PDA

View Full Version : Getting green tomatoes red

ColoradoSmoker
11-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I had to pull my tomatoes from plants about 4 weeks ago because the temp. was going down to the 20's & 30's I had about 4 to 5 dozen green tomatoes my mother said to wrap each one in newspaper & put in a box or a small storage box & put in basement & they would turn red I thought she was crazy I did what she said & about 2 weeks I went down to the basement & they had all turned red & then when we ate them they were as good as if the sun turned them red---Ken:thumbs up:

Primo
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I had to pull my tomatoes from plants about 4 weeks ago because the temp. was going down to the 20's & 30's I had about 4 to 5 dozen green tomatoes my mother said to wrap each one in newspaper & put in a box or a small storage box & put in basement & they would turn red I thought she was crazy I did what she said & about 2 weeks I went down to the basement & they had all turned red & then when we ate them they were as good as if the sun turned them red---Ken:thumbs up:
also put them in brown bags and put in a closet .will work too

SmokyOkie
11-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I have done that manyn times.
We are ususally about half sick of tomatoes by the first frost, but this year was a terrible tomato year so we put about 3 or 4 dozen of them in paper bags.

the will ripen just like they do for grocery store tomatoes. the make ethane and that is what ripens them. If you want them to turn red faster, put a banana in the bag. thgey make a lot more ethane.

They will turn red, and generally be much better than gracery store maters, but I gotta respectfully disagree that they are as good as vine ripened maters.

BluDawg
11-11-2011, 08:04 PM
When life gives you green tomatoes FRY 'EM.

Vermin99
11-11-2011, 10:23 PM
:whathesaid:

Bubblehead
11-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I tried the newspaper and paper bag thing last week, went to check them this morning and everything was moldy. :exasper:

So basically we got NOTHING from our garden this year.