PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods or Stumps..?

Umpa
11-02-2011, 11:15 PM
well the Mom in law wants to buy my truck. so i'll have an extra couple of bucks to do something stupid with, so why not buy a new smoker. one that i can get some sleep with. i love the UDS but very limited to capacity. and BOB, my stickburner..well, its a home-made stick burner. need i explain that? so..

BW Party extended or Stumps Stretch? (leaning towards the stumps as i can drive down and pick it up and its got wheels already for $3200ish..)

What say ye? yes, i have other towing means. yes i have a trailer that i could commit to either smoker to be more perminantly mounted to. i just want some sleep... ha

Joneser
11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm really impressed with the Stumps.

SmokyOkie
11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
There are plusses and minusses t both.

My biggest issue with the Stumps is the blow torch effect where the heat comes in. I also understand that it can be difficult to get as much smoke into the oven as you want given the design.

My biggest issue with the Ext Party is getting emptying the water pan when it is still half full.

You can also have the Ext Party and put nice off road casters on it for well under 3000.00 delivered.

Two people can easily lift the Ext party and put it where they want it.

I'm sure I'm a bit prejudiced as I have been cooking on Backwoods for around four years.

Here's an idea, look at the MIM winners and see how many of them cook on Backwoods vs Stumps.

Hey, here's another idea, PM Buttlover's. He has an Ext Party and his team mate has a Stumps Classic.

Fatback Joe
11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed which ever you decide.

I like Stumps GF system, makes life easy.

Butt Lover's
11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Both produce great Q...

The BWS produces a product with a true wood smoke flavor if you choose to use lump, but the water pan is a pain to use, the shelving leaves a little to be desired and at the temps I cook at the water pan needs to checked often. With a guru, the BWS has never been off even a degree unless I open the door. It cooks on all shelves evenly (biggest I ever noticed was 3 degrees top to bottom).

The Stumps is much more user friendly. It will set on the temp you want it on all night long with or without a guru. The only use for a guru on a stumps is to speed up the recovery after you open a door on it. The shelves are easy to get in and out of the smoker and clean. There can be as much as a 40 degree temperature swing from top to bottom - which I love for comps, depending on how you set it up.

That being said, I like the BWS better.

All the things I mentioned are just my opinion, I am not expert. lol But each can be set up to use however you want and both are great!

cabinetmaker
11-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I think Mike just settled it. Buy one of each!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo:

Butt Lover's
11-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I know someone who could make you a good deal on a BWS, go here http://www.backwoodsok.com/

:)

Umpa
11-04-2011, 11:56 PM
well.. still stumped on the stumps. ha. i'll let ya know what i figure out.. i like the water pan cookers tho. i was looking at a big whole hog cooker made by maxifab last year.. (the guy that makes Myrons stuff). simple design and efficient. just to dang big.

which gives better smoke flavor? gonna be hard to get that anywhere near what we are used to on the offset stickburner.. which BTW is rolling right now with some butts and bones in it. been 5 minutes, time to go load more wood. eh, who needs smoke flavor?? hahahahaha

SmokyOkie
11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Nothing is going to give you the evenness of temps like the Backwoods convection flow does if that matters to you. It comes in at the top of the sides and has to go back down to the back of the bottom to get out setting up a slow convection roll.

If you would like to give me a call, drop me a PM and I'll give you my #.

mathguy
11-14-2011, 09:05 PM
just wondering: what is the normal temp range on a BWS?

SmokyOkie
11-14-2011, 09:50 PM
just wondering: what is the normal temp range on a BWS?

All BWS units are designed to run from 200 -250 and will do so quite steadily. Higher temps can be run steadily as well, but with the use of a Guru, they will run at just about whatever temp you want. If you want to run over 350, it is best to put a foil pan full of sand in the water pan instead of putting water in it.

jmcrig
11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Had very good results using lava rock in the water pan of my Party. A $7.00 bag from Home Depot is just right.

SmokyOkie
11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Had very good results using lava rock in the water pan of my Party. A $7.00 bag from Home Depot is just right.

Lava rock will work Mark, but it isn't much of a heat sink. In other words, when you open the door to tend the meat, there is nothing there to retain heat.

If you use a hotel pan full of masonry sand, it will hold the heat in well and also prevent excessive grease smoke.

Just my :twocents:

jmcrig
11-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Lava rock will work Mark, but it isn't much of a heat sink. In other words, when you open the door to tend the meat, there is nothing there to retain heat.

If you use a hotel pan full of masonry sand, it will hold the heat in well and also prevent excessive grease smoke.

Just my :twocents:

Yes, you are right, masonry sand will retain more heat. On the other side of the coin, it takes more energy to bring the sand to that point. Not saying lava rock is right for everyone, you have to look at the individual situation. Being in AZ, the ambient temperature is much higher. Also what your personnal pattern of looking/tending the meat. I run a Stoker on mine, I know you're a fan of the other. But in my situation here, the heat lose from openning the upper door has been minnimal tracked by the Stoker on my CPU. And yes, the higher my cook temperature, the greater the heat lose. But most of my cooks are at 225 degrees. And as always, this works for me and my situation.
I also foil over the lava rock to cut down on any greese smoke and cleaning.

I think this is 4 cents worth.

SmokyOkie
11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
If you're going to cover them with foil, why bother with the lava rock? Why not just use a foil pan? Better yet, if you're cooking around 225, why not just use what the cooker is designed to use, water?

PigCicles
11-16-2011, 09:26 PM
At the end of the day it's his pond Tim. I guess he can throw stones at it any way he wants.

The sand works well as does the water, but I can imagine the lava rocks covered in foil still does pretty good too ya know.

SmokyOkie
11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Hey Joe, not trying to tell Mark what to do or not do, just wondering why. That's how I learn.

PigCicles
11-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah Tim, I know how you ya do things. I just didn't want it to sound as if you were criticizing. You ask more questions than a curious 5 yr old :msn-wink:.

SmokyOkie
11-17-2011, 09:26 PM
It's this darned over active brain. thanks for keeping an eye on me Joe!

Mark, sorry if you thought I was criticizing. that was not my intention.

slosmoke
07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
I am new to this site and already see a lot of folks with the same interests ,I am looking for new smoker and looking at a few different kinds ,1st the backwood ,2nd myrons has one that I like the fully insulated model, I am also interested in a rotisserie model made by a company Nolens has anyone have any feedback on any of these

jmcrig
07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Just noticed the above links. I'm good, not that thin skinned.

SmokyOkie
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Which links Mark?

Schmokin Party
07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
So, Tim, can you get up to 350 F with the water? I thought I would need to go with sand to get that high even with a guru.

I adjusted my cook temp to 275 F, but think chicken would do better at higher temps. I haven't done any chicken yet, but saw this post and thought I would ask...

How long do you think it would take to evaporate a full water pan at 350F?

SmokyOkie
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I think I have cooked that high with water before, but that is pushing it. At sea level atmospheric pressure, water won't get over 212*. I usually use a foil pan full of sand when cooking at 300* and above.

As to how long it would take ot boil off the water I don't know, but i can guarantee that then it is gone, the temps would sky rocket.

jmcrig
07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Which links Mark?

Should have read "posts".

cabinetmaker
07-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Water evaporation rates can be calculated, but it depends on many factors. Since evaporation happens only at the surface, #1 factor would be how much area of surface water.Then you have to factor in the volume of the water (cubic inches or centimeters). Relative humidity will play a part also, and ambient air temps. Since the temp in your smoker will rise and fall, the rate changes, as warmer air will have a higher saturation point than cooler air. Rates could be anywhere from 6 to 25 % per hour. Measure the amount of water lost in an hour at any given degree of temperature and that will give you rate of loss percentage for those particular set of factors. There is no way to determine how fast your water pan will empty as a constant. Its ever changing as you just cannot control all the factors involved. Not in a smoker anyway.

Umpa
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
okay.. i've started the search again. if you were to be looking for comp smokers. Around here, more KCBS, but still a lot of MBM style comps. would you buy 2 fatboys so that you can rack up one and have it running a little hotter than the other. or 2 party extended..? lighter (cheaper).. either way vary small shoulder quantity.. but want to be able to load up in the back of the truck and be able to tow the camper. I've got a trailer that i could build off of... but wanna be more mobile and not hitch dependant. (wheels, ramps and a come along will get almost any into the truck.. so Competitor is a possiblilty.. or perhaps the Piglet. then i'm good for whatever.. but only 1 cooker with those two.. and heavy...
thoughts?

what say ye?

SmokyOkie
01-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Two GII Parties, the perfect combination of space and portability. If you go Piglet, bump up to the Piglet Plus for an extra 5" depth in the oven chamber. You can put your hotel pans in front to back instead of sideways.

I'll send my phone# if you want to call for details.

Umpa
01-15-2013, 07:30 PM
yeah.. send me the digits.. wait..same as on your website?

Two GII Parties, the perfect combination of space and portability. If you go Piglet, bump up to the Piglet Plus for an extra 5" depth in the oven chamber. You can put your hotel pans in front to back instead of sideways.

I'll send my phone# if you want to call for details.

SouthGA
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
well.. still stumped on the stumps. ha. i'll let ya know what i figure out.. i like the water pan cookers tho. i was looking at a big whole hog cooker made by maxifab last year.. (the guy that makes Myrons stuff). simple design and efficient. just to dang big.

Since you mentioned that above, you might want to check out Myron's new line of cookers
http://myronmixonsmokers.com/

Umpa
01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Going to be the proud poppa of a Backwoods
gII party....woooot wooooot. Will order it in the next couple of days... Sometime in march ill be breaking it in. Next up...chubby gII....:cheer:

Schmokin Party
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Going to be the proud poppa of a Backwoods
gII party....woooot wooooot. Will order it in the next couple of days... Sometime in march ill be breaking it in. Next up...chubby gII....:cheer:
Good on ya! Ordered mine a couple months ago and it is headed my way now. I have an Extended Party but am really encouraged by the GII Party that I can put a full steam tray in. My :twocents: is that you can't go wrong with Backwoods. If you bought from the Okie, it is a double bonus....he takes great care of his customers.

Umpa
01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
IT'S DONE!!!! Called Tim today and have paid for and am awaiting the follow up info for delivery of a brand spanking new G2 Party...:wings:

Time to update the signature i suppose...

SmokyOkie
01-21-2013, 11:40 PM
IT'S DONE!!!! Called Tim today and have paid for and am awaiting the follow up info for delivery of a brand spanking new G2 Party...:wings:

Time to update the signature i suppose...

And congratulations to the new proud member of the Backwoods Brigade.

Congratulations Spence, and thank you for your business.

Umpa
01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Got the build date for my new smoker.. says it should be done by May 18th.. say whaaat? thats something like 110 days.....2,640 hours.....158,400 minutes.. so much for the instant gratification. ha. :shrug::frusty:

wonder what the turn time on shipping is...

Schmokin Party
01-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Got the build date for my new smoker.. says it should be done by May 18th.. say whaaat? thats something like 110 days.....2,640 hours.....158,400 minutes.. so much for the instant gratification. ha. :shrug::frusty:

wonder what the turn time on shipping is...

My G2 Party just showed up today and is in the garage. Tim said it was supposed to ship last Friday. That would be around 3 days Shipping from Shreveport to Fort Worth. I doubt they moved it over the weekend.

They did cut back a bit on the shipping materials as the top was open, which let me inspect it well. The only surprise was that it came black and I was expecting red. Black is fine with me and it matches my Extended Party.

Good Luck!

Umpa
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
really black? i thought i read that the standard color was going to be red.

Got any pics of it yet?? one thing about it, if this is the "new cooker" one would think you'd be able to find some info on them...somewhere.. Tim seems to know his stuff.. so i'm taking his word on it..

Schmokin Party
01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
really black? i thought i read that the standard color was going to be red.

Got any pics of it yet?? one thing about it, if this is the "new cooker" one would think you'd be able to find some info on them...somewhere.. Tim seems to know his stuff.. so i'm taking his word on it..

I have a full plate till the weekend. I will uncrate it and take some pictures for you. It is black, but if you go on some websites they say that the color was red but was subject to change. I guess it isn't subject anymore....LOL

swamprb
01-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Glad they ditched the red in favor of the black.

Luco
01-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I have a G2 Party. One of the original with the red paint. Works great and very efficient. I run mine with a Guru and don't have to touch it once it is up to temp.

tomshoots
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I have a G2 Party. One of the original with the red paint. Works great and very efficient. I run mine with a Guru and don't have to touch it once it is up to temp.

Hey Luco, I see from your profile page that you are new here. We'd all like to give you a proper welcome. Why not introduce yourself in the C'mon in and sit down forum? Tell us a little about yourself your experience and your toys.

And :sign0016:

Umpa
02-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Best wife ever.. (preemptive apologies to Smokieokie, or better yet, to backwoodsok.com) but next weekend I'll be the proud poppa of a G2 chubby. She found one in GA that will be ready to pick up next weekend. Nice. I'll get to learn on the smaller BWS while the party us being built. All she said is that I owe her one. Wonder what that will cost me someday. Ha. Who cares.

Road trip.....:)

sent from my Droid with tapatalk ignore the spelling..

SmokyOkie
02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Best wife ever.. (preemptive apologies to Smokieokie, or better yet, to backwoodsok.com) but next weekend I'll be the proud poppa of a G2 chubby. She found one in GA that will be ready to pick up next weekend. Nice. I'll get to learn on the smaller BWS while the party us being built. All she said is that I owe her one. Wonder what that will cost me someday. Ha. Who cares.

Road trip.....:)

sent from my Droid with tapatalk ignore the spelling..

Good deal Spence. Sorry I couldn't fill your needs.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Umpa
02-23-2013, 07:24 AM
tim you took great care of me.. she had asked why it was gonna take so long and why no one seems to stock em. then jumped on google...

you still awesome!!