PDA

View Full Version : Understanding And Beating The Barbecue Stall, Bane Of All Barbecuers

Vermin99
09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I thought this was a good read, what are your thought on the subject?

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

tomshoots
09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing John. Very interesting read. And it's something I will keep in mind when timing is important in cooking. Like when hungry folks are arriving and I'm in the middle of a stall that's already been going on for 2-3 hrs. Not good when the host can only answer "I don't know!" to the question-"What time's dinner?"

It gives you some options. But you have to decide on which one early enough and plan accordingly. Cook on higher temp. to begin with, or keep it low and foil early.

SmokyOkie
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
OK, so I didn't have time to read the whole article. what is the Cliff NOtes version of it?

What do you do to prevent the stall or overcome it?

Cook hot?

Joneser
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Foil...
It's a long article and study, but worth the read.

PigCicles
09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
It debunks the old statements that the primary reason for the stall is the collogens and connective tissue breaking down. It backs up what is said with tests that confirm what the author is saying.

Everyone should take the time to read through the article

Buzzwinder
09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Good Article! Thanks for sharing it. :thumbs up:

Bubblehead
09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
:whathesaid:

tomshoots
09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
OK, so I didn't have time to read the whole article. what is the Cliff NOtes version of it?

What do you do to prevent the stall or overcome it?

Cook hot?

This is over-simplified, but yes cook at higher temp. (300+) or cook low and slow (225) and foil after 2-3 hrs or 150 deg. IT. The stall is caused by moisture evaporation cooling the meat, much like the cooling effect you experience as your sweat evaporates.

Definitely read when you get time. I bookmarked it for future reference.

SmokyOkie
09-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanx for the Cliff notes guys. I will find time to read it.

Smoke'n Hebrew
04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I know this is an older post but I just came across it and read the article and wanted to say thanks to Vermin99 for posting it. :sign0092:

tomshoots
04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
I know this is an older post but I just came across it and read the article and wanted to say thanks to Vermin99 for posting it. :sign0092:

Mitch, this is a subject that probably needs to be brought up from time to time. Yes, it is an older post, but many newer members may not be aware. It's good info for all of us. Thanks for reminding us.

tomshoots
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Mitch, this is a subject that probably needs to be brought up from time to time. Yes, it is an older post, but many newer members may not be aware. It's good info for all of us. Thanks for reminding us.

And thanks to John, Vermin99 for sharing.