PDA

View Full Version : Salsa

mwthomas
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Does anybody have a super salsa recipe. You wouldn't think a man that works for the company that makes "Pace" products would need help in this area, but I do. It would really help to get my wife off my back if I could make her a wonderful dip. Thanks in advance.

glued2it
07-08-2008, 07:41 AM
I usualy just wint when I make salsa. a little of this and a little of that, taste repeat.

You can always try here http://www.recipezaar.com/

Willkat98
07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Have you tried Pace picante sauce?

Its better than salsa

SmokyOkie
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Use the following ingredients in order of quantity as follows and you'll have a good base:

Tomato
Onion
Chili peppers (jalapeņo, serrano, habanero, New Mexico poblano, or whatever you enjoy)
Garlic
Lime or lemon Juice
Cilantro
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar if needed

If you put those things together, it will be good. It's only a matter of adjusting the proportions to your liking.

From there you can also go to adding other things like black beans, roasted corn, peaches, mango, pineapple, or whatever.

If you do this and come up with a good recipe, share it with us.

Hope this helps. It's the best I can do because every batch of salsa I make is a little to a lot different.

mwthomas
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I am looking for something beyond "Pace Products". Tim may have hit the nail on the head with his suggestion. Thanks

edgybob
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Made some Carnitas this weekend with corn torillas guacamole, and salsa cruda.
Here is the recipe I used:

4 tomatoes (seeded) cut into cubes
1 Yellow onion cut into cubes
2 seeded jalapenos (wife and kids are light weights)
handful of chopped cilantro
touch of garlic powder

It looked and tasted great.

SmokyOkie
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I tend to think of Pico as a condiment and Guac as a salad (true guac is generally known as "ensalada guacamole" (in English, guacamole salad)as opposed to the "dip" that the Americanized version has become.

While I like them all,(an avacado is a wonderful thing)I don't think of guac as a "Salsa".

nascarchuck
08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
This stuff is pretty good, but I would slowly add the peppers. I speak from experience! I made this per the recipe about 5 times until I got ahold of some really hot peppers. I couldn't tone it down any so now I add the peppers slowly!

Chevy's Fire Roasted Salsa

6 medium tomatoes
Olive oil
10 fresh red or green jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons mesquite-flavored liquid smoke

Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.

Remove stems from the tomatoes, then rub oil over each tomato.
Put the tomatoes on the skillet, turning them every now and then. After about 5 minutes, add all the jalapenos to the skillet. Continue to turn the tomatoes and peppers periodically. When almost the entire surface of the peppers has charred black, remove them from the grill. The tomatoes will turn partially black. When the skin begins to come off they are done. Put the peppers and tomatoes on a platter and let them cool.

When the tomatoes and peppers are cool enough to handle, remove most of the skin from the tomatoes and place them into a food processor. Place jalapenos into the food processor, including the stem ends. Discard the liquid remaining on the platter.

Add remaining ingredients to the food processor and puree on high speed for 5 to 10 seconds or until the mixture has a smooth consistency.

Place the salsa into a covered container and chill for several hours or overnight so that the flavors develop.

Makes approximately 2 cups.

jts70
08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
I have to agree with Smoky O on this, I do not use sugar in mine and I use bell in addition to. Just taste as you go.

Use the following ingredients in order of quantity as follows and you'll have a good base:

Tomato
Onion
Chili peppers (jalapeņo, serrano, habanero, New Mexico poblano, or whatever you enjoy)
Garlic
Lime or lemon Juice
Cilantro
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar if needed

If you put those things together, it will be good. It's only a matter of adjusting the proportions to your liking.

From there you can also go to adding other things like black beans, roasted corn, peaches, mango, pineapple, or whatever.

If you do this and come up with a good recipe, share it with us.

Hope this helps. It's the best I can do because every batch of salsa I make is a little to a lot different.

SmokyOkie
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
This stuff is pretty good, but I would slowly add the peppers. I speak from experience! I made this per the recipe about 5 times until I got ahold of some really hot peppers. I couldn't tone it down any so now I add the peppers slowly!

6 medium tomatoes
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt

Put the tomatoes on the skillet, turning them every now and then. After about 5 minutes, add all the jalapenos to the skillet. Continue to turn the tomatoes and peppers periodically. When almost the entire surface of the peppers has charred black, remove them from the grill. The tomatoes will turn partially black. When the skin begins to come off they are done. Put the peppers and tomatoes on a platter and let them cool.

When the tomatoes and peppers are cool enough to handle, remove most of the skin from the tomatoes and place them into a food processor. Place jalapenos into the food processor, including the stem ends. Discard the liquid remaining on the platter.

Add remaining ingredients to the food processor and puree on high speed for 5 to 10 seconds or until the mixture has a smooth consistency.

Place the salsa into a covered container and chill for several hours or overnight so that the flavors develop.

Why not do 'em on the grill instead of a pan? Also, spose putting them in a paper bag after grilling would help the skins separate?

Chargrilled
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM
When almost the entire surface of the peppers has charred black, remove them from the grill. The tomatoes will turn partially black. When the skin begins to come off they are done. Put the peppers and tomatoes on a platter and let them cool.

I was just watching Food network last weekend when Paula Dean did the above but then put the maters and peppers in a brown paper lunch bag and set on the platter. Her explaination was that the bag contained some of the steam making it a piece of cake to skin them. hummmmmmmmm going to have to try this recipe this weekend, thanks Chuck.

Chargrilled
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Why not do 'em on the grill instead of a pan? Also, spose putting them in a paper bag after grilling would help the skins separate?

LMAO, got me Okie

fredrogers
08-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice! Now I want to make salsa!

I wonder if the farmers market will have some tomatoes this weekend.

-=fred=-

Siesta Man
10-30-2008, 10:05 AM

6 medium tomatoes
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt

When using any pepper that has a questionable amount of heat, you can control that heat with the way that you prepare them. The seeds have only a medium amount of heat. The seed core and the membrane hold the majority of this heat. When cleaning out the seeds and the membrane I get rid of all of the seeds because of wifes dyraticulitus. Throw away the stems, and core. Finally I control the heat by how much membrane is left. Example---If i'm making pepper jelly and the recipe calls for ten Jalapeno's and I want about a medium heat I will clean eight of them totally and leave the veins in the remaining two. I use the same ratio when making fresh or roasted salsas. I have made Habanero/ Mango jam leaving only a minimum of membrane in one pepper and it came out with a medium high heat and really tasty when served over your choice of soft cheese with melba toasted garlic bagette slices as an appetizer. E.T.

P.S. Have 16 year collection of Mexican recipes. Will gladly share. Feel free to e-mail or post anytime if I can be of any help.

Butt Lover's
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Have you tried Pace picante sauce?

Its better than salsa

I know you are not from our 'neck' of the woods with that comment :p

The salsa my (mexican) wife makes is almost just like Smokin Okie, minus the pepper :)

Also - real Mexican guacamole is so thin you can pour it. I like the Americanized version better though.

Siesta Man
10-30-2008, 11:04 AM
My response was to Nascars controling heat in his salsa peppers. Give it a try--It works!!!