PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Rub

ColoradoSmoker
10-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Last week I saw a rub for
smoked spatchcock chicken by Bigpapam109 here at theqjoint
is says it enough rub for 2 chickens I was going to put it on the 2 spatchcock chicken I will be smoking I followed his recipe for the rub it does not look like it's enough for 2 spatchcock chickens what do you guys think?----
Recipe----2-tablespoons (TB) onion powder, 1 TB white sugar, 1 teaspoon (tsp) garlic powder, 3 TB Italian seasoning --any kind will work as long as it has oregano in it. 1 tsp black pepper, 1/8 tsp powdered cayenne or go to 1/4 if you want more heat. You can mix some of t he rub with softened butter and then work your fingers under a few spots in the skin and rub around. Then baste on some olive oil onto the skin and then a nice coating of the rub. He says cherry wood is great on the smoker , 225 degrees until breast is 170 and thighs are 180. Thanks-----Ken

BluDawg
10-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I never cook chicken that low I don't like rubbery skin 350 is my minimum 375 even better. Some folks use their rub sparingly if you don't think its enough double of triple the amounts. If I'm tying out a new one I mix small quantiles and I go by parts. so if I like it I can mix as much or as as I want. A "part" can be anything from a 1/4 tsp to a dump truck. Ss an example:

Blus' poultry rub

3 parts McCormick season all
1 part black pepper
1 part white sugar
1 part dry sage
1/4 part cayenne pepper