim said, I hope you post that cart in the bullet smoker section. Might spark some ideas for others.

swamprb
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
600 is a pretty good temp for mean cure expoxy, but don't you think there would be times that you might exceed 600? Once thermal decompisition begins in mean cure epoxies, they generally continue to degrade furhter even if the heat source is removed. I'm not telling you how to repair you equipment, I just think that I personally would just go buy a new terra cotta pan.

I suppose that Mr. Minion mat well use many different methods to fire up his many different types of cookers, but he has won national acclaim for his "Minion Method" of firing up WSMs for long or overnight cooks. That is what I was referring to.

I sure do like you WSM set up. It's one of the slickest looking rigs Ive seen . I don't own one, I've been holding out until they come out with a 22 1/2" model. Your rig solves the capacity problem...just buy two! Did you build your cart yourself or did you buy it. Why don't you share how you put it together over in the bullet smokers forum? I'm sure everybody would like to learn more about it.

I'm having a little difficulty identifying the cuts of meat on the smoker. What have you got cooking there?

On the JB-Weld on the claypot base, I haven't used it since switching to pizza stones. Most people put the claypot in the WSM waterpan and foil it over. As for the epoxy on the Kamado repairs , it will be covered over with furnace cement.

The cuts of meats are Corned Beef points that had been soaked to remove some of the salt for Pastrami, some Twice Smoked Ham Hocks for the bean pot, and four Chickens.

SmokyOkie
04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I thought those looked like hocks. You've done such a good job of laying the smoke to the corned beef that it looks like uncured beef. Do you have a seasoning mix that you pack onto the corned beef before you smoke it or do you just do 'em naked?

peculiarmike
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Those chickens look good doing the macarena on that grill. :monkey:

TX Sandman
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Those chickens look good doing the macarena on that grill. :monkey:

Nah. Gotta be the Hokey Pokey! :chickn4:

SmokinTexas
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
why sand ?
never used it, never really heard that either. Thanks for any reply's...

Can sand be used in a stick smoker or is that a sin ?

SmokyOkie
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Sand works in a bullet smoker as a heat sink to absorb and distribute heat evenly, sort of a buffer between the fire and the food. It also helps keep temps constant. Basically it does similar to water without producing the steam.

SmokinTexas
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
ahh
thanks