PDA

View Full Version : Gasser recommendations

gt2003
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Here's my dilemma, my charbroil commercial series grill is just about TOAST after 2 1/2 years of hard cooking. I would need to replace the vaporizer bars and the grates to bring it back up to par which would probably cost me close to $200. So, please give me recommendations on a gas grill that has some life expectancy. It's stored outside but under my back patio so it isn't exposed to much weather. Are the Webers more durable? I wouldn't mind spending a bit more money (6-700 maybe) for a grill that would last 5 or 6 years. So, what's your experience and what would you recommend? I'd even consider a hasty bake if they are worth it. Talk to me gentlemen!

BluDawg
11-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Weber or Ducane

cabinetmaker
11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I've heard of folks having hastybakes for 20+ years

gt2003
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
THANKS! That's why I came here. I'm not talking a grill that will sit on the back porch unused for 100 years. I'm talking one that will last for 5 years or so being used, on average, a couple of times per week if not more.

Do you all have personal experience with the ones above based on useage like I mentioned?

peculiarmike
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I just bought a CharBroil RED infrared gas grill. It's all infrared. Only place you can get them is Home Depot. I researched gas grills a bunch and the RED is the one. Consumer Reports says they have had one under test 2 years and they rate it the best of all they have tested.
There is no gas flame under the food. It has a metal pan between the burners and the grates that acts as an infrared emittor. It produces HIGH temp. for searing if needed. (That also acts as the cleaner for the grates and infrared emittor pan)
So far it has produced some great burgers & pork chops. I have not had time to use it as much as I would like. But I will.
It lives on a covered deck and won't see any harsh weather. We grill a lot and like the convenience of gas. (Yeah Tim, I know. But I'm not you.)
Just info. You asked after all. :msn-wink:
(And I have a Hasty Bake. It is great, I like it. You have ashes to contend with.)

gt2003
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Well Mike, I do appreciate the input. I can spend $300 every few years for a grill if I must. However, I could spend some more cash if I could get a longer life outta them. My charbroil cooks AWESOMELY! It just pisses me off that the grates and vaporizer bars are so damn expensive. I mean really, I can spend a little more and get a whole new grill versus just replacing a few parts for almost the same price. I know they gotta make $ but this is crazy!

peculiarmike
11-02-2011, 09:23 PM
The RED has no vaporizer bars. The grates are heavy porcelain coated and never see direct flame. Burners are lifetime warranty.
It might blow up next week. Or it might last a long time.
:shrug:
I'm gonna find out.

I'm just throwin' this out since you asked for input.
Each to his own. :msn-wink:

gt2003
11-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Mike, I seriously appreciate your input. I'm not predisposed to one grill or another and not even gas versus charcoal, just looking for honest input and I do appreciate it! Thanks again

SmokyOkie
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I think you'll have a tough time finding a gasser that will last for 5 years under heavy use without replacing certain wear parts. Look for brass or stainless burners.

gt2003
11-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Tim, what about a charcoal grill? Would that make much of a difference? Maybe a big green egg or something similar?

Vermin99
11-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Tim, what about a charcoal grill? Would that make much of a difference? Maybe a big green egg or something similar?

If speed is what you are after I can be cooking on my Weber kettle in around 15 minutes using a weed burner to start the coals. Personally I don't like cooking on gas grills,I have not cooked on one that has even heat throughout the whole grill like a charcoal grill does.

BluDawg
11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
I ave a Weber Gennisis that I bought in 1995 it took 5 yrs of use before I had to replace the flavorizer bars, I spent a little extra and got the SS ones its been sitting in the shed since 2004 collecting dust. like John stated my weber kettle is just as fast more even heat and the food tastes better. I've had the same Weber kettle since 1985. I replaced the cooking grate 1 time it gets used at least 200 days a year.

TX1911
11-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I just bought a Huntington Patriot from Cabelas. Price was $499.99, 4 burner, side burner, rotisserie burner, and rotisserie kit. The grates are cast iron and everything seems pretty well made. Spending the $ for a comparable Weber just wasn't in the budget.

I've only had the opportunity to use it a couple of times so far, but I've gotten it up to 600 degrees with only three of the burners on, and I've had no trouble holding heat and cooking via offset.

Chili Head
11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I've had a weber genesis stainless model for the last 5 years and it's been flawless. It sits outside but covered when not in use. I couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk